Changing CCTs. Locking Tool

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Rampant Lion

Changing CCTs. Locking Tool

Post by Rampant Lion »

Just got my delivery of an APE tensioner from The Two Wheel Centre in Kings Lynn. My fault, thought I was getting two, not one, for my £60. Think I will order from the USA for the other one, much less at £41.

Anyway, the locking tool you need when changing the tensioners. Do I need to buy a Haynes Manual to find out what it does and looks like, or is there a photo of drawing on the site I could refer to. I really don't want to buy a manual when there is a perfectly good one on this site

Thanks..
Had: CB125. Benelli 250. Yamaha YDS7.Kawasaki Z400. Kawasaki Z650c. Kawasaki Z650B1. Kawasaki Z1300.Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100R. TDM 850 (2 off). Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100RT. Yamaha XT600.

Now: VTR 98 Storm in lovely silver....
Wicky

Re: Changing CCTs. Locking Tool

Post by Wicky »

Jeez one solitary tensioner for £60 is a horrendous mark up - http://www.overstockpartsgalore.com/ (£67 for two) are you sure they haven't forgotten to include the other one?

Maybe Mark Krieger or Bazza can sort you out a single manual CCT at a much better price. admittedly you won''t have a matching pair but it isn't a cosmetic mod , but a pragmatic one and you can't see the front CCT anyhoo - function over form and all that.

Mark Krieger> mkrieger002 at columbus.rr.com

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/memberlis ... ile&u=8046

If you're not planning on reusing the old OEM tensioners just gently unbolt them, and wiggle them free when the timing is set correctly following the guide in the workshop knowledgebase. Then send to bazza for recycling into another pair of manuals....

Get yourself a Haynes as a handy reference for odd jobs but on no account use it when setting the timing for the CCT job. Also download the searchable Honda VTR1000F Service Manual PDF again from the workshop sections of the forum.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

:stupid: What he said. Especially about the timing. Very important that bit. And £60 for one is almost criminal. Ring em up and make sure they didn't mean to send you two. Tray used to do em for 50 euros (about £37) a pair including registered shipping but have no idea where he has disappeared to these days. :?:
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
alec

Post by alec »

tinysmall wrote::stupid: What he said. Especially about the timing. Very important that bit. And £60 for one is almost criminal. Ring em up and make sure they didn't mean to send you two. Tray used to do em for 50 euros (about £37) a pair including registered shipping but have no idea where he has disappeared to these days. :?:
Wonder where Tray has vanished to, he hasn't been on since november ?!!!
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
Jester666

Post by Jester666 »

alec wrote:Wonder where Tray has vanished to, he hasn't been on since november ?!!!
Got a PM from him the other day. His PC is being repaired at the moment so hes not online much.
Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat!
Silver 1998 'Storm! That keeps trying to kill me! And is leaving me soon! :(
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
alec

Post by alec »

Jester666 wrote:
alec wrote:Wonder where Tray has vanished to, he hasn't been on since november ?!!!
Got a PM from him the other day. His PC is being repaired at the moment so hes not online much.
as long as he's ok mate :thumbup:
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
Rampant Lion

Post by Rampant Lion »

Aye, I'm not yer happy bunny. Got a reply from Streetline Racing to say that £60 was the price for one. Be that a lesson..not yet decided what top do about the second adjuster. Will need to get the file out and have a bash at the locking tool.

Cheers again :cry:
Had: CB125. Benelli 250. Yamaha YDS7.Kawasaki Z400. Kawasaki Z650c. Kawasaki Z650B1. Kawasaki Z1300.Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100R. TDM 850 (2 off). Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100RT. Yamaha XT600.

Now: VTR 98 Storm in lovely silver....
alec

Post by alec »

Rampant Lion wrote:Aye, I'm not yer happy bunny. Got a reply from Streetline Racing to say that £60 was the price for one. Be that a lesson..not yet decided what top do about the second adjuster. Will need to get the file out and have a bash at the locking tool.

Cheers again :cry:
Do the front one first as thats the one prone to going then see if Bazza or Tony.mon have one,
klx678

Post by klx678 »

Rampant Lion wrote:Just got my delivery of an APE tensioner from The Two Wheel Centre in Kings Lynn. My fault, thought I was getting two, not one, for my £60. Think I will order from the USA for the other one, much less at £41.

Anyway, the locking tool you need when changing the tensioners. Do I need to buy a Haynes Manual to find out what it does and looks like, or is there a photo of drawing on the site I could refer to. I really don't want to buy a manual when there is a perfectly good one on this site

Thanks..
Should you decide to, one is no problem. You're looking at a total of $43.95 usd to the UK for it, $73.95 usd for a pair. I have no problem doing it either way, should you have interest. That email address - mkrieger002@columbus.rr.com - is right and doing direct is less costly than doing one of my parts on ebay. It is close on the cost so I actually have to add to the shipping cost to cover part of the ebay fees, about half of them. Fact is if you have a friend with another Firestorm or a CBR600F3/4 or early CBR/CB900 you could combine for shipping savings. I can fit up to 5 or 6 bodies into one box at the $13.95 shipping cost which is part of the prices quoted above. I also do many Kawasakis and a few Suzukis too if that could help defray the shipping costs. All single tensioners, except the KLX250, are $30 plus shipping and the doubles run $60, as said, shipping for USPS flat rate priority small box is $13.95 for whatever will fit inside.

It's more about keeping a good bike on the road than milking for the last nickle... or should I say quid?