I'm Scared !!!!

General Bike chat
shaun

I'm Scared !!!!

Post by shaun »

I've just been reading all the stuff posted on here ref cam-chain tensioners 8O . Does anybody Know or a good honda dealer or independant garage around the Northampton area :?:( all the ones i've used b4 have been pants ).
My Storm's a 98 R with 9500 miles on the clock and I'm really tempted to get it into a garage and get the tensioners changed b4 they go pop.
Does anybody know who much it's likely to cost ? Or whether it's worth fitting OE ones or aftermarket ones ( if there's any available ??).
Any advice would be apreciated.
Thanks
Shaun
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

These are some extracts from the US VTR e-mali list
Dustin,

My rear tensioner went out, and started as a clicking noise when idling. It
never was noisy when at speed, but I didn't wait until it got that bad. My
advice when replacing, would be pull the valve cover for that particular
cylinder, and rotate until you can visibly see that the valves are unloaded.
Then remove the tensioner while keeping an eye on the sprockets to make sure
they don't jump a tooth.

Greg G.

Daz,
Take the valve cover off, make sure your valves are unloaded, and simply
change it out. Unless you have a competent shop, I wouldn't let them touch
it.

Greg G.
Daz,

If you have a shop manual, there is nothing to it. If you have ever taken
the tank off, that is the hardest part. Pull the plug out of you left hand
crankcase cover, and rotate until you see the cam lobes unload. When you put
the valve cover back on, put a dab of silicone in the half-moon areas of the
head.

Greg
It's a rubber gasket, and it looked good. No reason to drain coolant, =
or the
oil on the rear cylinder. If you watch the chain when you unload the
tensioner, you can insure that it doesn't. If you want, you can rotate =
the
crank, and check your line-up marks.
Anyone got any comments??

What are the correct crank marking positins for when the rear cams are unloaded?? Would it be best to whip off the cam cover just to make sure before removing the old tensioner??

I'm just wondering if it's worth attempting to replace the rear tensioner my self? Not having a garage prevents me from doing any major work on the bike that can't be completed in a day.
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

before attempting any work yourself,
i would speak to stuart at mcgowans for some advice
& if you are still not 100%fully confidant that you can complete the job dont attempt it.
also you really do need somewhere indoors to work at this time of year
& all the correct tools.
NickMax

Post by NickMax »

Stormtrooper wrote:before attempting any work yourself,

If you are still not 100%fully confidant that you can complete the job dont attempt it.
also you really do need somewhere indoors to work at this time of year
& all the correct tools.
Yup, i agree with what Storm trooper said 100% :) :idea: :!:
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Al,Shaun

First thing to do it make the small tool (well it's a T piece made from thin sheet, steel ally sheet what ever) that's needed to reinsert the tensioner as it is sprung loaded and only comes out as it's on a ratchet. To push the plunger back-in you have to apply pressure to the end and use a small screw driver to wind it back in, once in keep pressure applied and install T piece, stops it coming out until you have fixed it back on the cylinder head.
Next you will have to remove the two covers on the alternator cover (one is so you can turn the crank and t other is to see the timing marks). Also buy two tension gaskets to go between them and the cylinder heads and a tube of hylermar (don't know how to spell that)

Note: only turn crank shaft anti-clockwise else you will be attempting to open valves against tensioners!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next you need to remove petrol tank (this should be easy using the U shaped allen key in the tool box) has 5 hoses (2 fuel, 1 breather, 1 overflow and 1 vacuum for the fuel tap) and the cable for the fuel sender located just behind tank. Then you need to remove the rear rocker cover. Undo the four chrome (or they used to be) bolts on top of the cover, when they are out try not to get crud etc in the holes. Then remove the rocker cover, easiest way (well keeping the gasket attached to the cover) is to lift it using the half-moon pieces of the gasket with ya fingers. Now you can see the valve train, turn the crank anti-clockwise until the RearExhaust and FrontInlet marks on the cam wheels are flush with the top of the cylinder head casting and facing outwards (if you don't who which is the inlet and outlet then best put it back together now), you should also notice the FT mark and the flywheel through the inspection hole on the alternator cover and the cams lobes should both be facing inwards and about 35ish degrees or somit.

If this is the case then you can undo the rear tensioner, undo the bolt a little and then if the tensioner has not moved just give it a tap then use the bolts to remove it as the tensioner will then fully unload (two M6 allen head bolts), also loosen the small bolt at the end of the tensioner first (8mm spanner).

Ohh give up, havn't even got to the front cylinder yet and that's not easily explained if you don't wanna remove the rocker cover cos of all the other sh1t that has to come off first, rads, etc. This will end up about three pages long, best thing to do is either get em changed when you have you clearances checked as all the donkey work would have already been paid for, ie strip down. Wait to they go pop. Buy a manual and if you still have questions post em. Or cross my palm with silver and I'll do em for ya's one day. Or for the cost of a dealer to do it I could sell you an engine for £500, with valve clearances done while ya wait.

Del.
:wink:
shaun

Post by shaun »

Thanks for your advice Del, but from what i've read i think I may take you up on your offer. I don't trust meself past the basics and it sounds a bit bloody complicated to me 8O.
Thanks again
Shaun
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

No probs shaun,

just give us a call mate.

Del.