Chinese brake disks

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Miztaziggy

Chinese brake disks

Post by Miztaziggy »

Does anyone have any thoughts about whether or not they should put their faith in brake disks from e-bay if they look like they come from China?

Are they likely to fall apart when I need them most?
vtwin

Re: Chinese brake disks

Post by vtwin »

You get what you pay for, personaly I stick to EBC / original, but of course its up to you :eek2
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

AMcQ
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

I had a Chinese chain on my vtr, it snapped i was lucky that the damage was minimal so personally i wouldn't trust cheap chinese rubbish for my drive so wouldn't even consider it for my brakes.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I work in Pest Control & have in my time visited quite a few Chinese restaurants.

If you could see some of the horrors I have seen in their kitchens & stock rooms, then you, like me would never touch ANYTHING made by the Chinese again! :Shock1:

:sick: :sick: :sick:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Ilson Lad

Post by Ilson Lad »

A Chinese winch I have fitted to my Jeep packed in this week :evil: Chinese isn't the flavour of the month at the moment :lol:
It'll all be OK in the end and if its not OK then its not the end
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

I have the same questions as the original post to be honest.

The trouble is there are a lot of opinions about them, but very little evidence. A lot of guys say they are rubish, but they haven't used (or know anyone who has) them. iPods are made in China and they work well!

It all depends on the spec and quality control. I've heard good things about the manufacturer Kagizume, but no hard and fast evidence.

hope this helps.
mattster

Post by mattster »

Bearcat wrote: I've heard good things about the manufacturer Kagizume, but no hard and fast evidence.
My bike failed it's mot in January due to fluctuations on the front discs. Bought new discs from Sandy Bike Spares - Kagizume - got them fitted, retested but they were worse than the original ones. SBS replaced 'em straight away - next set were still slightly warped, but much much better than the originals. Can't feel anything through the lever and the braking power is just as good as it ever was, so they passed the mot fine!

Since then, my bike has only done about a thousand miles, and they are already beginning to get a bit rusty round the bobbins. :thumbdown:

I suppose you get what you pay for - just make sure you buy them from a reputable UK seller (such as SBS http://www.sandybikespares.co.uk/ ) as you'll have a much easier time should anything go wrong.

If I manage to get out and use the bike properly before winter, I'll make a concerted effort to see how they are performing and report back! :thumbup:
franz125

Post by franz125 »

I have Kagizume`s on front with GSXR-K3 6-pot calipers and Carbon Lorraine pads about two years.They work just fine,better then OEM brakes.No wears.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

My guess is that this

http://www.usitc.gov/publications/701_731/pub4009.pdf

Is probably all you will ever need to know about chinese brake discs
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

So I read this, and basically it seems to be an old (1991-1995) report based on the threat to American premium-priced products from "cheap" imported replacement rotors.
It also addresses the market moving away from refinishing of rotors towards replacement ones.
Primarily, it deals with car products.

It says, in summary, that "premium" priced US made brake rotors are in danger of being priced out of the market by imported, cheaper but also cheaper quality products.

(But best of all, the map projection logo at the top looks like two fat ladies bending over facing away from you).

All I waned to know was about coefficients of expansion, grip and drag, initial bite and a comparison of stopping distances.
Never mind, perhaps next time.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Miztaziggy

Chinese brake disks

Post by Miztaziggy »

Yeah most of it is useless, but it does say that the Chinese discs are made from sub standard materials.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Possibly, but subs can withstand many atmospheres of pressure before they fail.....

Anyway, it's only brakes, the last resort of those who can't change down quick enough :lol:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Avoid Wong Kei disks....
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

also look out for Wang Kei ones too :?
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good