Why did you choose the storm

General Bike chat
lloydie

Why did you choose the storm

Post by lloydie »

For me I wanted a v twin without fuel injection and a 1000cc and it had to be a Honda pluss the sound
I never rode one before I owned it
So a leap of faith in honda and I love
It
It's a keeper I've never said that about a bike before

So what's your reason for owning one ?

Can't ride but it don't stop me trying
benny hedges

Re: Why did you choose the storm

Post by benny hedges »

wanted a sp1 but got let down on a few & money was burning a hole in my pocket so i just bought a low mileage storm to wreck.
i think ive done a pretty good job of it so far lol :lol:
decided to get one after riding a mate's (yellow) one and thought yeh ok, it'll do.
tbh it has grown on me a lot and i dont think i'll get rid of it... but mainly cos its fkt now & nobody would want it otherwise i'd trade it in for summat a bit quicker / less thirsty / comfier / better handling / shinier / better looking
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I got back into biking after many years off in 1998/99 with a Kawasaki VN800. Realising I would soon kill myself riding it the way I did I decided to try a sports bike. Rode inline 4 demos, apparently the CBR600 was the way to go, but I couldn't get used to nothing happening below 8000 rpm. Tried a s/h FireStorm and was instantly hooked by the power delivery and the sound.

So, here I am still with the same bike.................

Though I have a TDM900 for touring (65mpg is not to be sniffed at) the Storm is still "my" bike. Sometimes feels a bit outclassed by 175bhp rivals, but then again I'm not 21 anymore either :roll:
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i was coming back to bikeing after a ten year gap, i needed a bike that was big because i'm a bit of a lump, fairly sporty because i'm still a kid at heart, and most importantly cheap hahaha, the storm ticked all 3 boxes, i payed £720 for a 33.000 mile r-reg that was a bit tatty and had been a cat c many many years ago, £720 for a honda that in theory can do 150mph and has built proof build qaulity and because all the big bikes i'd owned in the past had been hondas it was a no brainer, the only other bikes i considered were 1200 bandit or 95/96/97 blade but i thought the bandit would fall apart and i would probably kill myself on the blade, as it turned out 3 weeks into ownership white van man did a very good job of trying to kill me on the storm anyway, oh well such is life, 9 months later and i've only managed riding around a trading estate on my mates gsxr600 my bodies still a bit banged up, it hasn't stopped me spending the best part of £2.000 getting so some trick bits together and starting to get the bike rebuilt, i must be ............... :crazy:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

I needed something to replace my cbr600F as my everyday transport. I'm 6ft 7 so I struggle finding a bike which I feel slightly comfortable on. The storm seemed to tick that box so I bought it.

Its low mpg and short range are quite annoying when doing a large amount of motorway riding each week. It is also quite heavy bike to be riding in the ice and snow (dropped it twice this winter :( ). But the main thing is that I still enjoy riding it! so I have no intention of replacing it.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

A long time ago in a city far far away...

I was sitting at my desk one afternoon in halls of residence at uni, on one of those rare occasions where i actually did some work. Some bugger on a bike was pissing me off by repeatedly riding past my open window on a loud bike which was annoying but sounded very cool too. Made a change from the screaming 600's you heard all over the place.

I went out to investigate and it turned out to be the boyfriend of one of the girls in the flat above, who our flat were all friends with. His name escapes me. All was forgiven (any excuse not to be working on coursework). Popped outside for a chat. I had a lowly DT125 at the time. We got talking about bikes and he offered to take me for a spin on the back of what turned out to be a Firestorm with Micron pipes, if I remember right.

Was suitably impressed after a brief tour of the city and I suppose since then, I always kinda liked the idea of having a Storm. He later changed it to a 748 BP (with termi's) which was also nice, but I still preferred the storm for some reason. Some people say Storms look a bit boring, I'm not one of them, I loved the half fairing design at the time, the noise was perfect, power high, but I knew Id never afford it as a student. Anyway, I still love it now and despite the problems I've had so far, I suppose I'm not really put off, just wish i was more competent with spanners.

So fast forward many years and finally after a long biking gap I pass my UK DAS and what else could I consider buying except for the bike which I had admired all that time. I looked at tons of bikes, mostly newish ones but they all look the same, lack personality somehow. The Storm dared to be different at the time, and it still does. It might not be the flashiest bike, or the fastest, or even desirable particularly, but it seems to have soul.

Glad I stumbled across this forum, everyone has been so helpful with fulfilling my dream of having a (working) storm, which is kinda cool :)

PS. Even if some people hate me for asking about Socks.... :P
CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

Similar to you lloydiecbr, always wanted a big Vee. Had a some cruisers, up to a 600 steed, then moved to the 4s. Had to have a Honda, out on a poker run talkin to a lad w/a VTR (hes on here somewhere), & he gave me a shot, only went up the road & back, but that was it. Sold the Cafe Racer & found my Storm :D
Maybe I Don't Like Your Bike Either!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

PS. Even if some people hate me for asking about Socks....
VTRYorks, let it go mate, step away from the socks!!!!

:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Have just got back from 110 miles round the Norfolk an Suffolk B roads, ripping round at daft speeds and loving the soundtrack. That's why I keep the Storm.

Oh, BTW, I was wearing Calvin Klein socks at the time as the add another 2 bhp to the mid range :lol:
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Richy

Post by Richy »

I was a bit bored with my old tdm850, so after searching ebay and local rags for a more interesting bike came across a storm over on the west coast of Scotland, completely standard. A late night bid made me the winner, and I picked it up the next day. 130 miles twisty trip home to the east coast was great.

Now it's got loud pipes, suspension sorted both ends and taken round the Nurburgring. It's great :)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Didn't want another IL4, but needed a bike that would be ok if used during the winter and left outside unwashed.
So a Honda, and apart from a brief couple of weeks looking at Blackbirds, I decided on a Storm.

Didn't ride one, as I knew I'd be doing a fair bit of modding anyway.
Stuck a hopeful punt on one sight unseen in the Midlands, and nobody else bothered bidding.

So I went and picked it up, still got it.

My first ever keeper.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

I had owned a Morini 500 sport, which I loved, but even my rose tinted specs could not hide the fact that quite often it would not bloody start and despite the speedo needle waving like a flag in a breeze it did not often show much (OK ...any) over a ton... So I wanted a faster, more reliable bike, but still a V twin, which would not break the bank... so firestorm it was and have not been disappointed, I wish I could have afforded to keep both... But have another two " projects" neither of which would have made enough cash if I sold them, and apart from a couple of clumsy initial mechanical mishaps, mainly due to trusting the bloody Haynes manual.... (Well that and my own stupidity) its been reliable, fast and different enough to keep me interested....
motostorm

Post by motostorm »

i rode a bros 650 as a dispatch rider , found the storm carby engine a peach to use ,i like the build quality ,i hate the suspension and the looks ,
i know what i want and why i want it , no apoligies , at the end of the day though its a firestorm im on ,
i love the motors :thumbup:
its not the dog in the fight its the fight in the dog
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Not sure I can remember :lol: , was over 10yrs ago, and I think I have dementia now due to onset of old age mixed with mid life crisis.

But after asking my carers, the consensus was that I wanted a big sports bike with proper torque and character, but that wouldn't need too much looking after.

I still look back to my 1st big bike, a Suzuki GS1000S (the ice-cream van) and that was the type of torque I wanted, where even in top gear the throttle and the speedo looked to be linked to each other, want to go faster, just pull the cable and it was instant :D . The big air cooled 4cyl bikes of the 80's with 2valve heads didn't rev wild, but they had real mid range.
When that bike got nicked, I got one of the 1st mono shock GSX750's, the ES that preceded the GSXR. That was a 4valve motor and needed revs, I never bonded with that bike, and was not that sad to sell it when I decided to go racing at the ripe old age of 30.
After racing, I stayed away from road bikes and had enduro / green lane bikes for about 4 yrs, then as I bored of that, I decided to go back to road bikes.

So looking for torque and reliability, I had already decided on the Firestorm before I had even ridden one. A few weeks of looking in the auto trader and one turned up about 5 miles away, it was 2yrs old, saw it, rode it for 3 miles, came back and bought it......and even though there was a period of about 3 yrs in the 10 I have owned it where it got very little use, i always knew I was going to keep it.......it's worth more to me that I can ever expect if I sell it, so looks like it will stay with me for a bit longer
AMcQ
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

another returnee - last had a Ducati when after 15 years needed another bike, love V-twins so went to get an SV650, dealer had sold it so my daughter said "I like this one", dealer started it and the rest is history. I love it and if I had the dosh I'd buy the Hydrex one so I can have two!