bike wont rev out

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
fireman

bike wont rev out

Post by fireman »

Hello,

I am new to this site and was looking for any possible answers as to why my VTR 1000 wont rev pass 6500 rpm. The bike goes super well up to this point and then stops. It feels like it is choking like the jetting is wrong or something. Any ideas as how to get it sorted would be very welcome as I only have the bike two months and am totally loving the experience. However that feeling would only get better if I can sort out this problem.
Miztaziggy

Re: bike wont rev out

Post by Miztaziggy »

Have you done your CCTs or cam chain something recently?

Im no expert, but I think someone here will tell you that the engine has been set up with the cams facing the wrong way or something. There have been a few of these sorts of problems.
fireman

Post by fireman »

Thanks

The CCT's have been changed before I bought and im told by the lad I bought it off that it has a stage two dynojet but I am not up to speed about this I am currently reading up on it to try understand it
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yeh what ziggy says, more than likely the cam timing has been set 180 degrees out.
relatively easy to put right with minimal tools.
follow the guide in the workshop section on fitting cct's.

same procedure applies for manual and auto tensioners.
chances are the person who fitted them followed the haynes manual which is very misleading.
im assuming the bike is a bit lame low down and wont pull beyond 6500 - 7ooo rpm?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
fireman

Post by fireman »

Thanks

I will read up on that now. Your spot on saying that it wont rev past 6500-7000 which is a shame cos Im loving owning this V twin.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I think, from what I have read on here, that when people have standard CCTs and they go and knacker their valves, they take it all to bits following the Haynes which leads you to put it back together with cam lobes facing wrong way.

I have never had to do this myself, but if it is like changing the CCTs, then it isnt that hard, just a case of methodically taking apart the bike from the tank down until you get to the cylinder head then opening it up.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

fireman wrote: is a shame cos Im loving owning this V twin.
omg.... if you love it now wait til you have set it up proper lol!!! :twisted: :Rock1: :Banned:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

the boys are 100% correct on this diagnosis. there are threads where others have done the fix, but you can do it on the rear cyl as it is easy get the cam cover off that head, and do the work there. you need to print out the rules and make sure you only turn engine CCW direction.

costs nothing but your time. but you may need to know whey the last owner changed the Cam Chain Tensioner just before he sold it? might be worth doing a compression test to make sure he fixed the valves if there was a CCT failure.
AMcQ
fireman

Post by fireman »

Thanks

Nice one for the advice, i will look forward to getting this sorted so I can really enjoy the bike
fireman

Post by fireman »

just got a quote for the repair to my cct's of 350-400 euro ouch!! to put the problem right by a mechanic. That seems to be a very expensive fix. They have definitely been changed but it would seem whoever did it the job set them wrong. I think I will have a go myself as I feel that from what you guys have posted that it is something that is not to difficult and Im comfortable with a spanner in my hand. Will let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

WHAT.....that is a rip off, I will fly over and do it for 200! :lol:

you should have no problems doing it once you read through the instructions a couple of times it is ok.
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Take it back to the original mechanic that changed your CCTs and get them to put it right for gratis.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Damn right- name and shame, to protect others from being ripped off as well.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fireman

Post by fireman »

Just got my bike back after getting the CCT's sorted, lads you were spot on the rear one was set 180 degrees out, cost me 200 euro and top marks to the mechanic who sorted it for me, a bang on lad, for anybody in Dublin needing work done go to Dave in Donnybrook his number is 087-6336619. :D :D
Now for the bad news just found out that the bike has been in a smack some time in the past and there is a tiny fracture in the frame. I was sold a bike without been told about any of this BOO!!!! to the b8stard who sold it to me but I suppose thats the peril of a private sale. It is ever so small but a crack is a crack.
Ilson Lad

Post by Ilson Lad »

Sweet & sour news mate :( The seller clearly had no issues with being dishonest :evil: Get it welded up asap & hopefully you will have a great bike :wink:
It'll all be OK in the end and if its not OK then its not the end