Exhaust can repair

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
SILVTR

Exhaust can repair

Post by SILVTR »

I bought my VTR with standard cans fitted, and a pair of seemingly brandless "race" cans (there's a Remus sticker on the bike, but I'm not making any assumptions). The seams between the can caps and the link tubes seem to have failed (both cans) - some sort of bodge has been done (I assume with Gun Gum or similar), which has all but completely crumbled away. The dealer gave me the race cans in the sale, but did say that they were "blowing" at the joints I'm talking about.

The mechanical or structural joining of cans to pipes seems fine, the problem is these seals. They're stainless cans. Anyone know if this type of thing can be welded (I have a welding mate), or something?

Even with standard cans, the V-twin sound is super, but like any high or buzz, after a while, you just want a little more, don't you?
94 Corolla and a big goo for an R1150GS
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

im a bit puzzled by your description?, i have remus cans and the can link pipe only has one split where it fits to the honda pipe,& it is a pretty tight fit,i wonder if the joining pipes you have re-use the old honda gaskets and it is they that may need replacing? its difficult to say more.. some pics might help..if you do decide to weld use only a good quality 316 filler wire & use a welder who knows his stuff as st/stl can corrode....oops sorry i was speaking as a welding inspector there :oops: if its done for free go for it!! :wink: