CCTs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Griff1977

CCTs

Post by Griff1977 »

I know these are an emotive subject (I'm new to this game but still I have picked up the 'tension' (pardon the pun) that these CCTs need consideration).

It's a new bike to me and the last service (4800 miles/2.5 years! ago) shows that the CCTs were changed at 16000- the bike has now obviously done 20800 miles. Advice: when do I need to think about the CCTs again? Sooner/later?

Sorry if there is an answer somewhere else in the forum - I've had a read through and nothing obvious seen.

Ta for now. Griff.
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
Kev L

Re: CCTs

Post by Kev L »

If you want to sleep sweetly at night then yesterday would be the answer!! There are loads of threads featuring failures with various degrees of catastrophe. You may be lucky and get away with it for a while, but, "do you feel lucky, well do ya punk?" Sorry had a brief Dirty Harry moment. Do yourself a favor and either do the stopper mod or fit manuals.
:beer:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Kev. Is there a mileage that they should be changed at? Because they were changed at 16000 does that not keep me safe?

I'm not disagreeing with you (I have no reason or experience to) but don't understand?

Am I being dull? How long will manual ones last if I have them fitted or had them fitted at 16000?

Ta Kev. Griff.
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
darkember

Post by darkember »

In answer to your question, some may last the bikes life others can fail after several 1000 miles. Its basically an unknown. The only way you will be sure is to fit manuals or at least the stopper mod on the self adjusting ones.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Darkember is correct my friend. The problem is that there is insufficient oil feed to the CCT. Condensation in them, due to heating up & cooling down then attacks the unprotected spring, causes it to deteriorate and eventually let go. Some have ridden for miles with no problem but others have ended up with a large repair bill. It really does depend on how much you can afford to spend, £60 for manuals or £500 if the autos pop. Sounds a bit preachy, sorry, but I put manuals in mine the week after I bought it as I am obviously, mechanically, risk averse!!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Kev, I'm slowly getting it!! I now understand why they need replacing with manual ones (this takes away the internal spring supposedly auto adjusting but doesn't when rusty?).

My misunderstanding that remains is: my paperwork (invoice) says it had CCTs replaced 4800 miles ago and as it's a new bike to me, is there a way of checking whether these CCTs fitted 2.5 years ago were manual or auto ones? If auto then I get it that they need to be changed to manual ones (where from best?). If manual (hopefully there is a way of checking they are manual) then I'm safe!?

I'm getting there!? :thumbup: :oops:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Which one does your CCT look like?

Where to order APE CCTs?

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16187
Last edited by Wicky on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Wickey, Why was your news paper open at those classified? :lol:

Do you need some relaxation after a hard day with CCTs?
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Subliminal advertising - I'm on commision ;-)
AMCQ46 wrote:Wickey, Why was your news paper open at those classified? :lol:

Do you need some relaxation after a hard day with CCTs?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Wicky

Ta, getting somewhere now I think!!

Going to sound awful but......... Where should I find these and I guess I'll just see the closest bit as lower bit inside engine?

Ta. :oops:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Brill I'll look tomorrow. Ta. Griff. :thumbup:
darkember

Post by darkember »

griff the picture shows the rear pot CCT. To find the front one go to the other side of the bike & peer just to the left of the choke lever. You will find it hiding behind the large rubber cooling pipe. Sod to get to :plainsmile
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Ta, can't wait to look!

I'm starting to fear the worst so starting to get prices:

Trying to look on overstockpartsgalore.com site over in Florida (everyone seems to rave about thus company)- not much luck with the searching on the site?

Seen else where on the site (UK) recommended above and they list at £45 +vat each. Then I guess fitting? Is it a big job? 2 hrs?! By a mechanic that I'd pay?

Anyway. Let's see tomorrow. Griff. :wave: :roll:
bullie23

Post by bullie23 »

don't want to worry you... i fitted a brand new honda auto cct and it only lasted about 2 weeks before the noise came back......

bullie
RIDE EM, DONT HIDE THEM,