CCT the wrong way to do it

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

CCT the wrong way to do it

Post by Pete.L »

A little while ago Del posted
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:11 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

err yeah good luck.

only joking, if they are going to spent time on the bike then get it checked properly and not just plopping in another cct. Get em to take off the cam cover and check the cam chain isn't stretched by lining up the FT marks on the compression stroke and then check that the F-EX and F-IN marks on the cam wheels line up exactly with the face/level of the cylinder head. If not then you need a new cam chain. have to take off the atlernator cover and then the flywheel off the crank and it's in. Don't let em just do the cct because if it is the cam chain then it will get noisy again really quick and then you risk taking chunks out of the head/block and the piston and valves having a kiss, which would not be nice.

Del.
all the insructions you should ever need for doing the job properly :lol:
Well guess what
I thought good old Del he's looking after us boys but he's fussing like an old mother hen. I've changed loads of tensioners (only one on a Storm)and never had to go to that much trouble.
What a w@nker I was.
Sat morn I lifted the tank, removed the air box and pulled out the cam tensioner. Walked a cross the garage and picked up the new one and gasket. Walked back to the bike thinking oh goody I don't even have to scrape off the old gasket and all of a sudden Clunk......followed by a rapid click click click click.Oh F@ck
Looked down inside the cct hole and the blade is hard up against the casing.F@ck,F@ck F@ck :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Needless to say. What I thought was going to be an hours work and then out to play in the sunshine turned into 4 hours.
The inlet cam had jumped through nearly 90 degrees :oops:
So after putting the cam timing back and checking valve clearances I'm already to play again. Sorry Del

Del, my appologies for thinking you an old mother hen. Next time I'll pay attension and no short cuts :lol:.... well maybe :wink:

Pete.l
t00lkit

Ooops

Post by t00lkit »

Pete

I suppose I'm lucky that I know jack sh1te about engines, so mr honda would have to do that for me.
The good thing is, it means that can I spend all day (like Sunday) riding around the Yorkshire Dales, it was fantastic. Apparently all the roads were featured in this weeks MCN, a few cops but nothing too much, the sun was out, following my mate (trying to) who rides like Billy Whiz (even with pillion), captured a few 'Air Miles' over those undulations, eating a bacon buttie and looking at all the bikes at Devils Bridge, fish and chips at Hawes, ice cream at Leyburn, back home in time for the missus's meat and potato! (Only just getting in my leathers these days).........best fun you can have with your clothes on. :P

Oops, hope you had a good Sunday. :wink:
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Toolkit,
Glad to know your enjoying it....but did you have to tell me what I could of been doing whislt I'm still covered in egg :oops: :oops:
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Pete.L wrote:Toolkit,
Glad to know your enjoying it....but did you have to tell me what I could of been doing whislt I'm still covered in egg :oops: :oops:
Ha ha ha, should'nt laugh... spent the best weekend of the year so far stuck at the girlfriends in London and walking around the Tate modern!!!!
Dull dull dull dull dull, still got rather squiffy in the 100 club on saturday night :lol:
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
t00lkit

Only Kidding

Post by t00lkit »

Pete

You know I'm only kidding mate, sometimes I wish I was a bit more handy with the old talk wrench! but I don't seem to be that way inclined.

Who knows, when my centre lifting stand arrives from Jono, I might start dabbling a bit more, long way for Del to travel though after I've cocked it up!!

All the best,
t00lkit
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Toolkit said
You know I'm only kidding mate,
Of course I do. It wouldn't be much fun If I just signed in and said what a good job I had done. This way admitting my mistakes might help someone else do the job right first time.
Besides, I'd rather have my hands on a nice pair of well shaped cams than be wandering around the Tate modern or going to clubs you've got to be over 100 to get into :wink:
Pete.l
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

:roll: :roll:
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

:oops: oops :oops:
Sorry Iggy must have misread the 100 club bit. well...okay. truth is.
you just didn't give me much material to try and make a funny with.
Does this mean I'm back of the Chocolate Hob Nob list? :cry:
Pete.l
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

No you've been relegated to the "rich tea" list :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

oh ohh!
I'd better start behaving myself. We call em "famine biscuits" down here and they're always the last to leave the tin :biggrin
Pete.l
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Hi guys.

Changed the CCTs today. Not a very difficult job. Only problem is all the nuts, bolts and parts you have to remove.

I also checked the valve clearances while I was at it, and they were spot on.

Just noticed that the coloured dot on the front CCT was lillac (is that the correect English word for that colour?) and that the dot on the rear was white? Any mech wizard who can tell what that means, if it has any meaning at all?
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Petrolhead.
we belive the coloured dot is just a production line mark (i.e a check marker). There was some earlier speculation on here sugesting one colour dot was different from another and was an up grade on the first one but I've seen nothing to prove this. The one I've just fitted was orange.
Pete.l
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Hi, Pete L.

FYI.
The ones I fitted also had an orange dot. Hopefully will they last loooooong.