noise after cct's have been changed

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bullie23

noise after cct's have been changed

Post by bullie23 »

hi there... i'm new to this site... just fitted 2 honda cct's and i've noticed a noise between 3.5 and 4.5 on the rev range... any ideas or could it be a faulty part cause it was nice and quiet till thursday... the cct's were fitted on saturday last week....
could it be the cam chain guides... the noise sounds like the chain slapping.... even tho the lobes faced away from each other and the sprokets lined up perfectly... just want a nice quiet soundeding engine...

PLEASE HELP.....
BULLIE..... :beer:
RIDE EM, DONT HIDE THEM,
benny hedges

Re: noise after cct's have been changed

Post by benny hedges »

did you set it up with both sets of lobes facing outward??? front & back>

if so thats your problem lol.
use the guide in the workshop section here - same instruction applies to manual or auto tensioners.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
bullie23

Post by bullie23 »

hi there.... i followed the guide on here and everything went fine... front lobes facing out and the rears facing in.... so don't understand why i've still got this noise... its just really annoying.... honda have said that it might be the chain thats stretched by surely the sprokets wouldn't line up properly....
RIDE EM, DONT HIDE THEM,
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Chain's ok, they always stretch slightly in the first few hundred miles but then stay the same for evermore.
They are really well lubricated, and will last the life of the engine, and then some.

Suggest you try slackening off the locknut and adjusting the new manuals and listen for the noise going away.
Turn them out until you can just hear a rattle, then back in until it goes away. That's job done.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Looking at the original post it doesn't sound like manuals were fitted. Sounds like they replaced like with like. So, bearing in mind they were quiet for a few days after the work, could it be failure of a part that has been stored prior to fitting?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bullie23

Post by bullie23 »

hi again... i fitted honda orginal parts.. took my bike to honda yesterday and they said they would change the cct and if it cured the noise they wouldn't charge me.... but if the noise is still there, they will charge me for a new cct and an hours labour which works out to a grand total of £113.00 which takes the piss, cause i've already shelled out £106.00 on 2 new cct... might be a case of swapping the cct,s round to see if the noise moves to the back one...
then i know it can go to honda with no cost....
RIDE EM, DONT HIDE THEM,
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

The accepted wisdom on this site is that manual CCT's or adapted Honda CCT's (stopper mod completed. Do a search above right) are the way to go. Even if you get the work done for nothing you will forever be waiting for the bang.
Do a bit of research through the site mate and hopefully save yourself a whole load of grief.
Take care.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bullie23

Post by bullie23 »

i did see some one selling the manuals.... but i've only owned my storm for about 2 months and have only just found this site... so didn't know about the manuals when i bought the standard ones.... but i think i'll be getting a set of manual ones very soon....
might phone honda uk instead of the local honda dealer
RIDE EM, DONT HIDE THEM,
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Honda won't agree with fitting anything but the original items.

Probably because they make no money from someone fitting manuals or doing the stopper mod.......

Did you keep the old standard ones?
If so you could swap one over and listen.
bullie23

Post by bullie23 »

i kept the old ones so i'm gonna fit one of the old ones in the rear and the new one out of the rear in the front... see if i can't get rid of the noise from the front and then if it works i'll get honda to replace the rear one for free.....
RIDE EM, DONT HIDE THEM,
klx678

Post by klx678 »

bullie23 wrote:i did see some one selling the manuals.... but i've only owned my storm for about 2 months and have only just found this site... so didn't know about the manuals when i bought the standard ones.... but i think i'll be getting a set of manual ones very soon....
might phone honda uk instead of the local honda dealer

For what it's worth, I make manual tensioners with an oil seal in them. Shipped to UK is a total of $63.95 usd. If the site permits PM or email, contact me for more information.

For the moderators, excuse me and delete the post if this is not permitted on this site.
bullie23

Post by bullie23 »

after a long afternoon and evening i've managed to swap the front and the rear cct round... the noise as moved to the back one... so i know i have a faulty part which is going back to honda.... but while i was rebuilding i manage to break the rocker cover bolt in the rear head... so after about hour pissing around i manage to get the shearred tread out and rob a bolt off the wifes car as a quick fix.... have to order a new one tomorrow.... but aleast i've found the prob and sorted it out... put one of the old cct's in the rear so the noise is only slight but will be getting a new one...

thanks for all the replys

bullie....
RIDE EM, DONT HIDE THEM,
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

...but will be getting a new one...
Please get manual CCTs not auto imploding Honda OEM ones.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
gordthebiker

Post by gordthebiker »

Get a refund for the work done and get the manuals?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Standard one, eh?
Feeling lucky, then?

It'll be like watching roulette.....sooner or later double zero comes up and everyone loses.

Did I mention that I rebuilt dead engines very reasonably?