starter problems:(

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bobby180682

Post by bobby180682 »

hello i have a serious problem, when i try to turn over my '97'storm it makes a buzzing noise(a bit like a servo) it seems to be coming from the starter motor. i have had the starter motor out and it seems to be spinning. it has had a new battery and reg recently. can anybody help me please.
many thanks:)
Wicky

Re: starter problems:(

Post by Wicky »

Check the condition of the lead and connection that goes in under the rubber hood. Probably if the water has got in then you've got corroded starter internals. Hunt around on ebay for a second-hand one and keep the connection vaselined or greased up as it's in a vulnerable spot.

Also check the starter relay and if you can turn the bike over by shorting it (carefully!)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
bobby180682

Post by bobby180682 »

lead and connection looked fine when i pulled the starter motor out. i will double check them though and get the vaseline out:) i will give the starter relay a go tomorrow (i will be carefull) i did remove a s/plug and the starter motor and bumped it to make sure it hadnt seized, and it fired on 1 cylinder fine. thanks for your help.
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Check the motor internals and in particular the brushes.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Bob, sometimes the heavy duty cable from the starter relay to the starter motor can build up a resistance. If you use a jump lead direct from the starter motor connection to the live (+) terminal on the battery (I suggest connecting it on the starter motor end and just touching the live (+) battery terminal). If it's still the same then it's either the starter motor or the starter sprag clutch, assuming the earth (-) battery cable is good and not loose at either end :?:

If you try this out Bob, make sure the connections of the jump lead are not earthing out anywhere, especially where the connection is made on the starter motor bolt.

If the problem disappears with the jump lead, check all leads from the battery, starter motor and solenoid are tight and not badly corroded.

Chris.
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

If you have to replace the starter then ones from different hondas may fit .I have one from a CBR600F2 that looks
identical.Old Blades etc maybe a source.
bobby180682

Post by bobby180682 »

Thanks guys, I will give that a go chris and if that doesn't help I will have a look at the internals:) it'll be easier to find a new 1 if I can fit a cbr600 ect. Thank you all again for your help:)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

One more possibility- a rare event, but I've seen two now-
Symptoms:
The starter motor turns ok, but the sprag clutch ring doesn't turn.
There's a screechy noise from the LH side of the engine.

There are two two gears on a shaft taht transfer rotary movement form the starter motor to the sprag clutch outer ring; they're pressed onto the shaft and shouldn't move independently, but under the amount of torque form the starter one moves and the other doesn't.

If you pull off the alternator rotor and undo the lower tensioner blade mounting bolt you can just about wiggle the gears in and out.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bobby180682

Post by bobby180682 »

it is the sprag clutch that has gone:( £429 for parts+ labour. not good. thanks for all your help though.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bobby180682 wrote:it is the sprag clutch that has gone:( £429 for parts+ labour. not good. thanks for all your help though.
Bob, Have you tried David Silver for a quote :?:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Or me for a spare sprag clutch in usable condition for £50?
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

tony.mon wrote:Or me for a spare sprag clutch in usable condition for £50?
Lol Tony, what spares DON'T you have in your grotto?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's always worth an ask if you need bits.
I squirrel away useful parts whenever I see them, especially cheap bits on E-Bay; if I don't need them myself they just go in stock.

But sometimes, like at the moment, I collect parts such as a tail plastic complete with all the lugs, a subframe, swing arm etc, and when they're ready to fit I just swap them over.

That means I have the old ones as spares or for sale once I've finished with them.

Occasionally I see items like an old engine wih some damage, it will never sell or be made to run again but there are still some useful spares....such as a sprag clutch!
That one comes from an engine that have been hit by a car from the side, the crankcases were scrap but the internals are fine. For what I paid for it (£75) any part the sells gets me my money back, near enough.

When it was advertised I noticed that the front head bolts had been loosened, and you know what that means.........
So a quick discussion with the seller and he saw sense.

Anyway, back on thread, there's a spare sprag clutch ready to post if you want it. Good, unmarked rollers.
bobby180682

Post by bobby180682 »

thanks tony, is it a fairly simple job or will i need professional help? i will consult my bank and get back to you:)
bobby180682

Post by bobby180682 »

how will you take payment and is £50 including p+p? cheers