Cure for vibration

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Miztaziggy

Cure for vibration

Post by Miztaziggy »

I rode the bike to work this morning for the first time in a week and a half since I had it in bits to clean it.

The vibration through the tank and the bars is now really bad, my hands still tingle a little bit (30 minutes later). The vibration stops when you pull in the clutch so I dont think it is the wheels or anything that I have had off. I didnt touch the engine, other than remove the exhaust.

Anyway I got talking to a guy at work who thinks that maybe the problem is the exhaust. Listening to his argument I think he might be right, but wondering if any of you guys have had anything similar happen?

Basically I put the exhaust back on using the side stand and it was very very difficult to get it all to go back on and fit right. It was all very tight and I had to force the main bit together with the back link pipes and pipe onto back cylinder.

He thinks that doing this puts the exhaust and the engine in tension, and that will cause a vibration. He says that I sould have put it back loosely, then had someone hold it upright on it's wheels and tightened it up so it all fit together better.

What he says does make sense, the exhaust will be acting like a guitar string if it is stretched between the front cylinder and the back end pipes, and at a certain frequency it will resonate through the bike and vibrate....or will it?
alec

Re: Cure for vibration

Post by alec »

his case sounds plausable but phone an exhaust centre to see what they say mate.
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, the standard exhaust causes quite a bit of vibration through the pegs particularly, but also bars.
Make sure you have standard weights on the bars, and consider lighter cans, which make a huge difference.

And don't fit high compression pistons, they make it worse.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I have scorpion end cans on, and standard bars....

I get a lot of vibration through the pegs when I take the baffles out, but that is more of a 'noise' type vibration. This is more like the whole bike vibrating and vibrating badly. 3 hours later and my fingers still feel funny from a 40 minute ride to work this morning...

Should the exhaust be that hard to refit?

Has anyone else found that they struggle to get the exhaust pieces to fit back together properly? Especially the link between the main pipe and the back cylinder downpipe plus the link between the main pipe and the left (chain side) link pipe (for me this last one was a nightmare and just wouldnt fit back together without serious force).
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I have scorpion high level oval carbon cans on mine and standard bars. I fitted the pipes when I bought the bike in February and have removed them for cleaning on a couple of occasions. I haven't had any problems with vibration or discomfort at any point. The first time I fitted them the bike was on the sidestand and each subsequent occasion have been on the Abba Stand. Hope you get it sorted mate.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Thanks Kev,

When you remove and refit the exhaust, do you remove the whole exhaust or just end cans?

I had removed the entire thing to clean the down pipes as they were rusty. I think it will be this bit causing the problem as the end cans went back on quite easily.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Sorry mate misinterperated your message, yes I took the end cans and link pipes off only. Haven't taken the down pipes off yet. I will shut up now and go stand in the corner. :shifty:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

:D

No worries mate, thanks for trying to help, any help is always very much appreciated :)

When I had taken the whole lot off, the tight bit seemed to be getting the main pipe to join into both the link pipe and the little header pipe to back cylinder. If you join them all together then try to get the chain side link pipe onto it's mounting point near the foot rest, it wont go on without some serious bending and stretching.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Just to finalise this, I have now taken the whole exhaust off again and refitted.

Got it on with all bolts and clips loose first, rather than tightening up the downpipes and trying to work backwards to the end cans.

Went together a lot easier this time, and although there is still some vibration, there is nowhere near as much, and I wont be losing the feeling in my fingers anymore.

Strange how the exhaust being tight and stretched can cause a nasty vibration....
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Miztaziggy wrote:
Strange how the exhaust being tight and stretched can cause a nasty vibration....
Think how you'd feel if yours was.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Miztaziggy

Cure for vibration

Post by Miztaziggy »

tony.mon wrote:
Miztaziggy wrote:
Think how you'd feel if yours was.....
Lol true
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

i recently invested the minimum amount i could (24.99 i think) on a rear paddock stand. for me this has been money well spent, it works as well as it possibly could and also gives me confidence when doing basic maintenance/cleaning. im no genius with a spanner but it gives me confidence to have a go.
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Miztaziggy

Cure for vibration

Post by Miztaziggy »

lumpyv wrote:i recently invested the minimum amount i could (24.99 i think) on a rear paddock stand. for me this has been money well spent, it works as well as it possibly could and also gives me confidence when doing basic maintenance/cleaning. im no genius with a spanner but it gives me confidence to have a go.
He he, minimum amount for me was £5 from a car boot for a perfectly adequate universal one :-)
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

t,ouche miztaziggy, you done well there! trouble is you never see what you want when you want it 2nd hand....

i walked past a charity shop the the other day and there was a very nearly new pair of triumph badged official merchandise biker boots. £20 ! however much i tried to convince myself they were about a half a size too small so sadly i had to walk away :( (would have been painfull if i was wearing the boots)
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.