A grown man cries....

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sonofpat1969

A grown man cries....

Post by sonofpat1969 »

Now I probably should have stopped at the first disaster.... but I decided to plough on until I had totally @$%&ed everything up!

Taking it easy after a week in hospital I had yesterday off work, decide to change oil, oil filter, air filter and fit manual cct's. So what could go wrong there I hear you shout?

1. The magnetic drain plug shears off leaving the magnet and half the thread behind ... after 1/2 hour manage to retrieve it.
2. Due to lack of printer I use Hayes manual to take off old cct rather than the sound advice from here.. somewhere along the way cam timing slips... manual ccts fitted spin the motor over.... clank, clank, clunk...s##t !

Put bike away for night
Get bike out for fresh start today

3. Drop bike smashing double bubble screen, and cracking inner and outer failing on rhs.

Take rear cam cover off find cam chain slipping... off with cam holders take off cam holders and cam chain guard (?)

4. Drop bolt into engine...
5.Try to retrieve....drop screwdriver down same hole...
5. Drop bluetack down same hole trying to retrieve screwdriver...

So now feeling like the woman who swallowed the bird to catch the spider, and swallowed the spider to catch the fly.. etc.. to finish the job in my attempt to extract I also ...

6. Dropped the cam chain off the cams and into the bottom of the engine.... you would not have thought there would have been any more room!!!!

Now wondering how much of the engine I will have to stip to get at the cam chain and assorted articles.... (suggestions welcome)? And whether thats beyond me .... Aaaaghh !!!!!!!
And just to add insult to injury...

I have a mystery spare part....

Any suggestions welcome.... I wish I had stayed in bed !
tinysmall

Re: A grown man cries....

Post by tinysmall »

Thats from one of your front tank mounting bolts. It's a spacer that fits through the mount from underneath.

My my my.... that is a seriously unfortunate series of events. The other day I ended up with three screwdrivers down my left hand pipe. I was trying to remove the baffles (I have to put em back in every time Im on day shift as Im up at 4.30 and out of the house by 5. The neighbours got a bit fed up) and due to greasy hands from another job, dropped em all down there. Thank got for magnets on sticks :D
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

Thanks... one problem down.... lots to go ...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Rider on a Storm

Post by Rider on a Storm »

feck m8 someone put a curse on you, dont know exactly whats involved but someone will be along soon with the necessary steps you need to take, only ever set up timing on a old honda 550 f and that had only one cam to deal with, at least you now know what the extra piece is,
Tray
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

Maybe it is curse and someone's got a firestorm shaped voodoo doll...And I can't even have a beer cause of my stupid gall bladder and pancreous..! Thinking it might be an engine out job (eeek!!@)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Bloody hell!

But what you need first is a magnet on a stick, Halfords do a telescopic one which will get out all of the steel parts, screwdriver, cam chain etc.

Funnily enough the biggest problem is the blutack, as by now it's oily and won't stick to anything.
But with a bit of luck you can see it down the camchain tunnel once all the scrap iron is out of the way, if not try removing the sump and see if it's dropped through.
Otherwise, off with the clutch cover and all will be revealed.

And don't come too near my bike....... :lol:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

lol not having much luck are you!

as tony says, telescopic magnet to get the chain & screwy back
the bolt, if you're lucky will come out with the magnet, but drop the sump off anyway, after dropping the oil lol

the blutac..... the oil will disolve it and make it very gluey, so there is a chance it could block an oilway up and destroy the engine, so you have to get it out.

be positive.
this is an opportunity to get to know the engine better!

and correct - that is a tank rubber spacer.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

Thanks.... off to halfords tomorrow then... and fingers crossed for the 'non sticky sticky stuff' ......
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

if the bolt has gone down the rear camchain tunnel and you can't get at it from the top then you would have to remove the clutch to get at it...
with your current run of luck i really dont think you should go that far unless you really have to.

the telescopic magnets.... some you can get with a led light on the end... have a look at the counter of the petrol station first.
i got one the other week and it's really handy, though i havent had to use it in anger yet.

if you can see the blutac down the hole, you could try a hoover nozzle to suck it up.
not saying you are accident prone but please be carefull lol....

Quote:

Several cases of "penile injuries from vacuum cleaners" were reported about ten years ago in the British Medical Journal. The injury reports are classic:

"Case 1--A 60-year-old man said that he was changing the plug of his Hoover Dustette vacuum cleaner in the nude while his wife was out shopping. It 'turned itself on' and caught his chipolata, causing tears around the external meatus.... Multiple lacerations of the glans [were] repaired with catgut.

"Case 2--A 65-year-old railway signalman was in his signal box when he bent down to pick up his tools and 'caught his chipolata in a Hoover Dustette, which happened to be switched on.' He suffered extensive lacerations to the glans.

"Case 3--A 49-year-old man was vacuuming his friend's staircase in a loose-fitting dressing gown, when, intending to switch the machine off, he leaned across to reach the plug; 'at that moment his dressing gown became undone and his chipolata was sucked into the vacuum cleaner.'"

I think it is very unfair of you to suggest that these tragic victims were involved in unnatural acts. Here they were, just trying to keep things tidy, when they were attacked by a treacherous appliance. The real fault lies with the Hoover company for manufacturing such a dangerous product. But even the doctors are snickering, the cads. The report quoted above concludes, "the Hoover Dustette [has] fan blades about 15 cm from the inlet. The present patients may well have thought that the chipolata would be clear of the fan but were driven to new lengths by the novelty of the experience and came to grief." New lengths, indeed. Just wait till it happens to you.

also a woman managed to strangle herself to death while hoovering the stairs... :roll:

*oh, dont forget you need thread locking compound on the cam cover bolts when they go back in.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

"Beats as it sweeps, as it cleans...." now that really would bring tears to my eyes.... although if the misses finds me sticking the vacuum cleaner into the engine of my bike I could find myself in serious pain...
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Mate your description of events had me rolling up, sorry to laugh at your misfortune. I really don't think its wise for you to be let loose with anything sharper than a sponge in future!!
Hope you resolve your, many, problems.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

Knowing my luck if I tried to clean my bike at the moment I would mistake brake fluid for fairy liquid...
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

sonofpat1969 wrote:Knowing my luck if I tried to clean my bike at the moment I would mistake brake fluid for fairy liquid...
i once went to get a swig of gobwash and instead glugged a load of vosene shampoo instead. :sick:

where's that pic of that guy who tried to clean his bike with chain grease lol :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I tried to defrost the wife's car windows with chain grease last winter.

It's nearly all come off now......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
elric

Post by elric »

Got to know when to give up, once you get stressed then stop, walk away and come back another time. I think most of us have been through a course of disasters and by coming back another time you can relax and work without them.

My addition,
I once got a sore eye, probably dirt on my hands rubbbed into it (dunno can't recal) I remeber it stung and therefore had to squint, i knew there was some optrex in the cupboard and so this was an easy solution. I found the optrex and the little eye bath, filled it stuck it over my eye, head back now got to open my eye so it can do it's magic.
-
Instant horrendus pain, turns out i'd picked up witch hazel (what ever the f&ck that is), Don't try this at home!
It's only easy if you know the answer!