Mirrors (yes, again!) and exhaust hole

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
SILVTR

Mirrors (yes, again!) and exhaust hole

Post by SILVTR »

Hi All,

There is a small (3mm?) round hole in the underside of both my (standard) cans. When the bike is running, they blow a little. They look factory, rather than home-botch. What's going on? Drain hole?

I've spotted 2 pics in the "bits and parts" gallery in the main site of mirrors (on a yellow VTR) with extensions between the base and the stem. The mirror units look the same shape as my own (roughly triangular), which I'd like to keep. These extensions look quite neat - if any of you own them or can tell me who does I'd really apreciate it. I WANT SOME!
94 Corolla and a big goo for an R1150GS
RQ

Post by RQ »

Mark,

Saw a similar thread recently about that, and someone suggested (I know this might seem a bit daft) tracing out the shape of the piece of the mirror that attaches to the fairing and cutting the sole of a flip flop to match. All you need to do with it for extra length is pack the bolt distance, there is loads of room !
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

I can just see my ad now: For sale - 98 VTR with genuine flip-flop enhanced mirrors. Also has bath sponge tyres. Comes with tan buttless chaps.

I read that thread too (and it wasn't April Fool's day when I read it), and I understand the principle behind the flip-flop thoery (any material could be used, I guess), but the pics (there's actually three) show an extra metal bracket/extension - female at base end, male at stem end (if you follow my meaning).

It looks like the bolt/rivet that attaches the stem to the base was removed, then the bracket/extension was placed between OE base and OE stem, using two bolts (one on each end). It's a neat, simple idea/piece of work.

I'm sure I could get someone to fabricate something similar, but maybe the ones in the pics are available to buy, or off another bike or something? Obviously, the least troublesome solution would be the favourite.

Come on y'all - don't we all need good rearward observation? Someone must know who posted the pics (do I sound desperate?)

BTW - thanks to the garda on the bike this morning who was directly in front of me on the M50, ushering (bullying!) right hand lane hoggers into the left lane at 70mph! Woohoo! There are some good ones out there!
reposado

Post by reposado »

My VTR has the extensions on the mirrors....i'll have a look through the history as I haven't got a clue where they are from.........

i'll let ye know

John
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I have a set of mirror extensions on mine and they were made by a company called GenMar. You can find out more by doing a Web search. Good luck.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Got to say Mark that's one thing that used drive me spastic on the motorway. I lived in Naas and worked at Newlands Cross, and nobody understood the theory behind the fast lane. Not too bad on the Storm, but in the car it'd start the auld road rage thing.

Oh, and flip flop enhanced mirrors are in this season, and dude, the butless chaps are definately out :wink:
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

Found the GenMar ones online (they're a bit untidy/bulky IMO), but also found this: http://catfish542.home.comcast.net/moto ... r-ext.html, which I showed to a good guy in the engineering dept of my job, who I asked if he could do something for me. Just got back from measuring up my stems with him and he seems confident he can do something! Cool! I'll let ye know - he asked me to give him a week or two.

Thanks for the prompt mik_str.
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

The holes in the exhaust are drain holes for condensation to escape. Yamaha R6 mirrors have the same fitting as the storm and give a better view to the rear. Picked a pair up from a breaker for £20.00 and I still get to wear my flip flops in the summer
Phil
bosh1471

Post by bosh1471 »

I had the same question about the mirrors a few weeks back and looked at two options

first - looked at getting R1 long stem mirrors (from 2000 onward bikes). Found some on eBay for about thirty quid but was not too sure in the end if they would be an easy fit so did not buy them.

second - looked at getting extensions for my mirrors but could not find anywhere to buy the bits for a reasonable price.

Finally got some extensions made at work, using 12mm diameter aluminium round bar cut into four 25mm lengths then drilled out to fit 6mm helicoils in each end. Attatched these to the studs on the mirrors then fastened to the fairing with 6mm allen bolts. Also had to get a bit of foam from a kit car show (not flip flop season yet!!!) and drill and cut it to shape.

the extensions have made a huge difference and dont look too bad either 8)
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

Bosh - got a pic? I'll post a couple of pics when I get mine done.
bosh1471

Post by bosh1471 »

Sorry Mate, unable to take pics this weekend (too busy boozing - bank holiday weekend and all that) but you can get the idea from this link to same type of mod

http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/phpBB2 ... .php?t=680

will post pics this week if I get a chance
radar

Mirror extenders

Post by radar »

I had several sets of these made in the States over the past couple of years. http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/gallery/560.jpg
They are billet Al, anodized black, and include the S/S hardware and instructions, and extend the mirrors out 2 inches. I sold my last pair but I can have additional made in sets of ten pairs if I can get a commitment of seven.
Badger

Post by Badger »

How much are we talking about ?
radar

Post by radar »

I've sold them for $57 plus s/h here in the States. Price depends on the shipping arrangements. I sent a pair to a gent in Congleton, UK for about £45 to his door several weeks ago.
captainkirk11

mirrors

Post by captainkirk11 »

I fitted R1/6 mirrors after one or close encounters with mr. plod
£40 pair new..........excellent rear view now 8)