Rear sprocket

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tinysmall

Rear sprocket

Post by tinysmall »

Done my chain and sprockets the other week but my rear sprocket seems to be wearing oddly. The outer face of the sprocket has a line around it where the chain has worn through the coating but the inner face doesn't. Is this normal or is my wheel not aligned properly? Also seem to be getting a lot more noise from the chain and sprockets now. The photo below shows what I'm on about (if I've done it right. Not sure how to do it on the iPhone).
(edit: didn't work so here's the link)
http://img189.imageshack.us/i/imagevxn.jpg/
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
warby221

Re: Rear sprocket

Post by warby221 »

If you’re using the alignment marks on the swing arm there’s a good chance there out Honda are notorious for being out
A good way for a quick check is to crouch at the back of the bike with your eye level with the top of the chain then sight along the top of it if it looks like its kinked then it’s out.
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
tinysmall

Rear sprocket

Post by tinysmall »

I don't use them, I use two bits of string, a block of wood and a mate to sit on it and keep it upright. The old skool way :) I thought I got it straight but now I'm not so sure. How accurate would it be winding the adjusters all the way back in then an equal number of turns out?
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tbh you can pick up a laser pointer cheap enough at any diy shop... theyre brilliant for aligning the wheels.
better than a plank anyway - thats what i used to use, a piece of skirting board.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

The chain is a 530. I know my chain is a little dry, I noticed yesterday that the feed nozzle from my scottoiler has done a bunk down the road :( Gonna order a new on tomorrow or maybe the double feed kit. Bit of engine oil will do until it arrives :)

The bit about the teeth being wider makes sense but would that only affect one side of the sprocket? And I never thought to buy a lazer pointer from the diy shop. How would you use that? (I know it may sound dumb but Ive never used one for anything and Im a firm believer in 'the only stupid question is a question not asked).
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tinysmall wrote: And I never thought to buy a lazer pointer from the diy shop. How would you use that?
just lay it along the ground at the side of the bike.
it helps if you put some white paper under the wheels so you can see it better.
set it so it hits the front & back edges of the rear tyre and check its parallel with the front tyre.
you cant line it up so all the edges touch as the rear is wider than the front.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Sorry, but I have always used the alignment marks on the swingarm and have never had an issue. First set of chain and sprckets lasted 35000 miles (with a Scottoiler) and I only changed then because I wanted to lower the gearing with a bigger rear sprocket.

I don't see how Honda or anyone else make would engines to microscopic tolerances then put random marks on the swingarm :crazy:
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

They're not marks, they're just dents from the microscope.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Ok, so I cleaned the bike today, done the chain, sprockets and wheel etc with some paraffin and got it all cleaned up. Turns out the sprocket coating has worn on both sides but the inside was being hidden by muck. The wheel was slightly out but by next to nothing but I still sorted it out so all should be good now. In other good news, I also found the scottoiler feed nozzle just outside my garage door :thumbup: