what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:41 pm
sirch345 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:25 pm

I think you'll find most of us who have done the flat bar conversion (me included) have the throttle cable(s) running outside of the forkleg, however what you are intending to do by purchasing a Fireblade cable is in my opinion a better option. Which model and year Fireblade throttle cable have you ordered :?:

Chris.
'92-'95 Bit of a punt TBH see if it's any good when it turns up... Will mesure up before even picking up any spanners...Got the one that came off & an old Storm one to compare against...
I bought a Blade cable a while back, but it was far too long. I'll try to get back later with the year of bike it was for,

Chris.

PS. Back again. The one I bought is for a 95 Blade (2nd Gen) from Wemoto. May be I needed the (1st Gen) which is what yours probably is, with a bit of luck yours will do the job. Iirc Lloydie said you will need to reduce the outer cable for it to fit. I'll be watching this space :wink:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Doing a few bits on Big Bird...Dropped the oil, new filter & fresh oil...

Put a battery on it, ing on, lights on dash, hit starter...POP main fuse...Check the batt conections & the starter relay...New fuse... Same again hit strater & pops the main fuse... Got another starter switch from stock, plugged it in, new fuse...Ing on, hit starter...nothing...er ? Hit starter again & it turned the motor over...Hooray...Not ! Hit starter again & it blew another main fuse... Baldroks !

Plugged the orgional starter back in, changed the starter relay, try again blows main fuse...

Hmmm the only electrical work I've done on this is to fit a replacement R/R ...Thinks maybe I've wired that in wrong so checked against another bike to make sure I've not put the red & green wires on the wrong way round & it matches OK...

Must have a short somewhere so next step ? fek knows... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Did my 500mi oil change. Everything good so far. Next dyno run should be in the next few weeks.
Also installed a new set of iridium plug as I had a brain fade while ordering engine bits for the rebuild and ordered a old set :Ball Kick:
The were good for checking the jetting :lol:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

MacV2 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:16 pm Doing a few bits on Big Bird...Dropped the oil, new filter & fresh oil...

Put a battery on it, ing on, lights on dash, hit starter...POP main fuse...Check the batt conections & the starter relay...New fuse... Same again hit strater & pops the main fuse... Got another starter switch from stock, plugged it in, new fuse...Ing on, hit starter...nothing...er ? Hit starter again & it turned the motor over...Hooray...Not ! Hit starter again & it blew another main fuse... Baldroks !

Plugged the orgional starter back in, changed the starter relay, try again blows main fuse...

Hmmm the only electrical work I've done on this is to fit a replacement R/R ...Thinks maybe I've wired that in wrong so checked against another bike to make sure I've not put the red & green wires on the wrong way round & it matches OK...

Short on the starter motor cable, earthing to body of the starter?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:23 pm
MacV2 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:16 pm Doing a few bits on Big Bird...Dropped the oil, new filter & fresh oil...

Short on the starter motor cable, earthing to body of the starter?
Another Item to check then... Gonna try a diffrent ignition barrell as there is a nip on the cable on the one on it...

I'm fast running out of fuses so hope it's sorted quickly... :lol: :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

fitted new coolant pipes. inlet rubbers. bar gripes . brake line p clips , and fitted vac take offs to make balancing the carbs easier .
broke the wire that fits onto the neutral switch :eek2 .
and broken the front coolant union :thumbdown:
wemt to fit the carbs amd noticed the o rings in the unions aint tight .
got part orders to do now
Attachments
8CC4F81C-D48B-4B2D-8890-AC96EF5B5852.jpeg
4A9FD2FD-9C52-4647-A51B-6195AC26BBD7.jpeg
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

nice work Lloydie

you should get some stick coils fitted :thumbup:
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:41 pm nice work Lloydie

you should get some stick coils fitted :thumbup:
Thanks al :beer:
There on the list of mods to do ,
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Started project "sexybotty" today Image

ImageImageImage
Jamie :wave:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Sirch... this is the cable I bought... For The Murvinator.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313584573453

Fitted it today...Only issue is the nobbly bit (techincal term...Nipple) that fits in the carb end is too big...

Too long & too fat... So it just needed a bit filed off too allow it to fit in the hole but then it's too long to allow the cable inner to fit in corectly. So file down a good mm of the end & it fits nicely now...

The amount off free cable inner when pulled fully through is a couple of mm longer easy to adjust out...

So boxed it back up...bloody thing wouldn't start so drained the batt...Damm

Meanwhile in Big Bird world... Dug out a spare ingnition barrel, pluged it in...Nish not even idiot lights...Hmmm, pluged the old one back in still nothing...Checked main fuse again, thats ok...quick meter across the batt...proper flat...

Just sitting in the bike it's died in less than a week...New Batery time me thinks...

Took the battery off stuck that on the charger shows 1.6 volts ! & wouldn't take a charge...

Gave up as proper cold, tools away, The Mervinator on charge...In out of the wind coffee on...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Didn’t break anything today sit that’s a better day lol .
Cleaned up the mounting face for the now water union for when it gets here .
Started to remove a few scratches/rub marks from the swing arm .
I’m thinking next winter I’m going to polish the frame and swing arm .
Did a few more little jobs on the bike and tidied the garage up .
lloydie

Re: what have you done to your

Post by lloydie »

Jamoi wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:17 pm Started project "sexybotty" today Image

ImageImageImage
That seat looks very high !are you sure you’ll get ya leg over 🤣
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Too high Jamie. Image

On mine, whic has been on the bench for over a month !!!

I fitted the flow commander

And cleaned and re oiled the BMC filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMcQ
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Removed swing arm bearings from secondhand swing arm ready for powder coating, test fitted new fork brace, dust seals and oil seals replaced fork stanchions to be painted on a warmer day.
Followed AMCQ46 advice on setting abba stand on engine mounts so swing arm can be removed and yes very stable :thumbup: used a little foam stuffing to stop accidental scuffing of casings.
Fork Brace my need to be powder coated satin black just a bit to shiny.
ImageImage Image
Storming About :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

8541Hawk wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:36 pm Did my 500mi oil change. Everything good so far. Next dyno run should be in the next few weeks.
Also installed a new set of iridium plug as I had a brain fade while ordering engine bits for the rebuild and ordered a old set :Ball Kick:
The were good for checking the jetting :lol:
Yes, something you can't do with the iridium plugs you're right :thumbup:
lloydie wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:22 pm fitted new coolant pipes. inlet rubbers. bar gripes . brake line p clips , and fitted vac take offs to make balancing the carbs easier .
broke the wire that fits onto the neutral switch :eek2 .
and broken the front coolant union :thumbdown:
wemt to fit the carbs amd noticed the o rings in the unions aint tight .
got part orders to do now
You're getting there Lloydie :thumbup:
Just unlucky with the corroded alloy part, although better to find out now :)

Chris.