what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
Duffy1964

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Duffy1964 »

MacV2 wrote:
Duffy1964 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:34 pm Been fettling with another addition to the Duffcave ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice Duffers.

The origional one & only supermoto. Well ahead of it's time.

Proper hoon to ride. Never owned one but rode a few back in the day when the frst came out. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Yes I missed the boat on these back in the day as I had a 250 X7 in 1981 and moved to bigger bikes.
I liked the look of them but have never ridden one, but I’m certainly looking forward to it. Image

Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your

Post by sirch345 »

Duffy1964 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:01 pm
sirch345 wrote:
Duffy1964 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:34 pm Been fettling with another addition to the Duffcave ImageImage

That looks good Duffy 8)

I'm not really familiar with this beauty. Do tell us more :)
Have you had to do a lot with this bike :?:

Chris.
Hi Chris, it’s a Yamaha TDR250 2 stroke twin with a YPVS power valve like the RD350Lc’s have
1990 in original condition with matching numbers. They are getting pretty rare and expensive now.

It’s been standing 7 years so I need to strip cabs down and ultrasonic clean them, new plugs oil and a general check over.

I’m trying to keep it as original as possible, but also need to touch it stone chips on the frame and the tank has a bit of rust on the paint where the tachometer sits, may need to powder coat the swinging arm too.

But I don’t really want to do a full resto as they are only original once.

Thanks Duffy for the information :thumbup:
It sounds like it could be quite a beast for a 250 8)

Difficult to know where to draw the line regarding titivating when bikes like this one are getting pretty rare, I agree.
In the photo's it looks very good as it is,

Chris.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

sirch345 wrote:
sirch345 wrote: That looks good Duffy 8)

I'm not really familiar with this beauty. Do tell us more :)
Have you had to do a lot with this bike :?:

Chris.
Hi Chris, it’s a Yamaha TDR250 2 stroke twin with a YPVS power valve like the RD350Lc’s have
1990 in original condition with matching numbers. They are getting pretty rare and expensive now.

It’s been standing 7 years so I need to strip cabs down and ultrasonic clean them, new plugs oil and a general check over.

I’m trying to keep it as original as possible, but also need to touch it stone chips on the frame and the tank has a bit of rust on the paint where the tachometer sits, may need to powder coat the swinging arm too.

Difficult to know where to draw the line regarding titivating when bikes like this one are getting pretty rare, I agree.

Chris.
Pulled the bodywork off today and it’s not as pretty unfortunately ImageImage

Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Full strip down and blast it to see how bad that frame is !
Looks like that one will keep you busy for a while Duffy 😂
neil

Post by neil »

Today fitted the WP rear shock I got off BozBoz, old original shock had done 46,000 miles so hoping for some improvement . Stripped down suspension linkage to check and regrease it was all still in good condition. While spannering thought the gear change had quite a bit of movement which could be reduced so skimmed .5mm off the shouldered bolt which goes through gear change. That's given big improvement. Looking forward to trying it out if weather stays good.
redvtr
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Duffy1964 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:24 pm
sirch345 wrote:

Chris.

I see what you mean Duffy, I had forgotten how the paint used to be applied on Japanese bikes back then, or may be I should say lack of it. But then it could be a lot worse considering the age of the bike. I'm sure you'll sort it out :)

Fingers crossed the expansion chambers look worse than they are :eh:

Chris.

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

sweet baby jesus :erection: :erection: :erection: :erection:

sorry i mean what a munter but lucky for you il take it as it sits :lol: :lol: .

brilliant find, same motor as the TZR 250 so pretty bombproof.. not that i want to encourage you but TZR wheels go into them so you can fit stickier tyres :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

lloydie wrote:Full strip down and blast it to see how bad that frame is !
Looks like that one will keep you busy for a while Duffy Image
Just gonna clean and curerust for the time being, get her running and join about on it for a while. Will probably get done after my RD125LC & DT125LC projects ImageImageImage

Duffy1964
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

sirch345 wrote:
sirch345 wrote: Thanks Duffy for the information :thumbup:

Chris.

I see what you mean Duffy, I had forgotten how the paint used to be applied on Japanese bikes back then, or may be I should say lack of it. But then it could be a lot worse considering the age of the bike. I'm sure you'll sort it out :)

Chris.

Chris.
It’s had a treatment of curerust and it’s looking much better Chris. Image

Duffy1964
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

fabiostar wrote:

sweet baby jesus :erection: :erection: :erection: :erection:

sorry i mean what a munter but lucky for you il take it as it sits :lol: :lol: .

brilliant find, same motor as the TZR 250 so pretty bombproof.. not that i want to encourage you but TZR wheels go into them so you can fit stickier tyres :clap: :clap:
Cheers it gonna be fun to join around on, don’t tempt me with the wheels ImageImageImage

Duffy1964
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

ohhh, I love the TDR, they can be a blast to ride :D
AMcQ
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

AMCQ46 wrote:ohhh, I love the TDR, they can be a blast to ride :D
That’s what I’m hearing Al, I need to strip the carbs and then find out how much fun they are. ImageImage

Duffy1964
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Duffy1964 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:55 am
sirch345 wrote:

Chris.

Chris.
It’s had a treatment of curerust and it’s looking much better Chris. Image

That's good news Duffy :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I pulled my Storm out of hibernation to fire her up and run up to normal working temperature on Tuesday 8th FEB '22.

That went fairly well, but I noticed a small amount of clutch fluid had been seeping out of the slave cylinder, a tell-tale drip on the garage floor by the side stand foot gave the game away. So a new slave cylinder repair kit is on it's way, and gasket. Like Mac I normally would have cut my own gasket, but for just under a fiver I didn't want the hassle this time. The gasket has arrived already (both ordered on 8th FEB '22) great service :)

Fingers crossed the piston and bore are still serviceable :eh:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Fingers crossed Chris :thumbup:
AMcQ