what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
AMCQ46

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by AMCQ46 »

MacV2 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:59 pm
Think again cant get me fat fingers in, cant get long nose pliers in !
Should have roped in one of the young scallies that wheelie their push bike up and down your road. I am sure their pick pocketing skills will mean they have the dexterity that you are missing
AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Took the Transalp for a ride around South Devon this afternoon. Really lovely weather and clear(ish) roads, beautiful 👍
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Spent ten minutes yesterday in the cold garage trying to figure out a way to mount the phone I use as a satnav to the Tuono clipons.
I had a nice quadlock set up on the straight bars, but it won't fit the clipons. I bought a stem mount, but it's not secure - the stem nut is quite short and the expanding bit sits below the nut.
So I have up and ebayed some spacers and some carbon fibre flat bar to make a bracket which will mount on the yoke using the original bar mounting points.

Anyone need a quadlock stem mount?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:37 am Spent ten minutes yesterday in the cold garage trying to figure out a way to mount the phone I use as a satnav to the Tuono clipons.
I had a nice quadlock set up on the straight bars, but it won't fit the clipons. I bought a stem mount, but it's not secure - the stem nut is quite short and the expanding bit sits below the nut.
So I have up and ebayed some spacers and some carbon fibre flat bar to make a bracket which will mount on the yoke using the original bar mounting points.

Anyone need a quadlock stem mount?
Probably a silly question, but clip-ons on a Tuono :eh:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes....
I went from the SP2 lower position to a more upright straight bar option but at speed the front end goes light, and I don't want to add wings.
So getting the riding position a bit more forward and a couple of inches lower should keep more weight on the front end.

I could have dropped the yokes on the forks a bit more, but don't want to lose the sweet handling I have.

I don't know if I'll like them, if not the originals go back on.

It seems to suit the rsv4 that I should have bought in the first place, but only gained swmbo approval on the basis that an nice staid upright bike with almost no fairing would slow me down.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:59 am Yes....
I went from the SP2 lower position to a more upright straight bar option but at speed the front end goes light, and I don't want to add wings.
So getting the riding position a bit more forward and a couple of inches lower should keep more weight on the front end.

I could have dropped the yokes on the forks a bit more, but don't want to lose the sweet handling I have.

It seems to suit the rsv4 that I should have bought in the first place, but only gained swmbo approval on the basis that an nice staid upright bike with almost no fairing would slow me down.
what clips did you use Tony? now I have the KTM adventure for high milage duties, I am considering putting clips back on the storm for trackdays. will need to be under the yokes as I have an RSV4 Tuono front end (Sachs, not Ohlins like yours) but your experience will help me avoid a few pitfalls
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:59 am Yes....

I'm glad I asked now :lol:
Like you say, you can only try these things out.

I know what you mean when you have the bike set-up to your liking regarding the suspension settings, you're reluctant to change things, that's how it took me so long to go for the Renthal Ultra Low handlebar conversion on my Storm :D

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I fitted the Tuono-specific 3" rise Woodcraft ones that fit my year of bike. Not sure what forks you have fitted, Alastair, mine are 51mm diameter. They are split clamps so you don't have to remove the top yoke or drop the fork legs to get them on, and have up to 7 degrees angle adjustability.
308 USD shipped. But there is duty to pay on top.
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 2015-22 51mm Side Mount 75mm Rise Eccentric Adjustable Clip-on Riser × 1

The Woodcraft site is very easy to navigate, I also put a set on the SP2, so that's an indication of my confidence in them.

Not cheap, and not a blingy name or as well known as Gilles, for example, but a good, well made product.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Made a start on stripping my spare tank and made a start with what wiring bits come for the reg . Oh and took delivery from David silvers (water pump seal ) as the blade started to leak while it’s been sat .
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:53 pm I fitted the Tuono-specific 3" rise Woodcraft ones that fit my year of bike. Not sure what forks you have fitted, Alastair, mine are 51mm diameter. They are split clamps so you don't have to remove the top yoke or drop the fork legs to get them on, and have up to 7 degrees angle adjustability.
308 USD shipped. But there is duty to pay on top.
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 2015-22 51mm Side Mount 75mm Rise Eccentric Adjustable Clip-on Riser × 1

The Woodcraft site is very easy to navigate, I also put a set on the SP2, so that's an indication of my confidence in them.

Not cheap, and not a blingy name or as well known as Gilles, for example, but a good, well made product.
Thanks Tony, what height is the clamp that goes onto the fork leg? My forks tops only have a relatively small parallel section before they start to taper out to the diameter for the lower yoke clamp section. So i need a fairly low profile clamp section.
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

AMCQ46 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:30 pm
Thanks Tony, what height is the clamp that goes onto the fork leg? My forks tops only have a relatively small parallel section before they start to taper out to the diameter for the lower yoke clamp section. So i need a fairly low profile clamp section.
36mm
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:30 am
36mm
bugger, I need less than 30mm on the 51mm dia top of the fork leg
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:13 pm
tony.mon wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:30 am
36mm

bugger, I need less than 30mm on the 51mm dia top of the fork leg
Just lower the leg 6mm through the clamps?
Even if you can't, I'd be ok with the top section clamping firmly for 30 out of 36mm if you have no other options.
Try emailing Woodcraft, maybe they can offer another solution.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

I actually got to ride mine, well the pegaso.
it went like this.... Husky james called, rob do you fancy a we blip :eek2 .

4 hours later we are standing on top of the fecking cooley mountains in southern Ireland and havnt seen tarmac for 3 of the 4 hours :eek2 :clap: :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Finished the sub loom for the mosfet reg . I didn’t use the maxi fuse holder in the end as I don’t trust it .
I ordered 2 one to use and the other to take apart to see how it’s made . After removing the outer splash proof case the wires just fell out , it was only the glue holding them in place on the terminals ! No way was I going to use the other one after that and they wasn’t the cheap ones either .
I also opted to use 12AWG wire instead of 10AWG as it was too large for the terminals in the reg plug and I wouldn’t get a good crimp on them .

I picked up an inline standard fuse holder that’s clear and I can see the terminals and have been crimped well . It’s all wired up now just need to reassemble the water pump tomorrow and I’ll start it up and see how my leckie skills are !!!