what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
Jamoi

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Jamoi »

Kev L wrote:Nice review Image
Hi Kev,

Watty is asking after you on the VTR Facebook page, he has forgotten his forum login details, but he says hi! Image

Jamie :wave:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Thanks very much Jamie. Send him my best wishes please. Is he still riding?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

lloydie wrote:As long as she can still put a smile on your face it’s worth it , bit like an old ex that you wished you never let go .
Definitely! I'd really forgotten just how much of a joy the Storm is.

I just ordered a clutch kit, then I need to get to the bottom of this lack of compression damping on the shock.

Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Kev L wrote:Thanks very much Jamie. Send him my best wishes please. Is he still riding?
I believe he still has a bike or two. I did remind him that there's still plenty of Storms around for pocket money Image

I can pass on your details if you like?

AMCQ46

Re: what have you done to your

Post by AMCQ46 »

Jamoi wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:59 am
Hi Kev,

Watty is asking after you on the VTR Facebook page, he has forgotten his forum login details, but he says hi! Image
if he asks Sirch nicely he can get his log in restored
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jamoi wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:50 pm The old girl passed her MOT today Image

I haven't ridden the Storm since selling it to Grumpy frog, so that's going back a good few years.

This morning I picked up another DID chain link and replaced the one which cracked when I riveted it yesterday, set the chain tension and aligned the wheel.

I set off for the MOT station via Esso for a drop of premium. My first impressions while riding down the road was: my god the seat feels low! The RC8 is a good 40mm higher. So I'll need to sort that out.

The (SP2) brakes are waaay better than I remember, despite the new pads which haven't had a chance to bed in yet.

The power delivery is so buttery smooth and that sound... oh I've really missed that.

I have the rear shock set to 348mm and the yokes dropped 5mm, but it still feels like a bus compared to the RC8! But unlike the RC8, when you're in the corner it feels ridiculously stable.

My short ride home highlighted a few jobs which will need doing:

The clutch slips at anything over 6k rpm (I drained the oil as soon as I got home, so maybe that'll help - but I suspect a clutch pack is required).

The freshly serviced shock feels like it has little to no compression damping, despite trying all the settings on the remote adjuster - not sure what I can do about that. Rebound damping and sag are pretty close to ideal.

There's a lot of popping when it's idling and decelerating, so perhaps that's a carb sync job. But she doesn't stall and it pulls like a train.

Overall a really good day, it's great to ride it again and I'll be less sad when the RC8 goes to a new home in the Spring. The storm is just as much fun, it just does everything a little slower and with more calm - which is no bad thing on the road.
That was worth reading Jamie :thumbup:

If there were any problems with the compression damping it should have been picked up when they ran the the dyno test.

How many clicks out is the rebound adjuster set at?

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:55 pm
Jamoi wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:59 am
Hi Kev,

if he asks Sirch nicely he can get his log in restored
If Jamie or someone else asks him if he want his account back up and running on here? if he says yes then I will sort it out,

Chris.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Hi Chris,

I have the dyno sheet from Penske, but the graph is such an alien format to me, the figures could mean anything I can post up the sheet if anyone here can make sense of it.

I have the comp setting on 6 (max), but ideally I'd like a bit more damping. Setting 1 doesn't feel much different.

I've got the rebound damping set at 12 clicks out currently, which felt pretty good on my short blast home from the mot. I'll try 10 - 14 when I'm out for a good ride next time.

Rider sag is 35mm

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jamoi wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:56 pm Hi Chris,

I have the dyno sheet from Penske, but the graph is such an alien format to me, the figures could mean anything Image I can post up the sheet if anyone here can make sense of it.

I have the comp setting on 6 (max), but ideally I'd like a bit more damping. Setting 1 doesn't feel much different.

I've got the rebound damping set at 12 clicks out currently, which felt pretty good on my short blast home from the mot. I'll try 10 - 14 when I'm out for a good ride next time.

Rider sag is 35mm
Yes I know what you mean about the graph :wink:

You should notice a difference between No1 and No6 compression damping settings.

Snap on the rebound setting of 12 clicks out, exactly where mine is set, although I have Ultra Low handlebars on mine so my set up will be different than yours. When I was using the clip-on h/bars I found the best was compression adjuster at No5 with rebound adjuster at 11 or 12 clicks out. Static sag set at 8mm,

Chris.
___Norwegian___

Post by ___Norwegian___ »

Installed M-CCT, changed spark plugs and airfilter, checked valves.

Turned out until chain makes noise and then in until they just got quiet :thumbup:
Im on my 25'th motorcycle :)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Today I have mainly been sorting out the Fireblade forks on Big Bird... Strip, clean, seals & fresh oil...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
___Norwegian___

Post by ___Norwegian___ »

Oh...yes, have to drain the fork and change the oil...5W or 10W?
Im on my 25'th motorcycle :)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

___Norwegian___ wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:22 pm Oh...yes, have to drain the fork and change the oil...5W or 10W?
7.5 weight worked best for me, with a 135 air gap.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Yesterday managed to get the sprocket carrier collar out of the bearing, fitted new sprocket carrier bearing and dust seal, so piano black powder coated rear wheel now back in.

Now have decided to have my spare swing arm powder coated in satin black, today old scabby front wheel out, putting new bearings in the newly powder coated front wheel to refit.

But before that fitting new fork brace following the guide onsite, making progress :thumbup:

Last edited by mjvw on Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Storming About :thumbup:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

mjvw wrote:Yesterday managed to get the sprocket carrier collar out of the bearing, fitted new sprocket carrier bearing and dust seal, so piano black powder coated rear wheel now back in.

Now have decided to have my spare swing arm powder coated in satin black, today old scabby front wheel out, putting new bearings in the newly powder coated front wheel to refit.

But before that fitting new fork brace following the guide onsite making progress Image
The fork brace is a worthwhile mod for sure Image