what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
popkat

Re: what have you done to your

Post by popkat »

Jamoi wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:53 pm Thanks for your advice Malcolm, the reason the calipers look mint is because I've already done the toothbrush on the pistons and done the bobbin dance + fluid Image I figured the next step would be the seals as maybe they're a bit old?

I'll recheck the front wheel seating, as I did get a bit wheelie happy on the way back from the mot at the start of the year ImageImage perhaps something has gone crooked.

I fitted CBR600 calipers (same I think) to my race bike with Storm front end, no matter what I did I couldn’t stop them binding, must have stripped and rebuilt half dozen times, 2 sets of seals, even running no dust seals. In the end gave up and went back to stock calipers and SBS RS pads, they only lasted 3 meetings a set but the brakes were very good.

Seals rarely go, maybe they have swollen slightly over time with use of solvents. I would recommend genuine Honda replacements

Hope you get it sorted.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your

Post by sirch345 »

popkat wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:47 pm
Jamoi wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:53 pm Thanks for your advice Malcolm, the reason the calipers look mint is because I've already done the toothbrush on the pistons and done the bobbin dance + fluid Image I figured the next step would be the seals as maybe they're a bit old?

I'll recheck the front wheel seating, as I did get a bit wheelie happy on the way back from the mot at the start of the year ImageImage perhaps something has gone crooked.

I fitted CBR600 calipers (same I think) to my race bike with Storm front end, no matter what I did I couldn’t stop them binding, must have stripped and rebuilt half dozen times, 2 sets of seals, even running no dust seals. In the end gave up and went back to stock calipers and SBS RS pads, they only lasted 3 meetings a set but the brakes were very good.

Seals rarely go, maybe they have swollen slightly over time with use of solvents. I would recommend genuine Honda replacements

Hope you get it sorted.

Interesting to hear about your issue with the binding brakes Malc.
I used genuine Honda replacement seals when I serviced my Firestorm front calipers and would recommend the same,

Chris.
MacV2

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by MacV2 »

Yesterday...Actually rode one...Took The Murvinator out...Interveiw, the bank & a visit (not in so waste of fule but hay ho got a ride in ) Bit sweaty on the return home...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:16 am Yesterday...Actually rode one...Took The Murvinator out...Interveiw, the bank & a visit (not in so waste of fule but hay ho got a ride in ) Bit sweaty on the return home...
Interview...
Under caution?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:17 am
MacV2 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:16 am Yesterday...Actually rode one...Took The Murvinator out...Interveiw, the bank & a visit (not in so waste of fule but hay ho got a ride in ) Bit sweaty on the return home...
Interview...
Under caution?
Haha not this time...Local Pestie job...Retirment is costing too much...Need funds.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

The benefit and curse of being self employed, I ended up with another bonus day off today. Obviously the Storm received my full attention for the day!

Made some good progress on the custom subframe, my welding skills aren't perfect but I've improved since the start of the project. I made x4 threaded bosses for the exhaust hangers and welded them in position, then smoothed the welds off a bit. I'm really chuffed with how they look!

Also made all the brackets and fixing points for the seat unit, welded them in position and used vibration damping spacers.

Made a bracket for the rear light and numberplate too.

The removable seat pad mounting points and locking mechanism are installed and work really well.

Next weeks job list:

Make some exhaust hangers.
Make the seat.
Figure out the electrics layout.

ImageImageImageImage
Jamie :wave:
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

Love seeing someone making stuff from scratch! 😎👍

Those bosses look great, what sort of welding are you using?
Insufferable halfwit.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Great work Jamie, I wish I could weld, tried it once and it was rubbish .
Taking shape nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pentode wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:23 pm Love seeing someone making stuff from scratch! 😎👍

Those bosses look great, what sort of welding are you using?
I thought those bosses look great too, well done Jamie :clap:

Mig welder I'm guessing :?:

Chris.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Cheers chaps! Yes I borrowed a mig welder from a friend and had a play around with it on some scrap metal before I made the subframe. A few of the welds aren't pretty but they're strong enough and they're out of sight!

I'm enjoying the fabrication stuff, I know it's not to the same level as many of the clever chaps on the forum, but with basic plumbing tools I'm finding ways to be resourceful one day I'd love to get some workshop tools and knowhow to create some fancy bits.

Today feels like progress, finally.

popkat

Post by popkat »

Nice work Jamie 👍

My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
popkat

Post by popkat »

Put my Storm up for sale on here
Sadly It needs to go 🙁 I may have a short ride on it in the next few days but I know I will love riding it.
https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=45457

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Good luck with the sale mate, and life in general 👍
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

popkat wrote:Put my Storm up for sale on here
Sadly It needs to go Image I may have a short ride on it in the next few days but I know I will love riding it.
https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=45457

Shame you have to sell it mate. It's a lovely bike and if I were in the market for one, I'd snap it up.

As Kev says, good luck with everything Image

Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Good luck with the sale Malc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project