what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your

Post by sirch345 »

Duffy1964 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:48 pm Thanks Chris, I’m well pleased with it. Image

Glad you got your tyre sorted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Mate :thumbup:

Chris.
Jamoi

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Jamoi »

Had the day off work today and I'm now determined to crack on with the Firestorm!

Part 1:
Made a start with recovering my seat base. Gave up on that pretty quickly as I can't seem to shape the foam with any of the basic tools I have. A hacksaw blade just tore it up and a new Stanley blade wouldn't cut smoothly. So I might buy an old knife and heat it up with a blowtorch?

Part 2:
I noticed my front calipers were binding a bit last time I rode it, so time for new caliper seals I guess. I couldn't remember if I had put SP1 or SP2 brakes on. So measured the pistons and confirmed they're SP1's.

I haven't replaced caliper seals before. Anyone know if I can just hook them out and pop new ones in without splitting the halves? Also, I guess genuine Honda seals from David silver are the way to go?

Too hot to muck around any further today, time to watch the Tour de France!

ImageImageImage
Jamie :wave:
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

Hi Jamie
cutting seat foam to fit, electric carving knife is your friend :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Jamie, split the callipers, pull the pistons out, pick the old seals out, clean the recesses out, light smear of Red Rubber grease on the new ones & reinstall. Give the pistons a clean up whilst out, Pop them back in use either red rubber grease or a smear of fresh dot 4 to aid them sliding in.

As for the foam...a good pair of sharp scissors should do it.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Steve97 wrote:Hi Jamie
cutting seat foam to fit, electric carving knife is your friend Image
Hey Steve, thanks for that, I'll see if I can borrow one from someone who doesn't mind me carving up a motorbike with it Image

Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

MacV2 wrote:Jamie, split the callipers, pull the pistons out, pick the old seals out, clean the recesses out, light smear of Red Rubber grease on the new ones & reinstall. Give the pistons a clean up whilst out, Pop them back in use either red rubber grease or a smear of fresh dot 4 to aid them sliding in.

Cheers Mac, is it essential to split the halves? Only reason I ask, DSS doesn't appear to list the joining seal.

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Jamoi wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:35 pm
MacV2 wrote:Jamie, split the callipers, pull the pistons out, pick the old seals out, clean the recesses out, light smear of Red Rubber grease on the new ones & reinstall. Give the pistons a clean up whilst out, Pop them back in use either red rubber grease or a smear of fresh dot 4 to aid them sliding in.

Cheers Mac, is it essential to split the halves? Only reason I ask, DSS doesn't appear to list the joining seal.

You will struggle to get the pistons out unless you split them...

Yes they do no. 45103-MR7-006

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/par ... 103MR7006/

https://hondaspareparts.co.uk/pages/par ... _CALIPER/y

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/hl-292010_5

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/45103-MR7-006

Although I would add I normaly just re use them...
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Thanks Mac, I was looking for a caliper shaped O-ring!

I'll get those bits ordered on Fri, then add it to the to do list

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Jamoi wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:06 pm Thanks Mac, I was looking for a caliper shaped O-ring!

I'll get those bits ordered on Fri, then add it to the to do list Image
Hahaha no its just a little donut of rubber, sit's in a recees in one half of the calliper.

If you leave it out the calliper will leak...dont ask I dont like to talk about it... :roll:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Haha, nothing better than learning from experience Image

I can see the little connecting rubber in the kit now. Image
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Jamoi wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:37 pm Haha, nothing better than learning from experience Image

I can see the little connecting rubber in the kit now. Image
Yeah theres only one per calliper.

Again I fit mine with a smear of Red Rubber grease, just make sure you dont bung the hole up with it.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Picked up an electric carving knife from the range on my way home (thanks for the tip Steve97) and had another crack at the seat foam.

It's much better, but still tricky to get a nice uniform thin slice off the top with such a short blade. I'm running out of foam to butcher!

Also, I picked up a nice "hand grater" which is making light work of my calluses and blisters Image

ImageImage
popkat

Post by popkat »

Jamoi wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:36 pm Had the day off work today and I'm now determined to crack on with the Firestorm!

Part 1:
Made a start with recovering my seat base. Gave up on that pretty quickly as I can't seem to shape the foam with any of the basic tools I have. A hacksaw blade just tore it up and a new Stanley blade wouldn't cut smoothly. So I might buy an old knife and heat it up with a blowtorch?

Part 2:
I noticed my front calipers were binding a bit last time I rode it, so time for new caliper seals I guess. I couldn't remember if I had put SP1 or SP2 brakes on. So measured the pistons and confirmed they're SP1's.

I haven't replaced caliper seals before. Anyone know if I can just hook them out and pop new ones in without splitting the halves? Also, I guess genuine Honda seals from David silver are the way to go?

Too hot to muck around any further today, time to watch the Tour de France!

ImageImageImage

If they are only dragging a bit why change the seals? The callipers look mint, they are anodised so corrosion is less likely than you think. I would clean the disc bobbins with brake cleaner, rotate the bobbins while doing it to get all dirt out, then fine emery the disc face. Clean the callipers in soapy water and dry out, clean the pads and and rough them slightly with the emery cloth. Finally loosen the front wheel and reset it all correctly then bleed fresh fluid through the system. You’ll probably find now the wheel spins freely and you haven’t had to buy seals and mess around splitting the calipers..

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Thanks for your advice Malcolm, the reason the calipers look mint is because I've already done the toothbrush on the pistons and done the bobbin dance + fluid I figured the next step would be the seals as maybe they're a bit old?

I'll recheck the front wheel seating, as I did get a bit wheelie happy on the way back from the mot at the start of the year perhaps something has gone crooked.
Last edited by Jamoi on Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MickMick

Post by MickMick »

Mine fell on its side on Sat in the garage. Ffs. Just a small scratch that I can see when it rested on some wooden box. Will do a full assessment later.