what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:18 pm So Hamburg (nee Blonkey) sailed through it's MOT today, needs new tyres soon, front low & rear Squared off, these were on Custurd & were swapped over when it was still being used for commuting to Greenwich so I've had me moneys worth out of them...

Going to wait until Thursday to tax it then it will be the daily commutor for the new job, it's around 10 miles so a 20 mile commute is a bit better than the 70 I was doing previously... Need to refresh the forks & I'll probaly refresh the brakes as well.

Jobs for Monday if I have the fork oil in stock...

Hamburg MOT.jpg
Good to get the mot out of the way for another 12mths :thumbup:

I agree, a 20 mile commute is a lot better than the 70 mile one you did with the old job, especially in winter :thumbup:

Chris.
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

I got some CBR600F4i calipers off our good friend Steve97. Seeing as how I'm in work today with no gaffers around, it'd be rude not to get them on a machine to mill out the clearance for the mounting lugs. I used the pics that Alistair attached to his post from ages back as a visual reference.
Once the calipers are apart for the seals and pistons refurb, I'll be able to check the remaining wall thickness between exterior casting & piston chamber (purely for peace of mind to ensure I didnt take too much material off!) I'll go for a trial fit this afternoon .

yellabell

Post by yellabell »

Well... they fit quite nicely considering it was a guesstimate. New seals and bolts now, then job's a good 'un.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

yellabell wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:12 pm Well... they fit quite nicely considering it was a guesstimate. New seals and bolts now, then job's a good 'un.

Pretty good for a guestimate :thumbup:
It will be interesting to hear how much material is left at that point in comparison to the thickness around the rest of the piston(s) :?:

Chris.
MacV2

Re: what have you done to your "bike" yestreday

Post by MacV2 »

Very busy day in the Mac Cave yesterday.

Up @ Ohhhh5.30 & out for a two mile walk, go that out of the way & after a shower coffee & fag...

Most of the bikes out of the cave, started getting the wheels off RXNine... DJ Walker came round to pick up some bits, a standard rear light & a short stack. Both fitted jobs a goodun...

Back to RXNine...About 12, Joseph Chesshyre arrived all the way from Chester !

So the work began. Basicaly he wanted his wheels & tyres, shock, a Haggon unit, shock lincage & body work & tank.

So as RXNine was at the stage of rear end stripped, we took the body work off inc, the almost full petrol tank off...Grrr... Put his bike in the back of the cave, hung it from the rafters, stripped the rear end off.

His bike is well used & would appear to have taken the Mons no cleaning to a new heights ! I can honestly say I have never seen so much clag on the inside of a swingarm... :lol: So I've christened it Claggy !

I put him cleaning duties on the rear wheel, half a pint of WD-40 & about a yard of rags he did a faily good job, both wheels & the cain gaurd de clagged.

Got the rear end of RXNine sorted, & stuck the rear end back in to Claggy so it was mobile.

Took a lunch break about 13.30.

Back to the Grind stone, quickly took the front wheel out of RXNine, Got the front out of Claggy, swapped over... Home straight, his bodywork back on to RXNine, his exhaust fitted, swapped his leavers over, adjusted the chain, adjusted the gear lever & back brake light switch...

Jobs a good un.

In for a wash up, a final coffee, paper work & cash hand over...

He left for home about 21.30...

About an hour later, me phone rings...''Mac we have a problem'' Oh sh1t whats up ? ''We forgot to change the fule cap !'' At this stage he had come off the the M25 about 67mile away on the trip but that was plus about 20 miles, from when he got to me, remember I was a bit pissed that he had got here with a full tank, turns out it was just as well he did... :lol: :lol:

So I went out the the cave grabbed the tank that was on RXNine, which luckily was at the front of the cave, grabbed some allen keys, a fule can & a syphon tube...

Filled up the fule can, drained from Hamburg which is conveniently parked out side with a fresh tank of fule on board.

About an hour later Joseph rolled up again, with the RLOD having not long come on... Oh how we laughed... :lol: :lol:

Quick twirl of allens, still managed to drop one of the bolts...ting, quick torch light search grrr cant find it, but had the ones off the other tank... Chucked the 5ltrs in closed the cap, gear back on & off he sets, must be near 23.00 now...

Just seen a msg on FB timed @ 04.51...''Made it. Thanks again, bike is great.''

Phew glad that's done...So lost one, gained another...Farewell RXNine... Welcome, sort of, Claggy all 120,000 miles of you...

Walked out side this morning, first thing & found the missing bolt, spotted it even with out me glasses on...Hahahaha

The proud new owner of his replacment Storm, farewell BOA you served me well...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your "bike" yestreday

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:59 am Very busy day in the Mac Cave yesterday.

Up @ Ohhhh5.30 & out for a two mile walk, go that out of the way & after a shower coffee & fag...

Most of the bikes out of the cave, started getting the wheels off RXNine... DJ Walker came round to pick up some bits, a standard rear light & a short stack. Both fitted jobs a goodun...

Back to RXNine...About 12, Joseph Chesshyre arrived all the way from Chester !

So the work began. Basicaly he wanted his wheels & tyres, shock, a Haggon unit, shock lincage & body work & tank.

So as RXNine was at the stage of rear end stripped, we took the body work off inc, the almost full petrol tank off...Grrr... Put his bike in the back of the cave, hung it from the rafters, stripped the rear end off.

His bike is well used & would appear to have taken the Mons no cleaning to a new heights ! I can honestly say I have never seen so much clag on the inside of a swingarm... :lol: So I've christened it Claggy !

I put him cleaning duties on the rear wheel, half a pint of WD-40 & about a yard of rags he did a faily good job, both wheels & the cain gaurd de clagged.

Got the rear end of RXNine sorted, & stuck the rear end back in to Claggy so it was mobile.

Took a lunch break about 13.30.

Back to the Grind stone, quickly took the front wheel out of RXNine, Got the front out of Claggy, swapped over... Home straight, his bodywork back on to RXNine, his exhaust fitted, swapped his leavers over, adjusted the chain, adjusted the gear lever & back brake light switch...

Jobs a good un.

In for a wash up, a final coffee, paper work & cash hand over...

He left for home about 21.30...

About an hour later, me phone rings...''Mac we have a problem'' Oh sh1t whats up ? ''We forgot to change the fule cap !'' At this stage he had come off the the M25 about 67mile away on the trip but that was plus about 20 miles, from when he got to me, remember I was a bit pissed that he had got here with a full tank, turns out it was just as well he did... :lol: :lol:

So I went out the the cave grabbed the tank that was on RXNine, which luckily was at the front of the cave, grabbed some allen keys, a fule can & a syphon tube...

Filled up the fule can, drained from Hamburg which is conveniently parked out side with a fresh tank of fule on board.

About an hour later Joseph rolled up again, with the RLOD having not long come on... Oh how we laughed... :lol: :lol:

Quick twirl of allens, still managed to drop one of the bolts...ting, quick torch light search grrr cant find it, but had the ones off the other tank... Chucked the 5ltrs in closed the cap, gear back on & off he sets, must be near 23.00 now...

Just seen a msg on FB timed @ 04.51...''Made it. Thanks again, bike is great.''

Phew glad that's done...So lost one, gained another...Farewell RXNine... Welcome, sort of, Claggy all 120,000 miles of you...

Walked out side this morning, first thing & found the missing bolt, spotted it even with out me glasses on...Hahahaha

The proud new owner of his replacment Storm, farewell BOA you served me well...
What an an unusual deal, and what a day. Well done to you both in making it work :clap: :clap:
I can't say I have ever come across such a deal like that in all my years :lol:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

''What an an unusual deal, and what a day. Well done to you both in making it work :clap: :clap:

Chris.''

So the story goes, Josephs bike had developed an issue with the bike jumpping out of 3rd, & it had been getting worse. Yes it is fixable but several issues stand in the way... Bike has 120 odd K on it, it would need the bottom end off the motor to get to the gearbox... A/ He doesent have the space or time to do this. B/ At those miles getting the lump out would be a nightmare of seized bolts...( although with the amount of grease all over it maybe, just maybe they will slide out... :lol: ) C/ Repair or just stick a new lump in it ? Expense, replacmet lump £3-400 + the labour cost, would be more than the bikes worth. D/ He would have to pay someone to do this, again the cost of a garage doing this would be huge if he could find someone local.

So we started chating on PM & FB Msnger. I said I had a bike I would sell & that I would take his in PX. RXNine was up for £1800, Joseph asked if I would sell it without all the bling bits ? Carbon m/gaurd, Carbon hugger, rearsets, dodgy undertary with twin lights, polished rims, Art cans. I said yes & a deal was agreed. He would come to me, 4-5hr ride, swap the bits over & he would ride it home.

I did offer a night on the sofa but for various resons he decided to ride it back the same day... 8O

As said he got home around 04.50 so almost 24hrs from leaving...

Apart from the fule cap fubar he seems happy with it, headstock bearings were replaced by me when I serviced it & they need a tweek after settling a bit.

I need to get the spanners out & see what can come off Claggy, prob gonna brake it up, not worth repairing IMO with the mileage on it...
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Great bit of fettling guys, sounds like an busy day/ evening but both happy with the deal. Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:41 am
sirch345 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:23 pm What an an unusual deal, and what a day. Well done to you both in making it work :clap: :clap:

Chris.
So the story goes, Josephs bike had developed an issue with the bike jumpping out of 3rd, & it had been getting worse. Yes it is fixable but several issues stand in the way... Bike has 120 odd K on it, it would need the bottom end off the motor to get to the gearbox... A/ He doesent have the space or time to do this. B/ At those miles getting the lump out would be a nightmare of seized bolts...( although with the amount of grease all over it maybe, just maybe they will slide out... :lol: ) C/ Repair or just stick a new lump in it ? Expense, replacmet lump £3-400 + the labour cost, would be more than the bikes worth. D/ He would have to pay someone to do this, again the cost of a garage doing this would be huge if he could find someone local.

So we started chating on PM & FB Msnger. I said I had a bike I would sell & that I would take his in PX. RXNine was up for £1800, Joseph asked if I would sell it without all the bling bits ? Carbon m/gaurd, Carbon hugger, rearsets, dodgy undertary with twin lights, polished rims, Art cans. I said yes & a deal was agreed. He would come to me, 4-5hr ride, swap the bits over & he would ride it home.

I did offer a night on the sofa but for various resons he decided to ride it back the same day... 8O

As said he got home around 04.50 so almost 24hrs from leaving...

Apart from the fule cap fubar he seems happy with it, headstock bearings were replaced by me when I serviced it & they need a tweek after settling a bit.

I need to get the spanners out & see what can come off Claggy, prob gonna brake it up, not worth repairing IMO with the mileage on it...
I think it's great 8)
As I said before, well done to you both for putting in the effort to make it happen, not an easy thing to accomplish :clap:

As much as the fuel cap incident was annoying, in the grand scale of the operation it was a minor detail IMHO.

An interesting read as well 8)

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

So after having a day off, me back was a bit sore so gave it a rest...

After another 2 mile walk this morn finally got me fat butt into gear, back out into the cave.

Dropped the oil out of Claggy, took some bits off, cleaned the clagg off them :lol: ...ready to post...
Claggy stand.jpg
See what I mean about the clagg 8O :crazy:

Put that to the side.

Drained the remaining fule out of RXNines old tank just so it's fully empty It's a good clean tank in good condition so going in stock.

Set to on sorting the forks on Hamburg. When I took it for MOT last week the forks felt weedy, hit a pot hole on the way back & they just felt like they had no oil in them... Having a think about it, when I sorted it out last May to take over commuting duties from Custurd (RIP) The forks got a full stripdown, new bushes, new seals, fresh oil & lowers painted.

When I then got The Murvinator I swapped the forks over to that, so the forks in Hamburg were the ones off The Murvinator...Still with me ?

Good, so the forks on Hamburg today got fresh oil, seals are good & the lowers are in pretty good nick.

Off back to work tomorrow, will be using The Murvinator for a couple of days until I tax Hamburg on Thursday, no point in doing it now as I'd lose a months tax...

See it plays out in the end having all these Storms
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Good luck with the new job tomorrow Macster

Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
MacV2

Re: what have you done to your

Post by MacV2 »

Duffy1964 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:48 pm Good luck with the new job tomorrow Macster Image

Cheers Duffster, just chilling before gearing up & off out in a bit...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Good luck Mac, hope the job is a good one for you :thumbup:
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Good luck with your new job :thumbup: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin