Clicking Relay.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
doc69j

Clicking Relay.

Post by doc69j »

Trying not to sound too much like a bumb ass, :oops: Any body know what the relay under the seat connected to the battery is for? I think it connects to the starter motor. When i try to start the bike it clicks but the bike will not start. Any idea where i can get another? :confused
Speed kills! Only if you fall off.
bigrich

Re: Clicking Relay.

Post by bigrich »

could it just be your battery is dead?
Honda Britain 50th anniversary storm (26 of 50)
Carbon Hugger
Carbon undertray
Carbon LED indicators
Clear LED rear light
Shark Skinz Bellypan
Harris RearSets
Ohlins Steering Damper
Proflex suspension
Remus high level carbon cans/micron stubbys
pariah

Post by pariah »

That sounds like your starter relay. Mounted in a rubber block and have a 30amp fuse stuck in it. Check your battery is ok. Lights on etc.
:thumbup:
doc69j

Post by doc69j »

Yeah battery OK, tried jump starting from car to prove the battery and still did the same thing.
pariah wrote:That sounds like your starter relay. Mounted in a rubber block and have a 30amp fuse stuck in it. Check your battery is ok. Lights on etc.
:thumbup:
It is the relay in teh rubber block. lights on etc.
pariah

Post by pariah »

Strange. When I had trouble with flat battery i got the same noise. Hooked up the booster pack and all was fine. Make sure you have a good connection with the jump leads as they can be a bit of a ball ache to get on due to the battery position. Put your lights on when you do this and see if there is ay increase in brightness before starting, that will let you know you have a good connection through the jump leads.
doc69j

Post by doc69j »

OK Thanks will check the out put on my charger tonight. :thumbup:
vtwin

Post by vtwin »

If your relay is clicking but the battery is ok it probably means you have a starter motor or wiring / earthing problem. It is possible that there is a problem with the terminals in the relay but if it is clicking it is probably working ok. I can't recall what the relay looks like on the storm but you should be able to short across the terminals, if it starts its the relay, if it doesnt its the motor or wiring ( or battery )
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

vtwin wrote:If your relay is clicking but the battery is ok it probably means you have a starter motor or wiring / earthing problem. It is possible that there is a problem with the terminals in the relay but if it is clicking it is probably working ok. I can't recall what the relay looks like on the storm but you should be able to short across the terminals, if it starts its the relay, if it doesnt its the motor or wiring ( or battery )
I agree with this view, clicking is good, so suspect it is above or below the relay
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree with that too, but check the connection on the starter motor where the thick cable attaches to it, this is known to be a possible corrosion problem if not looked after.

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

doc69j wrote: but the bike will not start. Any idea where i can get another? :confused
Try:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-VTR1000-FIR ... 500wt_1156
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

doc69j wrote:OK Thanks will check the out put on my charger tonight. :thumbup:
+1 99% it will be a half dead battery.
dont do anything til you have charged it overnight,
battery is an expendable item so might just be time to replace it.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
warby221

Post by warby221 »

I’ll take the 1% that it’s a bad connection on the battery lead, relay, starter lead, starter motor or the main earth lol that should cover it :thumbup: :thumbup:
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC