Speed

General Bike chat
alec

Speed

Post by alec »

Just taken my storm out for a run, can someone tell me why the storm at 90mph feels like its doing 50mph, my old zx9r at 90mph you knew you was doing it :crazy:
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
geodude

Re: Speed

Post by geodude »

alec wrote:Just taken my storm out for a run, can someone tell me why the storm at 90mph feels like its doing 50mph, my old zx9r at 90mph you knew you was doing it :crazy:

v2 vs il4 perhaps?
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
alec

Post by alec »

geodude wrote:
alec wrote:Just taken my storm out for a run, can someone tell me why the storm at 90mph feels like its doing 50mph, my old zx9r at 90mph you knew you was doing it :crazy:

v2 vs il4 perhaps?
dunno i've never had a V2 before, feels so much smoother than the il4's
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

wonder if i could use that as an excuse in court..... sorry your honour, i didnt realise i was doing 95, i am riding a big lazy vee twin and it felt like i was only doing 55 :lol:
got to be worth a try!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Soutie

Post by Soutie »

Your speedo is Kph :lol: 90Kph is about 50Mph, try following a mate on their bike just to make sure your speedo isn't fooked
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The good thing is that due to the slower exhaust pulses it doesn't sound like it's doing 90 either; so the plod tend to leave you alone more than the screaming elbow-in-the-air nose-on-the-speedo il4's.

Even with loud cans!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
alec

Post by alec »

Soutie wrote:Your speedo is Kph :lol: 90Kph is about 50Mph, try following a mate on their bike just to make sure your speedo isn't fooked
speedo's in MPH and definately right, my girlfriend was hanging on for her life, especially with me not quite used to it yet as well :thumbup: lol
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Welcome to FireStorm World, home of the most underated bike in the last 13 years!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

warby221

Post by warby221 »

Stratman wrote:Welcome to FireStorm World, home of the most underated bike in the last 13 years!
gotta agree with that :clap: :clap:
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

warby221 wrote:
Stratman wrote:Welcome to FireStorm World, home of the most underated bike in the last 13 years!
gotta agree with that :clap: :clap:
and me...
tony.mon wrote:...due to the slower exhaust pulses it doesn't sound like it's doing 90...
Tony, can you elaborate any further on this please?
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's a twin, half the cylinders of an il4, so assuming the same revs there are half the bangs from the exhaust over a measured distance.
But il4's rev higher than veetwins, so lets say only about 3/5ths of the number of bangs per distance.

So from a passer's-by's perspective, less bangs sounds slower.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

Yes, of course - that makes a lot of sense.

Something I've never fully understood, is why it's harder to lose grip at the back end of a V-twin than it is on an IL4.
I understand it's something to do with bigger gaps between the power pulses - thus allowing the tyre to regain traction in-between pulses...
Can you shed any light on this?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote:It's a twin, half the cylinders of an il4, so assuming the same revs there are half the bangs from the exhaust over a measured distance.
But il4's rev higher than veetwins, so lets say only about 3/5ths of the number of bangs per distance.

So from a passer's-by's perspective, less bangs sounds slower.
mmmmh. where does a new(ish) r1 fit into this... :think:

if you havent heard one... they sound bloody wierd lol. 8O
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

Exactly! I read something about the new cross-plane crank that Yamaha use, and that's what it's all about - gaps in the pulses of power to improve traction.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

it fires in pairs like a twin... sounds like a vee tho.
wierd sound but they fkin shift lol