spitting back........

General Bike chat
vtrjock

spitting back........

Post by vtrjock »

At stationary or slowing down in traffic (low speed) , I'm occasionally getting a misfire/spitback through the carbs. This only happens now and again on very light blipping of the throttle. Is this a VTR thing or is my setup slightly adrift.
It's running open carbons with std airfilter(which I haven't checked yet).
Don't kow when the plugs were last checked. :?:

Thanks to the dudes who recommened 207RRs....most excellent tyre !

cheers
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I've had that when blipping the throttle when stationary. Can only assume that it's due to the flat side carbs letting in a bit too much fuel when you're 'blipping' so you get a slight missfire when the fuel gets burnt. Just stop doing it!

Al.
Loopy

Popping

Post by Loopy »

The popping and spitting is just a symptom of having straight through cans. Mine does it with Scorpions and my KTM does it with a straight through can as well. I enjoy it and try and make it happen deliberately. It doesn't make me popular with the neighbours but such is life. :twisted:
LOOPY
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Loopy

The kind of popping/spitting you're describing is not the one that VTRJOCK is experiencing. He's getting carb spitback which happens on standard cans as well as race cans.

There are a few things which cause it, although it seems to be a combination rather than due to any single cause

- carbs out of balance
- incorrect mixture (lean/rich)
- incorrect idle setting (usually too low, should be 1100-1200rpm)
- carb breather hose routed incorrectly (not usually a problem tho)

It's also been noticed that newer bikes spit back a lot more than those with a few thousand miles on em. Even with balanced carbs, careful jetting setup and perfect idle/pilot adjustment it will still happen on the odd occasion! Basically it's not worth worrying about unless it gets to the point where it actually stalls the bike and could result in a low-speed drop. Increasing the tickover normally cures that though.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch