Clutch gone

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Wicky

Re: Clutch gone

Post by Wicky »

All the clutch cover bolts have been removed - Water pump cover is orft

The clutch cover hasn't been removed AFAIK since new, so after 14 years it seems pretty well stuck on. The tip about potential prising points could prove useful as well as the kettle trick for thermal expansion. I've got a new gasket on the way so the old one if necessary can be sacrificed but will try and avoid damaging it unnecessarily.

Roll on sunrise...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

if you have a new gasket you could try a stanley blade between the casings but obviously be carefull - a new cover will cost you a small fortune as you know.
you'll only have to break the seal and it will come off easy.

unlike some other bikes the clutch pushrod doesnt push against the casing - if it was cable operated just squeezing the lever would pop it off!
have you took the water pump off?
you might be able to pry behind the water pump as well, without damaging anything

dont forget to unplug the ignition sensor wires - they are very flimsy and again, expensive to replace.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I find a tap with a rubber mallet is enough to beak the seal.
It's held on with two hollow dowels, so even removing all the bolts will still mean that it's not able to "slide" laterally.

I have a feeling that there are casting pry points at the rear, small "lands" that you can get a screwdriver between to lever the rear of the clutch cover off.
Feel around once the footpeg assy is off, and you should be able to find them.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Thanks guys

After I find & fix the pesky problem and bung it all back together what silicone gasket do you recommend - I've seen loctite 5699 grey - oil & glycol resistant

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165691
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Anything will do.
Just be careful that you don't block the little gallery at the top of the water pump/clutch cover joint, as that's where any slight weep past the impeller seal drips out.
If you block it it might force past the gasket into the clutch cover, and get into the oil.
I use silicon on one side of the gasket, and HMP (non graphite) grease on the other- that way the gasket sticks to the siliconed side but separates cleanly from the greased side, and you can usually re-use it next time.

But if it tears in only a couple of places you can just silicone it and re-use it anyway if you don't have a spare one at hand, as long as you have all of the parts and there's no missing bits..
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote:
I have a feeling that there are casting pry points at the rear, small "lands" that you can get a screwdriver between to lever the rear of the clutch cover off.
Feel around once the footpeg assy is off, and you should be able to find them.
there are. one at the front as well,
you can get at them with the pegs still on. :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Yeah! It's off - Thankfully on the clutch cover there is a a place towards the front where it's possible to lever the cover against the crankcase using the handle of wooden mallet. Plop and it was free with a wiggle.

Basket is very scored is that normal? Bearing seems okay

Almost bricked myself when I saw the 3/4 on the timing rotor/primary gear thingy - even poked around in the sump for the other 1/4

http://homepage.mac.com/spaderunner/fil ... m-ouch.jpg

:eek2 :? :idea: :D

Apart from that can't see anything obvious that could account for the clutch failure - Feeling nauseous from a splitting toothache :sick: so putting tools away to ponder and wait for more tools to arrive - bigger hammers and jumbo pliers :silent:

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

looks like it's been off before and the marks are where it's been gripped with sumat.
any scoring is usually inside the basket, burring on the slotted cut-outs.
it there are any, carefully remove them with a file

when you pop the top off, try to remove the plates all in one lump... they should go back in the same order.. also the metal plates... look for blueing and warping (against a plate of glass or a mirror)
note that the last metal plate is different, and has a ring scored in the middle... also note the position or the 'anti-judder spring' and which way it goes.
it sits on the ring on the different metal plate.
be sure it goes back exactly how it came apart otherwise it will start to grab 8O not nice!
TAKE PICS - the manual is crap!!! best guide you have is the parts list and exploded drawing at cmsnl

once it's all off, see how much up & down play you have in the basket.... (it does float a bit)
you may have to pull off the clutch nut to have a look behind it, pull the pushrod out etc...
warning - it is a tw@ to get off!!!

i honestly dont know what you will find... unless the pushrod is pushing against nothing, but i cant see why it would just suddenly go like that :think:
let us know what you find...

it looks Very dry though.... should be soaked in oil. (make sure you presoak the plates in clean engine oil at least overnight when it goes back together)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wicky,
before you go stripping it down see how much (if any) lift you're getting when actuating the clutch lever.

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I've seen several baskets with marks like that, so ignore it.
Lemme know if you need parts.
I could bring over that fairing if you can wait until the w/e.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Good point there Sirch - will go back a step and look at the hydraulics one more time - refurbish the slave cylinder, to see if that will squeeze life back into the clutch. As you suggest it'll be a good time to see what is going on before delving deeper.

Tony - If you happen to be passing this way pop the fairing over. If anything crops up that's needed from your shed of spares I'll let you know before. Sat or Sunday?

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Both days free at the moment, so just let me know.
I could do with getting out and about!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Sunday will be good

I haven't touched anything for a couple of days with the bleedin' rain and toothache. But the jawache is easing off with antibiotics and once a new clutch slave rebuild kit* comes I'll throw myself at the hydraulics again.

* Cheaper to buy the parts individually from David Silvers (£12) than the Kit at WeMoto (£24)!

Also looking to get a 3m x 4.5m gazebo thing to act as bad weather workshop!

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

ok, you're on. around 10.30 ok?
Best pm me your address again, though.
I'll bring tools and some spares.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Cheers Tony - 10.30am *eek* on Sunday will be fine - I'll be up early to watch the continuing humiliation of Aussies from down under - and kettle will be on with an ex-crimbo mince pie. Living room at the mo is a shed so you'll feel right at home :-)
Last edited by Wicky on Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.