1198 and Bonneville discuss......

General Bike chat
Beamish

1198 and Bonneville discuss......

Post by Beamish »

Had a fantastic morning, first off had an hour on this

Then a further two hours on this.

Brilliant time.

What can I say other than when I can afford one I will, it is the only bike I have ever ridden that has upstaged my SP2 to that extent.
+ Noise (even better with Termi's), power, handling, brakes (unbelievable), comfort (lots of room and exquisite suspension)
- Mirrors, dash wearing grooves into the fairing infil panel (rocking with the vibes).

2010 Bonneville

+ laid back ride, very well balanced with great handling, retro look.
- No ground clearance, no noise (needs arrow cans defo), front brake was abismal.

I am looking for a second bike to add to the SP or just a replacement for the SP (hence the 1198). I try to ride as many demo bikes as possible as you never know what is going to suit. The 1198 is stonkingly powerful, imagine the SP's low down grunt starting at 2K then just getting stronger and stronger until you are in a 100 mph wheelie or you just back off cos youve just shat your pants! Its an awesome bike and everything I look for in a bike. If at some point I can afford one I will definately get one. The bonnie was a great ride, I just dont know how the hell Iggy stayed in touch on our ride up to Scotland, I touched the right peg down and wasnt really trying see below (hope the detail comes out)

A great serene ride but I need more oomph and better ground clearance from a bike regardless of the age or style (Norton 961SE?)
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Jbrebel

Re: 1198 and Bonneville discuss......

Post by Jbrebel »

Very nice Jim-was looking at those on Saturday. Look like a lovely bike-just find the whole Ducati thing a bit :biker: at times :eh: Not so much the bike (technology, power, looks etc) but some of the individuals who ride them. Ducati seem to be very much a "brand" type thing-like Ralph Lauren or Jack Daniels. Not disputing they look the biz and must ride well.

On the test ride note I took this out last week...wait a minute...I'll have to paste it from my phone-can't access photobucket at work :x :x :x
SP1's rock!
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

SP1's rock!
SlingVTR

Post by SlingVTR »

wtf has a ktm to do with this thread?? KTM's are wannabees......discuss........saw them in the BSB meets I think they suck. Period.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

while we're on the subject, sister's bf is flogging his 03 tuono 1000r very cheap as he's changing his job blah blah (dont see why that's a reason to sell the bike like but hey)
anyone know any genuine reasons why this should not be added to my stable?
(that's a figure of speech btw, it isn't actually a stable, just an ordinary garage)

and yes the bonny is a old man's bike imo, good in the day but whatever... :roll: i wouldn't personally.
but i like the ktm :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Jbrebel wrote:Very nice Jim-was looking at those on Saturday. Look like a lovely bike-just find the whole Ducati thing a bit :biker: at times :eh: Not so much the bike (technology, power, looks etc) but some of the individuals who ride them. Ducati seem to be very much a "brand" type thing-like Ralph Lauren or Jack Daniels. Not disputing they look the biz and must ride well.

On the test ride note I took this out last week...wait a minute...I'll have to paste it from my phone-can't access photobucket at work :x :x :x
Yep Ducati is definately a big brand (sell more clothing than bikes) just wait till number 47 is on board! If Honda released a 170bhp SP3 I would certainly lust after that as well. I like the KTM SD but prefer the RC8. The ducati rode so well today I fell in love :biggrin
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jim, nice too hear your opinion on the two (very different) bikes.

If money was no object I'd most likely have a 1198 in my garage too, plus an RC8 :thumbup:

Chris.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

The great thing about the SP2 is you never jump on it after the test ride and think ' what a pile of s**t ' it still feels fantastic, sharp, grunty, great brakes and chassis. Its hard to think Ducati want 7K plus mine for a new 1198 :eek2 Best thing is the dealers were falling over themselves to buy the SP, they all admit to it being rare and sought after. they say if they ever get one in, the phone rings off the hook! I think they would have given me 6K after a fight ! Not bad considering it now has 13K on the clock (its an 07 with a 56 plate). No rush to swap thats for sure plus Duke will release a new Superbike soon making the 1198's a lot more accessible to the average Joe.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

SlingVTR wrote:wtf has a ktm to do with this thread?? KTM's are wannabees......discuss........saw them in the BSB meets I think they suck. Period.
I quite like the way they stick 2 fingers up at the rest of the manufacturers and make their own bikes, the RC8 and the Superduke are unmistakable on the road.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

SlingVTR wrote:wtf has a ktm to do with this thread??
:eh: Probably this...
Beamish wrote:I try to ride as many demo bikes as possible as you never know what is going to suit.
Put the teddy down and step away from the cot :D

Anyway, did you consider testing the 848 Jim?
benny hedges wrote:but i like the ktm :thumbup:
I thought it was ace Benny. Very impressive bike-power of the SP (with better throttle response), awesome brakes and handling vey similar to the Buell I had. Sounded ace on the Yoshi's-but at £985 a pair 8O
SP1's rock!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

JB tried the 848 when it came out and very nearly bought one.........bought the 09 Blade instead :thumbdown: it was £1500 cheaper for the same year bike (didn't expect the Blade to be a two stroke and use all that oil). It was a great bike and the new EVO version looks to have made things even better! As much as people (inc me) say " you cant use all that power on the roads" who cares......give me everything you have got........ 1098 minimum :lol:
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

:D :D :D :P

Got to say...I wouldn't mind a go on one-the 1098/1198 and the RC8 are the only new sports bikes that stoke my fire :twisted:

Only thing IL4 wise that interests me is the R1.
SP1's rock!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Yeh I am interested in giving the R1 a blat but I cant get past the looks! those headlights and cans look poo! One was hassling me coming back over the Yorkshire Wolds last Sunday :cool2 ........There is one other possibilty ........the RSV4 prilla!Got to have a go on one of those puppies!
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Jim,

Come and have a go on my Bonneville, you may notice a slight difference between a standard one and mine :D

ad I can point you in the direction of all the shiney part shops as well :twisted:

and yes, the front brake is Shite!!!!!
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

iggy1966 wrote:Jim,

Come and have a go on my Bonneville, you may notice a slight difference between a standard one and mine :D

ad I can point you in the direction of all the shiney part shops as well :twisted:

and yes, the front brake is Shite!!!!!
What have you played with over the std? Rearsets? Obviously your pipes are non std but what else? :D