Bike won't start after CCT job

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
MarkStorm

Bike won't start after CCT job

Post by MarkStorm »

So... my new Storm's a few thousand miles away at the moment, and my Dad's done the CCTs and the Reg/Reg for me, following Haynes (I sent him the guide from here, but he trusts Haynes over the interweb...). Now it won't start. He tells me:

"Sort of starts on the choke and then dies. I've looked for obvious and not so obvious errors, but all looks good. My Honda contact can't think of anything apart from asking if the chain jumped a tooth, but I was exceptionally careful to avoid that. So it's booked for them to have a look on 10th. Very frustrating, as I was very careful not to do anything daft and to get it all back together exactly as I found it. I assume it'll probably be something simple.............."

I've been reading around and suggested the vacuum hose conected wrong as a possible cause, but I also read that Haynes wasn't accurate for changing CCTs. What I couldn't find in searching was what the Haynes error was, and what symptoms it would cause. Can anyone enlighten me? I'd rather DIY it than take it into Honda, tail between legs...

Cheers,
Mark
cupasoop
Site Admin

Re: Bike won't start after CCT job

Post by cupasoop »

Something to do with lining up the timing wrongly in haynes. Tell him to follow the guide on here to the letter and ditch the haynes.
Rich.

nora2004

Post by nora2004 »

I believe from my short time on here, its to do with the way the Haynes manual gets you to do it, from what Ive read, people who use the Haynes way normally end up been 180 degrees out on the timing!

Someone correct me if Im wrong!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

if it was 180 out it would still start without choke, and run, but roughly, and won't rev over 7000rpm (or lower)
chances are he's put the vacuum pipe on the wrong connector on the fuel tap, thus starving it of fuel.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
MarkStorm

Post by MarkStorm »

nora2004 wrote:I believe from my short time on here, its to do with the way the Haynes manual gets you to do it, from what Ive read, people who use the Haynes way normally end up been 180 degrees out on the timing!

Someone correct me if Im wrong!
benny hedges wrote:if it was 180 out it would still start without choke, and run, but roughly, and won't rev over 7000rpm (or lower)
chances are he's put the vacuum pipe on the wrong connector on the fuel tap, thus starving it of fuel.
Thanks, symptoms certainly appear to be vacuum pipe, but once that's reconnected... If he's followed Haynes to the letter, what will be the outcome? Is it 180 deg out?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

if he's just fitted ccts and has placed each cylinder at tdc, chances are he's got it right and you will be ok.
the issue with timing is when folk remove the camshafts (imo)
or just remove them without checking the engine position and wonder what that clunk was :confused when they pull out the old cct, to find much later that the chain has skipped across the top of the cam gears making them a mile out....

check the simple things first - it's very easy to get the pipes wrong as there are 2 similar sized pipes under the tank, and 2 small outlets on the fuel tap.
suggest he just swaps them over.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
MarkStorm

Post by MarkStorm »

Will start with that, then. Thanks!
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

Its the small stub on the back of the tap (nearest the seat)...
It points to the left hand side of the bike...

I hope that helps..