Frame sliders

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ryuujin

Frame sliders

Post by ryuujin »

I have been searching all over for any "reputable" company that sells frame sliders for the vtr1000f. Is there one or do I have to custom make one?
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Frame Sliders? Is that the same as Crash Bungs? If so, check out the RG Ones - Post a little bit earlier on.

Cheers
Wayne
ryuujin

Post by ryuujin »

WayneM wrote:Frame Sliders? Is that the same as Crash Bungs? If so, check out the RG Ones - Post a little bit earlier on.

Cheers
Wayne
I would assume so. I am not too familiar with this UK lingo yet :P
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

"Crash Bungs" are the things that lookg like skateboard wheels that you get to mount on the bike that stick out at either side.

See teh pictures on the following page for more details -

http://www.imajoos.com/gallery/vtrcrash/index.html

The ones there are made by a company called R&G. http://www.rg-racing.com/ In my opinion they are the only ones worth getting for the VTR as they mount directly onto the engine mounting point and do not use any kind of bracket to offset them so that you don't neet to cut the fairing.

Al.
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Eh? How you manage that then?!? I had to drill oles in my fairing to get the R&G ones on - I do hope I havent put them in the wrong place! :oops:
ryuujin

Post by ryuujin »

firestorm_al wrote:"Crash Bungs" are the things that lookg like skateboard wheels that you get to mount on the bike that stick out at either side.

See teh pictures on the following page for more details -

http://www.imajoos.com/gallery/vtrcrash/index.html

The ones there are made by a company called R&G. http://www.rg-racing.com/ In my opinion they are the only ones worth getting for the VTR as they mount directly onto the engine mounting point and do not use any kind of bracket to offset them so that you don't neet to cut the fairing.

Al.
Ah then yes, we call them frame sliders here in the states but it is the same thing. Thanks for the link. I have been pulling my hair out trying to find a manufacturer
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

WayneM wrote:Eh? How you manage that then?!? I had to drill holes in my fairing to get the R&G ones on - I do hope I havent put them in the wrong place! :oops:
I may have not been very clear there. Yes, you do have to cut the fairing to fit the R&G ones so that the crach bung is in line with the engine mounting.

Most, if not all, of the others require you to fit a bracket onto the mounting point. Theis bracket sits in line with one of the frame spars and rests on it in most cases. The slider then fits to the bracket above the fairing to it does not need to be cut.

I am not a metalurgest so I don't know much about the strengths of the materials involved but I would suspect that it wouldn't take much of a fall to bend the bracked and push itself against the frame spar thus bending it. Therefore the only crash bungs worth fitting, IMHO, are the R&G ones.

Al.
Masu

Post by Masu »

I would think that the ones that go on the actual mounting bolts of the engine would have the bad point of being able to bend the frame or the engine bolt. The ones that have a bracket would have the advantage of the bracket bending instead of the frame, if pulled away from the frame or if pushed into the frame they would spread the impact out over a larger area. I don't like cutting the fairing, and on the VTR where the engine mounting bolt is and the hole needs to be cut it looks to me like you would be left with very little fairing at the top edge, is that true Al? Has your fairing cracked at that point?

I'm looking for crash bungs/frame sliders/crash protectors as well. I ordered a set of the Harris ones, and they took two weeks to inform me that they are not making them anymore. The still make the bike, people still crash them (I saw a guy crash into the wall at Sendai Highland at about 200 kph two weeks ago) why would they stop making them?

Well how about some of the other bracket types?

Cheers!
"Not all who wander are lost."
-J. R. R. Tolkien
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I can't afford a set at the moment becuse my engine went pop! :( I'll hopefully be getting a set next year as I'd like to do a few track days.

The R&G sliders actually replace the engine mounting bolt with a longer one for mounting the sliders. At the pint of impact on the bike there is a big lump of engine behind the frame mounting point so the frame sould be ok. Where as there is nothing behind the frame spar on the other types so there is a much greater risk of bending the frame in my opinion.

The other thing about the likes of the harris ones is that you need to remove the castled nuts from either side of the engine. Those nuts are set to quite precise torques using Honda tools so I don't fancy removing them. The R&G sliders are designed to absorb as much of the initial shock of the impact as they can. I still don't like the idea of one of those bracket mounted sliders twatting the frame.

If your worried about the fairing then you could always re-enforce the small area above the slider with some car body work fibreglass?

Al.
Masu

Post by Masu »

Thanks for the info Al, I did not realise that the "castle nuts" had to come off to put the bracket type of bungs on, I would not want to do that, you are correct.

How is your fairing holding up, no cracks?

Cheers!

PS, do you think the Moriwaki bungs would be any good?? :lol:
"Not all who wander are lost."
-J. R. R. Tolkien
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Masu wrote:How is your fairing holding up, no cracks?
As I said, i haven't fitted them yet. The photo's are form another user on the site.

Masu wrote:PS, do you think the Moriwaki bungs would be any good?? :lol:
I haven't seen the Moriwaki ones so can't comment.
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

Looking at the picture, it looks like you have to remove both the castle nut & the actual engine bolt ?
not to mention cutting the faring with the R&G type crash bung.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Stormtrooper wrote:Looking at the picture, it looks like you have to remove both the castle nut & the actual engine bolt ?
not to mention cutting the faring with the R&G type crash bung.
With the R&G ones, the castlesd nuts stay in place. The engine bolt nut is removed from the right hand side and the bolt removed from the left. The castled nuts are there to lock the threaded collars in place that put a specific preload between the frame and the engine. I've got a copy of the workshpo manual so double checked that just to be sure. The installation instructions for the VTR are on the R&G site anyway.

I personally don't have a problem cutting a hole in the fairing as there's going to be a big crash bung covering up the hole anyway!

Al.
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

Hmm its a little bit more clearer now,
i have aquired a set of harris crash sliders,
but i think mcgowans will be putting these on for me.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Example of the type of sliders that use brackets -

Notice the way they sit over the frame spar just ready to bend it should the bike actually go over!

Al.

P.S. If you're in McGowans in the next week then my bike is the VTR in bits in the workshop thanks to a failed cam chain tensioner!! :(