Help..... Setting up the timing.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jazzscot

Help..... Setting up the timing.

Post by Jazzscot »

I have got to the stage of setting up the timing on the old storm after the front cct let go. I have the timing to do on both heads. I have a haynes manual and Im quite comfertable with the whole set up procedure etc.

My only concern is what if I set her up wrong ie spark on the exhaust stroke etc.
Is there a sure fire way of getting it spot on first time.

The haynes manual says that if both cams are out of the bike then its best to set up the front cylinder first.

Any help would be great guys as Im begining to miss my bike and the Mrs is on the recieving end of my techiness.

Help Jazz :thumbup:
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
benny hedges

Re: Help..... Setting up the timing.

Post by benny hedges »

follow the guides in the workshop - and also in tother thread a bit lower down re coils... dont see how you can go wrong tbh.
best setting it up as though both cyls are out, just for peace of mind.
dont hit the start button til you are 100% happy.
both cam covers off, double check. twice lol

i took the timing cover off mine and put some white paint over the marks so i could see them better.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Benny dude, can you please give me the links to the threads just so im on exactly the proper route.
Jazz :beer:
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Jazzscot wrote:Benny dude, can you please give me the links to the threads just so im on exactly the proper route.
Jazz :beer:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 69#p134969

and http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

just the same as if you are fitting new ccts - if you get stuck, post - loads of help available, just dont rush and make a mistake.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

As I said my only real concern is knowing when the front cyl is on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke.
Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

if you want to know for sure if it's on the compression stroke, turn it over by hand and grip hold of the spark plug :lol: it will fire 15 deg btdc.
on the compression stroke the all valves should be closed, exhaust stroke the exhaust valves should open,
if you've got the cam covers off just spend some time turning it over and watching the timing marks on the flywheel and cam gears til it's straight in your head what does what :thumbup:
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

so if I crank it over by hand with the ignition switched on then it will still spark????
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Rider on a Storm

Post by Rider on a Storm »

Jazzscot wrote:so if I crank it over by hand with the ignition switched on then it will still spark????
hi jazz btw u will spark too :lol:
Tray
Rider on a Storm

Rider on a Storm wrote:
Jazzscot wrote:so if I crank it over by hand with the ignition switched on then it will still spark????
hi jazz btw u will spark too :lol:
hows the rebuild goin, just read your thread
Tray
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Yeah put the rubber gloves on mate. Rebuild is coming along nicely. Im hoping the timing works out ok and the job should be a good un. the manual cct's are in place ready to screw up and take up the slack.

I just want her back together as Im missing the rush of power I get when I twist the throttle.

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Rider on a Storm

Jazzscot wrote:Yeah put the rubber gloves on mate. Rebuild is coming along nicely. Im hoping the timing works out ok and the job should be a good un. the manual cct's are in place ready to screw up and take up the slack.

I just want her back together as Im missing the rush of power I get when I twist the throttle.

Jazz
well good luck wih it, measure twice as they say :thumbup:
Tray
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Right, just trying to get this straight in my head before I go to the garage and have a go.
If I have both sets of cams off the head on both cylinders and I crank it by hand till the FT mark appears to line up does this automatically mean that it is on the compression stroke or could it be on the exhaust stroke? how would I know ?? would having the spark plug earth on the engine give me a better indication.

I am happy with the rest of the procedure setting up the FE and FI marks the moving on to the rear RE and RI marks.

Its just this initial set up of the front CYL thats giving me OCD. I cant concentrate fully on my work today because of it.

Cheers Jazz :crazy:
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Jazz,
Not sure I have all the knowledge that you need, but if I am reading this correctly, the main difference between what you need to do, and the instructions on fitting CCT's, is that you have all the cams removed [ie front & rear cyls]. So you dont know where to start the process.

if that is the case then the next important question is does the VTR have a "wasted spark", ie it sparks each cylinder every TDC.
If someone in the know can say if it is wasted spark, then you will be good to go without a test, but if not you will either try and see the HT spark, is it every TDC or not, or you need to look on the LT [low tension 12v] side with a volt meter. You will be looking for a vlotage on one of the coils and then stopping, this generates the HT spark. If this event happens every TDC, then you are fine. If every 2nd TDC then the TDC with the voltage on /off is Compression.

if there is a spark every TDC, then you define which is compression or exhaust TDC when you fit the cams. So start with the rear cyl and fit the cams [RE and RI cam marks, as you comment below] at the RT crank alignment mark. Set the CCT as per instructions, then the rear is done and you set the front. To ensure the correct relationship you need to turn teh crank anti-clockwise 450 degrees (one and a quarter turns) until the 'FT' mark lines up . then fit the front cams at FE FI etc etc

If there is not a spark every rev, then you need to put a meter on the Low tension side of the Coil, and work out which TDC the rear sparks at, then follow the instructions above.

I have started on the rear not the front, as that allows you to follow the CCT instructions and we are all sure the 450 degrees is the correct phasing!

Hope that helps, but I have not looked at the ignition of the VTR, so I am basing all this on a) fitting my CCT's and b) the ignition systems on other race bikes. So I may be wrong, but as long as you get the 450degrees correct, there will be no damage.
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Jazz,
I had a bit more of a search, and got this
http://www.superhawk996.net/Honda_VTR10 ... Manual.pdf

page 166 takes you through it.

From what I can read, if you have both cams out, then you decide which is compression and then set the other cylinder to the correct phasing. So that confirms it has a wasted spark.

That book says do front 1st if you have had both sets of Cams out, but then you need to follow all the timing instructions from this book and set the other cylinder from that datum. As I trust the instructions in our knowledge base, I would still go with the rear first, then the ACW 450 deg. but then I never follow the easy route!

good luck
AMcQ
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Cheers for the info AMCQ that helps put my mind at rest. Im not gonna go into the garage tonight as Iv had a sh1t day and I might feck things up. Feckin exhaust on the car fell off. I feel like a jinx just now.

Jazz :wtf:
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good