Recalcitrant Sump Ploog

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ex-viffer

Recalcitrant Sump Ploog

Post by ex-viffer »

The previous owner of my increasingly frustrating Firestorm has done summat weird to the sump plug, and I can't get the fooker out. (It's not a backwards thread, is it?!?) I dunno if he's loctited it in, used a pneumatic wrench, or cross-threaded the thing, but it won't budge.

Any ideas? I'm determined to get it out, even if it wrecks it (it's already not looking too flash, but I've ordered a new one).
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

nope it's a normal thread, try and use a metrinch socket if you can get one which will grip the flats instead of the corners of the bolt head. If the bolt head had rounded off then drill a pilot hole all the way through it, let the oil out. Then gradually open the hole up until the head (and bolt shoulder) comes off but don't drill deeper than you have too. Once the head (and shoulder) is off then it should come out real easy but you may need a left hander extractor to ease it out.

Del.
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Thanx, Del. I've already ordered a new plug and washer, so it doesn't really matter how much I bugger up the plug (as long as the drain hole is OK). I'd already decided to file the flats down to 11mm, as my 12 mm socket is one of those ones with 12 (?) flats in it, whereas the 11 is just 6-sided, so should grip a bit tighter methinks. Anyways, the plan is to file it to be a tight fit, so I have to tap the socket on with a hammer, then hopefully I'll be alright. I might just look out for one of them there metrinch sockets anyways, see how that goes first.
And then I'm off round to kick the previous owner. :wink:
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Hrrrmmmm....
Filing down the flats proved almost impossible due to lack of room, and hammering a 7/16" (whatever the hell that is) spanner onto it just muntered it some more, so I grit my teeth, got the drill and a selection of bits out, centre-punched the plug, and started drilling. Once I was nearly all the way through, I stuck the biggest screw extractor I had in the hole, whacked a 12" crescent spanner on the end, and started leaning on it.
After a while there was a very loud crack. Uh oh....
I thought, "Here we go - the feckin extractor's snapped" (what usually happens), but no, it was the sump plug surrendering. Yay!!

So I now have a shiny new sump plug (why are they chromed?!?) and shiny new oil (Motul 5100 semi-synth).
- Ian in EnZed
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi ex-viffer
Glad to hear you finally got your sump plug out. Its a horrible feeling when those extractors crack-off releasing the thread, you are almost afraid to look because its like you said they usually do snap off,
cheers Chris.