Crash bungs

General Bike chat
firestorm jedi

Crash bungs

Post by firestorm jedi »

Good day party people. Having committed the ultimate faupas and dropped my bike whilst cleaning it :Argue 1: then :oops:
I have decided it may be a good idea to put some bungs on. Only thing is I can't work out where they need to go without having a 63mm clearance for them to go just above the fairing and below (I think) the frame.
My question is this. Who has some? What sort are they? Where did you mount them? Did you have to make any mods first? Ok so thats four questions. Any help will be, as usual, greatly appreciated.

Ta Jedi :Saber:
matt1966

Re: Crash bungs

Post by matt1966 »

Hi I got some T-rex frame sliders cost bout £50 had to order from good old U.S of A and too about 2 weeks. Didnt have to do any mods.www.t-rex-racing.com
geodude

Post by geodude »

I just put some R&G ones on today. £111 inc p&p. Full report and pics to folllow probably tomorrow.

Geo.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
andyh

Post by andyh »

I put Motrax crash bungs on mine. Bolt straight to the frame with no mods, and I can vouch for them as well, tried and tested :oops:
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

T-Rex ones good in a drop off sidestand situationetc but not so good in an accident as bitter experience taught me (see a previous posting). Nicely made though.
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
geodude

Post by geodude »

Say it with pictues I say!!

I bought these from R&G Direct. £111 delivered and the build quality is great. Once fitted I laid the bike down to see which points touch the ground.

The exhaust and indicators touch the ground when the bike is laid down. The others bits that look like they are touching in the pics below, are not.

Here are the pics

“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
firestorm jedi

Post by firestorm jedi »

Jeepers..... crash bung fitting school. :clap: Thats excellent. You truly have brass ones cutting into your fairing. I think I'd pay someone to do that as I'd end up cutting my bike in half with my fists of ham. Thanks for the guide Geodude. Muchas useful. :thumbup:
firestorm jedi

Post by firestorm jedi »

[quote="andyh"]I put Motrax crash bungs on mine. Bolt straight to the frame with no mods, and I can vouch for them as well, tried and tested :oops:[/quote]
Those sound like the easy option and therefore the best [mostly]. Where abouts did you put them? Couldn't locate an obvious spot when I looked, without needing a 63mm clearance...... That was just below the frame. Behind the choke on Geodudes picture, 16th down. :eh:
geodude

Post by geodude »

firestorm jedi wrote:Jeepers..... crash bung fitting school. :clap: Thats excellent. You truly have brass ones cutting into your fairing. I think I'd pay someone to do that as I'd end up cutting my bike in half with my fists of ham. Thanks for the guide Geodude. Muchas useful. :thumbup:
I was a bit worried as my mate cut into the fairing but as it happened I had nothing to worry about. It cuts really easy when you have something behind it to guide the drill. In my case it was a bit of crafted aluminium.

Afterwards though we both agreed a bit of wood behind the fairing may have been just as good.

It was rather rewarding having done it ourselves. Plus the £90 I saved getting someone else to do it has more than paid for the Puig screen I've just ordered.

I checked my friends VFR800 who paid a pro to fit his and it looks rubbish in comparison. It looks like they took a dremmel to his fairing. :(
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i'd probably put the hole saw straight through the rad lol!!!

when mine went down the vfr bars twisted back and went into the tank, restyling it proper :roll:
probably due to the fact that the locating lug is in a different place and doesn't sit in the yoke like the standard bars.
tidy job that is & seems a good investment seeing how long mine has took to fix after a relatively minor drop :thumbdown:
hopefully you will never need them eh!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Say it with pictures?

T-Rex ones.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81476041@N00/459128381/
&
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81476041@N00/465311102/

Scuffed the frame as it twisted on the bracket and that wrote the frame (and the bike) off !
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

LotusSevenMan wrote:Say it with pictures?

T-Rex ones.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81476041@N00/459128381/
&
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81476041@N00/465311102/

Scuffed the frame as it twisted on the bracket and that wrote the frame (and the bike) off !
oh deary me - you'd have been better off letting the indicator and casing take the knock eh, that's made a right mess.
regards o/p installation - may be an idea cutting a larger hole in the fairing and using a nice rubber grommet so there's a bit of room around the bung in case you do drop it.
i can imagine you'd be ok if it just fell over, but if it's a 30mph+ slide on the side there will be a lot of backwards force on the bung mount - looking at lsm's pics i think i'd rather trash the fairing than lose the frame lol 8O
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Well...not that you can buy these - but here is my take on making crash protectors myself.
Added carbon cover for clutch cover as it is inevitably get's some impact...

They fix to 3d frames that fixed to 2 engine bolts and have support (not bolted to) frame connecting beam. E.g. spreading impact to 3 points.
Those are still kinda prototype. I did not make crash pads themselves too long to avoid worse-than-no sliders impact.
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul