France run, VTR or GSXR1000K6?

General Bike chat
tim-e

France run, VTR or GSXR1000K6?

Post by tim-e »

Hi All,
Never having run on the road for any distance my VTR, a trip to france is on the cards.
Question is, I'm finishing rebuilding a GSXR thou K6 ( not ridden this either) which would be the better bike?
I'm not taking any luggage & want to enjoy some quality fast riding :twisted:

Please don't just say use the Honda, because this is a VTR site!

thanks
Giddsy

Re: France run, VTR or GSXR1000K6?

Post by Giddsy »

Ok then go on the Gixxer!

I rode my Storm down to Croatia. Luggage and bird as well. Was fantastic and always comfortable. Can't comment on the Gixxer tho as have never ridden one.

Either way you're bound to have a ball.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Take the bike you'd prefer to be on?

Like Giddys says you'll enjoy it either way. Not ridden a K6. Only thing that would do you on the twin is fuel stops. But if youre doing mega miles your butt will thank you anyway I suppose.
SP1's rock!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Depends which bit of France and how many miles- it's a big place.
And if you're going alone or with friends, and what they're on.

Fuel stops are a pain on the Storm, and your friends will certainly point out that you're filling up more often than they have to.
If you're going with mates on big Beemers, for instance, they'll have enough fuel to fill up only every other time you do!

I'd be tempted to say the GSXR; it sounds more like your trip's what it's designed to do.

But if you take the Storm it'll do the job no prob.

Last comment- you say you're just finishing the GSXR, have you had to do anything that means you're unsure about its reliability, like an engine rebuild?
I'd not want to take a just-rebuilt engine on a foreign trip without putting a few miles in first to check everything's ok.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tim-e

Post by tim-e »

it'll be a solo trip, & the bike was purchased as a project- it was very damaged, the engine is untouched the only thing to worry about is the fancy fuel injection ( i like things simple, like carbies).
The idea of a very fast ride down to the med', sounds good, however i've seen the results of people canning it down to the Bol' Dor near Toulon.
It takes them two days to get over it!,even going slower you can only go so fast before the discomfort out ways the pleasure.

I've fabbed up a new subframe, lowering the seat hight ( K6 ) hopfully making it nicer to ride, I don't get this butt up rideing stance had a go on a R1 the other day, found the postion like rideing a plank- very odd!

i realy need to try both out, only trouble is the K6 is not ready yet & the cost of insuring etc both bikes is not very appealing.

Ps, i carn't see were to go to change my pass word?
BBUK01

Post by BBUK01 »

tim-e wrote:only trouble is the K6 is not ready yet & the cost of insuring etc both bikes is not very appealing.
:clap: well there you go, you have answered it yourself, take the storm, cos the K6 aint ready!! :mrgreen:

WITH SKILL COMES SPEED
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

I've owned both vtr and GSXR 1000 K6 which I bought new..............both good, K6 running at 70 ish in top.........(loads of upmh) can get almost 50mpg, however it makes going fast almost too easy..........and handles better than my riding skills..........but if its fun you want..........then go on the vtr. It will use more petrol but of the two I'd choose the vtr, just take a spare reg/rect with you if you can.........I did Hull to Plymouth 333miles and cooked my battery when the reg went AWOL. Its my only worry..........has yours got updated one?......

Wish I was going on a trip like you.............got slipped disc at moment and cant even put on own socks.................
it may be clever, but its not big.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tim-e wrote:use the Honda, because this is a VTR site!
you said that, not me :biggrin

enjoy the trip - take a petrol can if local regs allow it.

password??? user control panel, profile, account settings - voila :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.