Thinking of buying - thoughts please ?

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
snollygoster7

Thinking of buying - thoughts please ?

Post by snollygoster7 »

Hi all - very good forum, have read loads!

Anyway, I have the chance to buy a 2001 Orange Storm from a dealer with only 7K on the clock. Dealer wants £2.5k for it, which seems a bit steep to me (?) and don't think he'll budge much. It looks very clean, has scorpion cans, bellypan, rear hugger, Water security (?) but is not the updated version of the bike.

Downside is no service history whatsoever and I can't contact the previous owner who traded it in...so obviously I'm going to have to get the CCT's done right? And probably an 8K service. Just for peace of mind. Not mechanical at all, so would get this done for me. Haven't ridden it yet either, but it sounds good and no rattle from the CCT's that I can tell.

So, bottom line...good buy or overpriced esp given the (non) history and the fact that I'll have to shell out after the 3 month warranty (the other plus)...

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Jbrebel

Re: Thinking of buying - thoughts please ?

Post by Jbrebel »

Hi-Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Sounds similar to the storm I bought about 4 years ago now. Except mine was teal in colour. I think that's why it was a little cheaper :biggrin

It too had 7000 miles on the clock, minimal service history, CCT's were standard and it had a few optional extras. I paid £2600 at the time, from a dealer too. That was around 2006-2007.

IMO 2.5K is too much for a VTR like you've described even though it sounds a very tidy bike :thumbup: Personally I wouldn’t pay more than £1900 for Storm in that condition at that age-and that would be on a good day.

Ultimatley the choice is yours :thumbup: Good luck, they are a good bike.
SP1's rock!
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

hi matey, low miles with the extra's on it, 2.5k aint a bad price from a dealer tbh, service history aint a biggy, i always service any new bike i buy and you can tell if its been looked after :wink: if you think the cost is to high for ya just make an offer (can only say no) or ask what he can do for a trade sale, might get a few £££ off but you'll av no comeback, take her out for a test ride you may not even like a twin! 8O they aint for everyone............ oh welcome to the forum fella :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can buy them a bit cheaper, but this doesn't sound too far off the mark, for a good one.
But at that price I'd expect near flawless paint, no crazing or cracks on the fairing, and decent tyres. not the originals still on it.

If you want a second opinion, let us know where you are in the uk and there's bound to be someone who will help you out kicking the tyres.....
Dealers take you a bit more seriously when you have someone who clearly knows what they're about with that model.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard SG7 :thumbup:

You will always pay a little more from a dealer, but you have got some come back if there is anything seriously wrong with a bike that you don't notice until after you've bought it.

I agree you can always make an offer, plus you can always up your offer if you wish, but low mileage Firestorm's in excellent condition are now becoming harder to find.

If you wanted to buy road legal Scorpion can's yourself you would be looking at somewhere around £200 - £250 on Ebay, and that's if you're lucky enough to see some for sale. A new set would probably be around £500 - £600 depending on exact type.
So if you wanted after market can's on your bike take that into consideration on the price. On the other hand if you wanted to keep the bike standard you could always sell the Scorpion can's on Ebay and recuperate some of the initial price, providing you get the original can's with the bike that is to replace them with. You may need the original can's anyway for MOT purposes depending on the MOT tester. Worth asking the dealer if they come with the bike.

A very good suggestion by Tony, of someone near you who's familiar with the Firestorm going along with you and having a look.

Chris.

PS. Smart Water security explained here:
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5027 ... ng-Systems
Buckers

Post by Buckers »

Well I've been lucky.

I got my storm today, a 99 with only 4k miles for 1900. I did some research before I bought this one and IMHO I think 2.5 is about 300 to much from a dealer. If you really want Orange, it might be worth it as I didn't see a heap of them.

I'd hang fire unless you really can't wait.