what shock

General Bike chat
garymitch

what shock

Post by garymitch »

im going to be sending my forks to roger at Revolution this next week. im looking to put a new shock on the rear but i wanted to know what everyone else is using and what they recomend as im going to use the bike for the road and track too.
benny hedges

Re: what shock

Post by benny hedges »

best bet is ask roger imo.
he fits penske but they're about 500 notes iirc :eek2
i'd be interested to know what he recommends - what heavier springs will fit etc.
ive got a cbr600 shock sat here but not looked yet if it'll go on.
got another off a cr500 but the bike will be in the clouds with that on lol
was planning to take swing arm off today & have a closer look but carried on with paint job while it was nice out.

was looking at some progressive springs on fleabay for 80 notes but not sure what way to go yet..
wouldn't mind the same anti-dive set up like on my 750 :think:

ed - just ordered some wirth progressive springs from wemoto, not a bad price tbh.
from what i heard theyre a bit stiffer than the hagon and better quality.
have to wait tho cos there's none in stock atm, not like i'm going anywhere in a hurry lol :silent:
decided to keep the back as it is for now and see how i go on with the 4mm spacer and progressive springs & heavier oil.
should make quite a difference...
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
garymitch

Post by garymitch »

iv a 4mm spacer in and iv droped the forks 5mm and its made a big diffrence
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

I bought a TechnoFlex.

Didn't fit it :oops: but it seemed a good unit :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
vtrbarmy

Post by vtrbarmy »

Yep got a WP unit on mine too and handling is superb (just need to do the forks) BUT....WP are still sorting out their dealership in the UK following being bought by KTM last year - the lacquer has lifted on my spring, and I am having the devils own job getting it sorted. So whilst I woul dthoroughly recommend WP, until they sort their dealership and support network out in the UK, I'd avoid and go for something like and Ohlins unit which is similarly priced.

And on that, if you do fancy an Ohlins, speak with Will at FTRSuspension, http://www.ftrsuspension.co.uk/ very very helpful people
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Jbrebel wrote:I bought a TechnoFlex.

Didn't fit it :oops: but it seemed a good unit :thumbup:
you still got it???? :think: :beer: :beer: :beer:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

I've tried Ohlins and WP on my previous bikes. Then on Firestorm I went for Wilbers unit - one with separately adjustable low and high speed compression damping and adjustable rebound but no remote preload adjuster.
After first ride with it I am convert now. They are not cheap - sometimes you can find them cheaper (promo) at 550 Euro but usual price from factory is 649 Euro. You need to supply your weight information and they send correctly sprung shock even preset - but you got 22 clicks of adjustments on each damping adjuster.
I think that most important is to get shock that have separate low and high speed compression damping circuits. It's just different world ride quality and allow to ride on real roads with bad surface in comfort while still having good control.
Wilbers now gives 5 years warranty and their service so far (I did not had to do it myself, but for friend) been flawless.
Actually my wilbers on Storm 5 years later still does not need rebuild at all. I installed same type of shock on my Suzuki DR800 and results are equally good. Also with wilbers on storm rear of bike gets jacked up a bit because shock is tad longer.
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

benny hedges wrote: was looking at some progressive springs on fleabay for 80 notes but not sure what way to go yet..
wouldn't mind the same anti-dive set up like on my 750 :think:

ed - just ordered some wirth progressive springs from wemoto, not a bad price tbh.
from what i heard theyre a bit stiffer than the hagon and better quality.
have to wait tho cos there's none in stock atm, not like i'm going anywhere in a hurry lol :silent:
decided to keep the back as it is for now and see how i go on with the 4mm spacer and progressive springs & heavier oil.
should make quite a difference...
Benny,
Not wishing to pish on your fireworks, but I think you'll find linear fork springs are the preferred after-market springs and not the progressive type for the Firestorm.

Garymitch,
Well worth getting your forks re-worked by Roger. You'll definitely notice the difference :thumbup:

Chris.
vtrbarmy

Post by vtrbarmy »

sirch345 wrote:
benny hedges wrote:
Benny,
Not wishing to pish on your fireworks, but I think you'll find linear fork springs are the preferred after-market springs and not the progressive type for the Firestorm.

Chris.
Hmm be interesting to see the reply on this, as I'd be with Benny on this one. For the road, progressive's are better IMO than linear, which are more for the track than road use, as you can't set linerar's up for every type of road condition - progressives are better than standard and more forgiving for road use. Only my opinion mind, I think at end of day it's what every individual is happy with for me it will be progressive's every time.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

sirch345 wrote: Benny,

Chris.

lol theyre on the way now so i'll give them a try and see what they feel like.
really wary about the bottoming out under hard braking and the bouncy castle rocking horse effect on most of the roads round here - a few times ive braked hard and had instant bottom out (ooo err) and felt the brakes juder like mad, anything would be an improvement over standard imo!

definately something i'll look into though, the linear springs - bought these after a mate put hagon progressive springs on his with heavier oil and said it was a good improvement but not as comfy. not arsed about comfort as long as it does what it's fkin told lol : :mrgreen:

next major upgrade for me would be a complete front end probs with upside down forks and better brakes (all round) - plus i quite like rama's swing arm brace but my ally welding is tosh :thumbdown:
garymitch

Post by garymitch »

i did think about fitting a front end off another bike with usd forks but not sure what would fit the vtr.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

VTRBarmy said
Hmm be interesting to see the reply on this, as I'd be with Benny on this one. For the road, progressive's are better IMO than linear, which are more for the track than road use, as you can't set linerar's up for every type of road condition - progressives are better than standard and more forgiving for road use. Only my opinion mind, I think at end of day it's what every individual is happy with for me it will be progressive's every time.
Gota agree with this. Progressives are much better as an all rounder. No chance of them bottoming out, the spring just gets stronger the harder you compress it. And going over normal road surfaces the ride is smooth and comfortable. They normally come with a lighter oil too which helps keep the wheel in contact with the road quicker if you should hit a few bumps.
With linear you will always get a very predictable set up, especially on track, but the road surfaces, or what's around the corner isn't always predictable.
Either way, they are both better than the standard set up so I expect which ever way you go you'll be pleased.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

OK OK don't shoot the messenger :thumbdown:

Obviously you must do what you think is best. From what I've read and heard from the experts progressive springs are not all they're cracked up to be.

And just to back up what I'm saying here's what Stormin Ben says about it. He rode his Storm on the road and track.

Chris.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

I ashamed to admit it :oops: but I have progressive springs in my Storm and they match performance of shock very well.
But my forks alse revalved and different oil used.
Reason being - I ride on any kind of roads and surface...let say far from good.
I used Hyperpro springs because unlike most of progressive springs they have constantly decreasing (increasing?) coil rate.
E.g. not one part of spring that rate and another is higher but it's all way progressive.
I have no idea if they still make those in Europe, but I remember they did cost me about 30-40 Euros more than good quality progressive springs from other makers. And used their recommended oil too.

http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.php?cat=Springs
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Take if from me, when I took out my standard springs and oil considering the reduction in length of the spring anything would have improved my front end. I have WP progressives in the front now and they have improved 10 fold. I reckon that new standard spring would be a vast improvement that what I took out of mine.

One of the things I have to get used to, is with the spacer in the back and the front not sinking under its own weight, the bike sits at a more acute angle on the side stand.