RIDE OUT END OF JUNE~~ TO HARTSIDE CAFE~~

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Anotherbikerbabe

RIDE OUT END OF JUNE~~ TO HARTSIDE CAFE~~

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Hi Guys (& gals?)

Having a ride out to Hartside end of June somewhere around Sunday 27th if fits with others. :beer:

Map was playing up, so posted it in here as this is the route we are taking except leaving from Elvanfoot nr Abingdon, :p and riding down the A7076 to where it picks up the map from Lockerbie.

On way back, seeing as how we are only 15 mins from Carronbridge and onto the Dalveen pass, all refreshments will be at our place along with the use of the bathroom as it is long ride for anyone coming down from Glasgow area etc.Ice cold drinks and mars bars for energy will be provided. :thumbup:

Then it is leaving and riding cpl of miles to Auldgirth on onto the A76 up to Carronbridge and onto the A702 and up the Dalveen Pass. This road is around about 18 miles and runs all the way up to Elvanfoot and puts you back onto the A7076 back to Abingdon.. :wave:

This proves to be a good ride out, so if interested in tagging along, give us a shout. The more the merrier.Anyone interested in coming along, let me know....

ABB

Onto the A6071 across to Brampton and onto the A689 to Alston, (cops in a hidey place lay in wait, :Argue 1: sneaky little bar stewards!) over to Hartside cafe :thumbup:

where there must have been over 300 bikes today.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 510132&z=8[/googlemap]

Cya there
ABB
Last edited by Anotherbikerbabe on Mon May 31, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
Strappy

Re: Todays outing with pics..:-)

Post by Strappy »

Anotherbikerbabe wrote:What a fantastic day for the bikes. :thumbup: Left around 10am ...

Lightweight! Us hardcore types were up and out at ... erm ... 9.30am today :shifty:

Had new boots to scrub in so took a run down to St. Mary's Loch, Moffat and on to Biggar via the Beeftub road.

Only stopped for a couple of pics, then dropped in at the Honda dealers to blag a free coffee. Funny how an SP-2 seems to start conversations with total strangers, had half-a-dozen chats that started with "nice bike". That never happened when I had the Fireblade. :thumbup:

Hope this weather sticks around for a while, it's been glorious. :cool2
blacknek

Post by blacknek »

i had a great day out with those too, came home about 3.40 ish and the weather was great, bloody so many bikes at 1 place at the cafe, even thought the ferry last yrs NW200 was full.... :thumbup:

till nex time....

ed
Anotherbikerbabe

Hey Strappy

Nice pics, I love that road for the scenery. You should of given us a shout, you could of tagged along no probs since you weren't all that far away from us! Glad you enjoyed your day.Thats me now until next day off Sunday :0( Have to go to bloody Glasgee tomorrow & Tuesday for work on my 2 days off.... :thumbdown: Last one for a while anyhow.. Roll on next weekend, sad aint it, wishing the working week away already!
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Nice pics lads n lassies :thumbup:

Ed , i got your pm mate ,i tried texting you but got no reply ,not to worry ,always next time. My dodgy back couldnt have done that distance anyway.
I just went to my dad's in Troon,there were loads of bikes out .
Stevie
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

That looks like a great day folks :D Thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Strappy Said
Funny how an SP-2 seems to start conversations with total strangers, had half-a-dozen chats that started with "nice bike". That never happened when I had the Fireblade.
That's because everyone's got a fireblade or knows someone who does :wink: Also, An Sp is pure sex on wheels :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

wombles it, may as well pitch in with mine. Actually went out yesterday....140 miles and the roads all to myself.

Lovely and warm despite some snow still on the hills.
Rich.

Anotherbikerbabe

Nice pic Rich, :thumbup: where was that?
tattie

Post by tattie »

Might as well join in, went out yesterday and today as well (na na, na na na) :D , weather was fantastic, Went on the usual run to Ullapool via Edderton, Ardgay, Bonar Bridge, Lairg, Ledmore Junction, Elphin and destination Ullapool. The place was heaving with bikes and tourists. Headed home via Garve, (the road alongside Loch Garve is very badly potholed :eek2 , Strathpeffer, Dingwall, Alness and home.
Did'nt take any pics as I have not got a clue how to upload them.
Today went to Lairg, The Mound, Golspie, Brora and then turned and headed home via the A9 South, lots of bikes on the go and the main road was heaving with traffic.

Yesterday the bike just did not seem right going in to the corners and I put it down to the rear tyre been almost to the wear indicators and pretty squared off, any how when I got home, I had a good look at the tyre on the paddock stand and noticed in the centre of the tyre there is a wavy darker line of rubber running around the entire perimeter. When you run a finger over it you can feel a slight ridge. I checked the pressure as well and it was 22psi, FFS :sick: I had only checked it the previous week and it was ok, no wonder it felt funny, so put it up to the advised 42 and went out today to see what it felt like, a lot better but still was funny tipping in to the corners. I never felt anything like that when I had the storm, it was always shod with Bridgestones and even when squared off it still turned in ok. The SP has Michelin Pilot power 2ct on just now and I am thinking whether to bother in just replacing the rear with the same or change the front and rear for Brigestones.

Cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
Strappy

Post by Strappy »

Anotherbikerbabe wrote:Roll on next weekend, sad aint it, wishing the working week away already!
Aren't weekends like this one of the reasons we go to work? :wink:

I'd be up for a run one weekend, it'd be good to get out and meet some folk. Although reading that makes it sound as though I'm some sort of house-bound loner... :silent:

tattie wrote:I never felt anything like that when I had the storm, it was always shod with Bridgestones and even when squared off it still turned in ok. The SP has Michelin Pilot power 2ct on just now and I am thinking whether to bother in just replacing the rear with the same or change the front and rear for Brigestones.
I was a big fan of BT016 on the Fireblade but the new tyres on the SP are Dunlop SportSmart, which are supposed to be more grippy in the wet and dry and last longer than the competitors. Which is nice. Yet to see how all that pans out but first impressions are good.

If you can find the size in your preferred rubber, get a 190/55 on the rear. The extra height of the profile helps turn-in without the flex penalty you get from putting a 180 on.
escocia

Post by escocia »

Cupasoop
Is that a pic taken on thewanlockhead / leadhills road?
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Anotherbikerbabe wrote:Nice pic Rich, :thumbup: where was that?
escocia wrote:Cupasoop
Is that a pic taken on thewanlockhead / leadhills road?
It is, the Menock Pass.
Rich.

Anotherbikerbabe

I'd be up for a run one weekend, it'd be good to get out and meet some folk. Although reading that makes it sound as though I'm some sort of house-bound loner...No problem at all. I'll put up a post if we are going out on Sunday next week, so now we wait on the weather ;-)

tattie wrote:
If you can find the size in your preferred rubber, get a 190/55 on the rear. The extra height of the profile helps turn-in without the flex penalty you get from putting a 180 on. I have a 190/55 on mine and Dave has the 180 on his, which came with the bike and he said the tyres on mine (as he has ridden both)make such a difference in comparison to his, esp in the corners etc and I wanted to know something.........Can you fit the 190/55 to the same wheel as the 180's? I would of thought so, but wanted to know for sure. I changed my wheels on a car once for low profiles etc etc and didn't need do anything bar change the alloy etc yet I know you can only go so high etc for any spec so does it work the same on the Storm? Would a 190/55 fit Daves back wheel which currently has a 180 on it without the need to replace the wheel itself? Sorry,didn't mean to hijack the thread!! grovel grovel.... :shifty:
Strappy

Post by Strappy »

Anotherbikerbabe wrote:Can you fit the 190/55 to the same wheel as the 180's? I would of thought so, but wanted to know for sure. I changed my wheels on a car once for low profiles etc etc and didn't need do anything bar change the alloy etc yet I know you can only go so high etc for any spec so does it work the same on the Storm? Would a 190/55 fit Daves back wheel which currently has a 180 on it without the need to replace the wheel itself? Sorry,didn't mean to hijack the thread!! grovel grovel.... :shifty:
Right, disclaimer first. I'm not an expert, this is all based on what I've read and tried for myself over the years. Your experience may differ, opinions are just that, your home may be at risk if you go out without locking the doors, etc. ;)

First off, a 190 goes on a 6" rim, a 180 on a 5.5". Some people fit a 180 on a 6" rim in order to quicken the steering, which will work because there's less rubber to roll over when you corner. However, there's always a however, the side walls of the 180 will be straighter and the tyre won't be able to flex as much when the bike's on its ear. There's plenty of track dayers and club racers running 180s on litre bikes so it's not as though it's a major issue, more something you might notice when riding. IMO the greater availability of 190/55 tyres these days negates any benefit that fitting a 180 might give you.

Aside: the second number in the tyre type is the height of the tyre as a percentage of its width. A 190/55 tyre is 190mm wide and 104.5mm tall whereas a 190/50 is 95mm tall. This means the profile of the 55 tyre will be taller across the same width, so you'll turn in quicker.

Assuming the 'storm comes with a 180 as standard (based on a quick look at the MCN review), I don't know whether there'd be any benefit from putting a 190 on a 5.5" rim. Personally I wouldn't as I'd have thought you'll be nipping the bead in tighter than it's supposed to be but if you're running one without any issues it can't be that bad.

I guess what I'm saying in a roundabout way is, "I dunno". Sorry about that :crazy:
Anotherbikerbabe

Strappy wrote:
Anotherbikerbabe wrote:Can you fit the 190/55 to the same wheel as the 180's? I would of thought so, but wanted to know for sure. I changed my wheels on a car once for low profiles etc etc and didn't need do anything bar change the alloy etc yet I know you can only go so high etc for any spec so does it work the same on the Storm? Would a 190/55 fit Daves back wheel which currently has a 180 on it without the need to replace the wheel itself? Sorry,didn't mean to hijack the thread!! grovel grovel.... :shifty:
Right, disclaimer first. I'm not an expert, this is all based on what I've read and tried for myself over the years. Your experience may differ, opinions are just that, your home may be at risk if you go out without locking the doors, etc. ;)

First off, a 190 goes on a 6" rim,(Which I'm sure mine is, as works perfectly well on my bike and been on it for some time by previous owner who did quite a bit to said bike) a 180 on a 5.5". Some people fit a 180 on a 6" rim in order to quicken the steering, which will work because there's less rubber to roll over when you corner. However, there's always a however, the side walls of the 180 will be straighter and the tyre won't be able to flex as much when the bike's on its ear(ok, getting it so far, don't I just love quenching my thirst for bike knowledge!). There's plenty of track dayers and club racers running 180s on litre bikes so it's not as though it's a major issue, more something you might notice when riding.IMO the greater availability of 190/55 tyres these days negates any benefit that fitting a 180 might give you.

Aside: the second number in the tyre type is the height of the tyre as a percentage of its width. A 190/55 tyre is 190mm wide and 104.5mm tall whereas a 190/50 is 95mm tall. This means the profile of the 55 tyre will be taller across the same width, so you'll turn in quicker. :idea:

Assuming the 'storm comes with a 180 as standard (based on a quick look at the MCN review), I don't know whether there'd be any benefit from putting a 190 on a 5.5" rim. Personally I wouldn't as I'd have thought you'll be nipping the bead in tighter than it's supposed to be but if you're running one without any issues it can't be that bad.Mine is good, no probs, just needed more info to make an executive decision....I guess what I'm saying in a roundabout way is, "I dunno". Sorry about that :crazy:
:think: Thanks.. :plainsmile