Knee down

General Bike chat
WayneM

Knee down

Post by WayneM »

Hi All,

What do I have to do to get my knee down goddamnit! I can get the pegs down without to much problem (on my fav roundabout) but I cant my knee down. Is it just a case of body position?

Basically, I've got my butt over and my knee pointing out but no joy. Feels like im hanging off for all I'm worth but it just aint happening boo hoo! I dont know how far off I am (I decided it wasnt a good idea to look at my knee!!)

Is there some secret tip ?
firestorm_al
Site Admin

The safe way to get your knee down

Post by firestorm_al »

Step 1 - Get yer leathers on with knee sliders.

Step 2 - Find a local kiddies playground that has a roundabout with concrete round it and not rubber mats.

Step 3 - Push the roundabout clockwise up to a sufficient speed then hang off the side and get your left knee on the deck.

Step 4 - Repeat step 3 anti-clockwise for right knee.

Step 5 - Turn up to your next ride out in the above leathers with a smug expression on your face and bask in the glory of your skuffed sliders. An anicdote or two helps here of how you blew away that guy on the 996 etc. etc.!
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Bwahahahahaha! I'll never be able to look at another worn knee slider again without thinking thats how it was achieved! :D
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

1) Slide off the seat so you've got one arsecheek on, and one arsecheek off (you can do what the magazines do and hang both off, but it will f**k up your riding)

2) Ball of your foot on the footpeg, outside leg carrying most of your weight (wedge your outside leg between footpeg and tank cutout)

3) Relax your arms, get your head low and to the side. Use the tank to steady your arms if poss

4) When you turn in, keep your head vertical as possible, look to the exit point of the turn and try to keep it smooth

5) Gradually speed up, don't try too hard or it won't happen

6) Skeeeerrrrrrrchhhhhhhhh!

First time I managed it, I did half a lap of the roundabout and me slider came off. :biggrin

At Darley last year I was trying too hard and not succeeding so I took me sliders off and gave em to Pete Carr. Rode much faster and smoother after that, so don't think that kneedown will necessarily equate to going faster! I was almost butt-ending a lad on an R1 through paddock corner and he was going through sliders like no-one's business.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
WayneM

Top stuff

Post by WayneM »

Cool bananas - thanks for that I'll give it a go. Now, do I;

A) Memorise the instructions
or
B) Print them off, laminate them and secure them over the dash on the bike! :lol:
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Better yet, why not print em off, and tape the instructions to the inside of your visor so you can read em as you go? :biggrin

Practice the body position first. Imagine a centre-line running halfway along the bike, front-to-rear. Then imagine a centre-line running along your spine. The 'proper' way to do it (not the only way) is to have your body centre-line parallel to the bike's centre line but shifted to the inside of the bend so you're not twisting your body - otherwise it may affect/upset the steering as you'll end up putting upper body weight through the bars.

Aim to have no body weight at all through the bars (you should be able to loosely flap your elbows like a chicken when decked over!) and try to keep it smooth.

Warm those tyres up first (goes without saying but...)

You can hang off like a loon and do it that way, but it's hard to guage how much lean you're using, which is normally much less than you think.

Force be with you and all that. :cool2
Firestorm996
WayneM

Blinding

Post by WayneM »

You Sir! You are a god! If it works then my wife will carry your children!!

I'll let you know!
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Shame I'm a crap rider. :mrgreen: :p :mrgreen: :p
Firestorm996
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

You'll find the storm will go over a very long way - you say you're grinding the pegs but do you still have the hero blobs/bolts on? have a scan thru the vtr gallery on here and you'll see what I mean :mrgreen:

On the road knee down is just for posing - on the track I'm dragging my knee on most corners but it's only a gauge as to how far over you are and not a third contact patch if you know what I mean!

Just make sure those tyres are really warm......or stick some 207GP's on :wink:

Steve
WayneM

Ok new problem!

Post by WayneM »

Thanks for the tips - worked a treat - I can now get my knee down without any issues. Problem now is Im addicted to doing it! Did a good 5 or 6 laps of my "special" roundabout the other night!

Now my slider looks like this!

firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Cool, looks like you've been having lots of fun. :wink2

Are those sparkies that you've got there?

I've been having loads of trouble this year, sort of confidence related but also due to my forks being set up badly. We reworked them last week and I now actually have suspension travel :eek2: but it needs an hour or two more setting up before it will be right again. I've been thinking it was my riding which was to blame but after a trip to see Roger at Revolution this was not really the case.

Anyhow, once the bike's handling nicely again I can start giving those sliders something to worry about! :cool2 Only problem is that near me there's not really any quiet roundabouts, especially ones with a good surface.
Firestorm996
adamski

Post by adamski »

Islands are NO challenge, go for proper roads and BOTH knees :D
Yeeeehaa!
I told you they crashed well!
WayneM

where?

Post by WayneM »

I've been searching for a suitable road so I can get my left knee down!! Any suggestions - Im willing to travel a fair way!!! :lol:
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Laguna Seca?

:wink2
Firestorm996
WayneM

:)

Post by WayneM »

hahaha I see it now;

"I'm just popping out for the morning papers love. I'll see you in a week!"