Wossiss then? An oil deflecter???

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scubadog

Wossiss then? An oil deflecter???

Post by scubadog »

Does anyone know what the metal plate and rubber disc on the inside of the right side engine case (clutch side) are for? See pics attached:

I'm thinking of having the clutch case windowed for my streetfightered 'Storm (see "Tango'd Storm" thread in the Pimp Your Ride section), and this would necessitate removing this plate assembly.

My local Honda dealership (Abingdon Honda) weren't too convincing - they said it's an "oil deflecter", which is supposed to redirect a small amount of oil from somewhere to somewhere else. Oh, and send a little bit over to the gearbox too. Wot??

Anyone got any ideas?

Scubadog
stormingjoe

Re: Wossiss then? An oil deflecter???

Post by stormingjoe »

yeah sort of right, tend to find things like this in gearboxs particullary autos, designed to control oil and prevent centrifuging which would take lubricant away from parts that require it and help splash it about a bit.
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
steve.g

Post by steve.g »

Its actually just to deaden sound from the clutch.You can remove it if you want with no problems.
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

How cares about a noisy clutch (or a noisy sprocket for that matter). Probably won't hear 'em over my noisy can!

It didn't look like it did much so good news for my windowed clutch cover!!

Thanks guys
Scoob
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Makes more sense that it just deadens sound a bit, as the smooth patterns on it won't do much to stop oil centrifuging.

They'd surely have put protruding blades or something like that on them if that was the case.

I wondered if it was to keep the oil in if you dropped it and wore through the outside of the crankcase?

But probably just wishful thinking on my part.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

tony.mon wrote:Makes more sense that it just deadens sound a bit, as the smooth patterns on it won't do much to stop oil centrifuging.

They'd surely have put protruding blades or something like that on them if that was the case.

I wondered if it was to keep the oil in if you dropped it and wore through the outside of the crankcase?

But probably just wishful thinking on my part.

General concensus is that it's only there to deaden sound - confirmed by a local bike dealer who I know and trust very well (Dave Wood of Dave Wood Racing in Aylesbury) so I'm going with that. I agree with Tony.mon - Honda would've designed something far more efficient if it was an oil deflecter.

Doesn't say much for the service bloke at my local Honda dealer - the oil deflecter idea started with him! Muppet...

Scoob
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

scubadog wrote:
Doesn't say much for the service bloke at my local Honda dealer - the oil deflecter idea started with him! Muppet...
I always thought that of Abingdon too, mind you, my Honda dealer in MK is just as bad :roll:
Ride Safe
Phil
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Hi folks

Long time away from the forum but thought I'd update this thread I started yonks ago. I went ahead with windowing the clutch cover, despite the whateveritis thing on the inside of the cover itself. Took it out, had the cover windowed and... no difference. No extra vibrations, no extra noise, no problems with oil circulation. Pic of the cover below...

So I STILL don't know what the hell that steel and rubber round thing is on the inside of the cover! I've got one spare if anyone wants it...

Scoob
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Oops. Here's a bigger image..

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I keep hearing that it's either a noise suppressor or an oil deflector but knowone is 100% sure or gives reasons behind why it it what it is. So I contacted Roger at Revolutions about it and he told me that it's a quietening device/noise suppressor. They used to remove them when racing the Mori bikes with no issues with removing it. My first gut instinct from examining it was that it was for throwing oil over the clutch but it's kind of curious how it has the slight straight edge and is not perfectly round and also that it sits on rubber so can vibrate towards the outside edges.

Given that Roger knows pretty much more than anyone else that I know specifically to the VTR I will take his word for it that it's for noise reduction. I don't think it does much and is just a small addition that Honda added for whatever reason. A bit like the rubber behind the original front sprocket which is there for noise emissions. There are such tight clearances within the clutch cover and clutch basket that I think with the clutch spinning adds a bit of pulsing noise as it spins, along with the pulses that spew out the filler cap if you remove it with the bike running.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside