Tango'd Storm

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
scubadog

Tango'd Storm

Post by scubadog »

Haven't been to the forum for quite a while. Some of you may remember pics of a streetfightered Firestorm a couple of years ago. Back then it was still in its original Jerez blue paint, so thought I'd update the forum with latest photos...

It's changed a bit...

Scubadog
Last edited by scubadog on Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scubadog

Re: Tango'd Storm

Post by scubadog »

Phew, the upload worked then.

So, here's a few more piccies...

Last edited by scubadog on Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Very 8)

That KTM style nose cone looks very nice :)
SP1's rock!
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Thanks for the comments guys.

The front fairing is from Pyramid Plastics (http://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk).

Below are some more pics showing the rad but basically it's a one-off built to my design by Docking Engineering at Silverstone. There's not enough space under the headstock for a traditionally mounted rad (I know, I tried it!) so I had to come up with a "plan B" and side-mount was the best option. I wanted to utilise existing mounts on the frame - ones that had become redundant since I removed the fairings, coil etc, so it's mounted with two brackets on the right side and has a cross tube that runs under the headstock. The cross tube mounts on the left side and incorporates a filler cap. Principle behind this is that the cross tube adds some initial cooling before the coolant reaches the main rad.

Cooling fans are from an Aprilia RSV Mille and are "staged", ie controlled by seperate sensors - one in the top of the rad (you can probably just see it) which controls the top fan, and one in the bottom to control the lower fan. Both are standard Firestorm temp sensors and activate at the same temperature. So, when hot coolant hits the upper sensor it switches on the top fan. If the coolant continues getting hotter (eg sitting in traffic etc) it reaches the bottom of the rad and hits the lower sensor, which then activates the lower fan, therefore doubling the cooling effect. A third standard Firestorm sensor also sits in the bottom of the rad and is connected to a temp warning light on the instruments.

The rad guard was made up for me by Beowulf, again to my specifications.

Sounds complicated but isn't really. Anyway, check out the photos and ask any questions you like!

Scubadog

Last edited by scubadog on Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I dont normally go for the streetfighter look, but the thought and detail design on this bike is F**k'n amazing!
so many one off solutions, and nothing done the easy or expected way, the overall look is great.

I salute your vision and your hard work! :thumbup:

PS
Is the steering damper bolted into the frame?
AMcQ
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Got to say-the more I see of it the more I like it 8) :clap:
SP1's rock!
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

nice job done there :thumbup:
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

AMCQ46 wrote:I dont normally go for the streetfighter look, but the thought and detail design on this bike is F**k'n amazing!
so many one off solutions, and nothing done the easy or expected way, the overall look is great.

I salute your vision and your hard work! :thumbup:

PS
Is the steering damper bolted into the frame?

Thanks for the comments chaps. The steering dampers bolted to a small boss mounted on the frame.
Scoob
andyh

Post by andyh »

Bloody Hell, that's gorgeous :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

Lovin the back end is it VFR800 arm and Triumph wheel???? 8)
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Yep, a pre-VTEC VFR800 swinger with a Triumph Speed Triple wheel and axle/hub assembly. The cush drive's Triumph (I machined the castings on the outside for a smooth finish) with a Renthal sprocket. Brembo caliper on a one-off mount with brake line and speedo sensor wiring routed internally through the swingarm. Topped off with a custom-made shock from Nitron to clear the re-routed exhaust (you might see that the shock and exhaust have swapped places), a Stealth Viper wavy disc and one-off chain guard.

Took a bit of work to get it all to fit, especially mating the Triumph hub to the VFR swinger and getting wheel alignment right, but worth it. With a GSXR 3-spoke front wheel, I wanted a "matching" 3-spoker on the back and not the VFR 5 or 6 spoker. Didn't like the Ducati rear at all so that just left the Triumph option. And I've got a soft spot for Speed Triples anyway - had a couple a few years ago and loved em to bits.

Scoob
Last edited by scubadog on Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

Message for "Jonesey".

Mate, got your PM but my reply won't budge from my "outbox" for some reason. Just won't send. Can anyone advise how to fix this PM problem? Seems it's happened before judging from an old thread elsewhere on the forum.

So here's my reply...

The breather's a one-off. I live close to Silverstone circuit and a mate of mine works for Earls. It's not a kit, just a length of Earls braided hose with a Honda fitment to replace the oil filler cap. I got the tapered filter on ebay.

Call Earls on 01327 858221 and ask for Alan Poole. Tell him Martin Archer suggested you call and you want a crankcase breather like the one on my orange Firestorm. He should remember! For the life of me, can't remember how much it was. Wasn't expensive though.

Scoob
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

PM's stay in the outbox until the recipent reads it mate.
Ride Safe
Phil
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It's looking really good Martin :thumbup: , thanks for posting the new pic's :D

I didn't think you could improve the original look very much, but you've proved me wrong,

Cheers,

Chris.
scubadog

Post by scubadog »

I guess it's all a matter of personal taste. Some will like, some won't. For me it was typical streetfighter motivations - start with a fantastic engine/frame combo and improve the handling and performance. But something different from the same old Bandit?GSXR formula. GSXR 750K2 front end works really well and, with the Nitron shock, the back end's much better now too. I also went one tooth down on the front sprocket so it goes like a scalded cat.

Scoob

PS Thanks for the advice on PM's Phil.

PPS The bike will be featured in Streetfighters magazine sometime this autumn.