AMQ46's storm

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
fabiostar

Re: AMQ46's storm

Post by fabiostar »

looks bloody lovely. proper order Al :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

And the bike is turning Black :biggrin
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

before

after
AMcQ
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Well Done Ali. Can't wait to see what you think of it after you've got it all dialed in :thumbup:
Mind you, if your weather is anything like ours at the moment it would have been more useful if you'd have fit waterwings and a snow plough :crazy:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Great job Al :clap: I'm amazed you have finished it already, that must have been down to plenty of forward planning before you started :wink: it looks amazing 8) 8) well done.

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the Tuono front end compared to what you did have once the weather gets warmer and you have had a chance to fine tune the fork settings,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:18 pm Great job Al :clap: I'm amazed you have finished it already, that must have been down to plenty of forward planning before you started :wink: it looks amazing 8) 8) well done,

Chris.
not so much forward planning Chris, it was more like pretty simple....... just buy a whole front end that already bolts together and pop a new stem in it!.

totting up the costs, I spent close to £1300 [including postage & tyre fitting etc] on all the bits I needed, and if I sell all the bits I took off I will get back just under £800, so the total cost of the mod is £500. ... which isn't bad, but it also shows how much I had invested in customising the old front end, as the std bits wouldn't get you back more than £300.

What I haven't factored in was the machining work to make the adapters for the stem and the spacer for the top yoke, the lads that work in our development garage did that for me for a bottle of whiskey, but anybody with a lathe and a micrometer could do this for you.

as well as all the big bits you saw in the earlier posts [forks, yokes, wheel, discs, calipers], you still need lots of little items that mount up. Like:
19mm Radial master cyl [of a GSXR750]
Axial master cyl to Radial Master cyl adapter [but this allowed me to use the hoses that came with the front end, so was a net saving compared to buying new hose set]'
Matching black & Gold titax Brake lever
Disc mounting bolts [opps, they might have been Ti]
Calliper mounting bolts [thought I bought them with the full front end, but then seller couldn't find them, so I bought Ti again!]
A set of VTR steering head bearings.
A spacer for the Touno front wheel [again thought I had it in the kit, but the seller couldn't find it so I got an official Aprillia one for less than I saw a few 2nd hand ones advertised on eBay.
Bar clamps to bring the bars back to same position they were on the storm yokes, but this allowed me to use the Rentals I already had rather than buy new fat bars.
Bigger diameter steering damper clamp [optional]

so anybody interested in doing the same mod, the shopping list is above, but the reason to move away from the normal Honda option and use the Aprillia RSV4 / tuono parts is this:
Same fork length as the storm,
same yoke offset as the storm
and also from a spring rate / damping design the RSV4 wet weight [214kg]and front rear bias is also the same as the firestorm.
Last edited by AMCQ46 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Top job Al.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Have you been out on it yet ?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

lloydie wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:45 pm Have you been out on it yet ?
Nah, to much sh1t on the road outside my house, would take me longer to clean it than the ride would take. Hopefully there might be a proper dry day and I might sneak out for a shake down..... But for the moment I just sneak in and look at it
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

it looks like it always was fitted to the bike. as in it doesnt look like an after thought..bloody lovely.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:49 pm
sirch345 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:18 pm Great job Al :clap: I'm amazed you have finished it already, that must have been down to plenty of forward planning before you started :wink: it looks amazing 8) 8) well done,

Chris.
not so much forward planning Chris, it was more like pretty simple....... just buy a whole front end that already bolts together and pop a new stem in it!.

totting up the costs, I spent close to £1300 [including postage & tyre fitting etc] on all the bits I needed, and if I sell all the bits I took off I will get back just under £800, so the total cost of the mod is £500. ... which isn't bad, but it also shows how much I had invested in customising the old front end, as the std bits wouldn't get you back more than £300.

What I haven't factored in was the machining work to make the adapters for the stem and the spacer for the top yoke, the lads that work in our development garage did that for me for a bottle of whiskey, but anybody with a lathe and a micrometer could do this for you.

as well as all the big bits you saw in the earlier posts [forks, yokes, wheel, discs, calipers], you still need lots of little items that mount up. Like:
19mm Radial master cyl [of a GSXR750]
Axial master cyl to Radial Master cyl adapter [but this allowed me to use the hoses that came with the front end, so was a net saving compared to buying new hose set]'
Matching black & Gold titax Brake lever
Disc mounting bolts [opps, they might have been Ti]
Calliper mounting bolts [thought I bought them with the full front end, but then seller couldn't find them, so I bought Ti again!]
A set of VTR steering head bearings.
A spacer for the Touno front wheel [again thought I had it in the kit, but the seller couldn't find it so I got an official Aprillia one for less than I saw a few 2nd hand ones advertised on eBay.
Bar clamps to bring the bars back to same position they were on the storm yokes, but this allowed me to use the Rentals I already had rather than buy new fat bars.
Bigger diameter steering damper clamp [optional]

so anybody interested in doing the same mod, the shopping list is above, but the reason to move away from the normal Honda option and use the Aprillia RSV4 / tuono parts is this:
Same fork length as the storm,
same yoke offset as the storm
and also from a spring rate / damping design the RSV4 wet weight [214kg]and front rear bias is also the same as the firestorm.
Thanks Al for putting that together, some really useful INFO there :thumbup:

It had slipped my mind about who'd be doing your machining work for you, very handy :wink:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Thanks Frank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:33 pm Image

Thanks Frank

:thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Saw a real forged front wheel for sale and had to get it
Less than 3kg, almost half the weight of the std cast wheel

AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Nice you getting the rear too ?