Maybe a VTR owner

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Mick B

Maybe a VTR owner

Post by Mick B »

Now then chaps just popping in to say hi.
Anyway the story is, a guy at work is selling a mint red VTR, 1 owner from new(him) and 11,000 miles on the clock R reg.I know him and the bike very well and it is in show room condition. It will have full tax and test and all the history etc in with the mates rate of around £1750 . It has no marks rust damage abuse anywhere so I see this as a bargain.

Now the problem

I passed my test 11 yrs ago (young 40 year old now) and had a Suzuki GSXF750 that I had no probs riding. I haven't rode a bike for the past 6 yrs and was looking for a CBR600 ish type of bike till I saw the Storm. I love it but wondering if it will be to big power wise with been away for a while and will the V Twin be ok for my second bike.

Dont want to sound like a wimp but dont want to get it wrong.My type of riding will be cruising and little touring etc.

Cheers fellas,cracking site ;0)
Giddsy

Re: Maybe a VTR owner

Post by Giddsy »

You'll be fine for sure. She can be a relaxed beast as well as a monster..! :wink:

And for that price and bike, it's too good to miss...

Welcome aboard...!
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Arrr ..sounds like your about to be a firestorm owner to me....And you could do a lot worse. Just take it easy, and there will be plentyof good advice on this forum ....and enjoy your biking
Cheers ChrisC
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Hello Mick.

The storm is quite an easy bike to ride, you should have no problems with it.
Rich.

LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

Hi Mick,

Well i'm the opposite. Passed my test only 30odd days ago and went from a 125 to a 1000 and its a real kitten....

And then you turn the key!!!

Seriously, i'm just getting used to mine - had her two days now and she's a little worse than yours, but still a great ride. Gently does it is the key.

60mph just comes up quicker and in second at 3000revs as opposed to 5th gear and 9000 on the 125!!!

Smiles galore though,
Welcome and have fun!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Mick you will have no bother at all. Things to watch for after riding an inline 4 for a while.

1. Twins dont behave perfectly at low revs so watch for stalling. Give it a little more power/clutch for a while until you have mastered it.

2. Lots of torque low down (compared to your old GSX) so quite easy to spin up the rear during inclement weather.

3. Carb farts......Sometimes on the overun the bike will sort of back fire and give you a fright (not scary). You will understand after it has happened.

Listen to the guys on here as they know thier Storms

Enjoy
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Hi Mick,

You should get on with the Storm fine. They're a pretty easy to live with introduction to big twins.

Enjoy the "torque" on the board as well as the bike :biggrin
SP1's rock!
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

hi mick, welcome to the world of v twins! :twisted: enjoy!!
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Beamish wrote:Mick you will have no bother at all. Things to watch for after riding an inline 4 for a while.

1. Twins dont behave perfectly at low revs so watch for stalling. Give it a little more power/clutch for a while until you have mastered it.

2. Lots of torque low down (compared to your old GSX) so quite easy to spin up the rear during inclement weather.

3. Carb farts......Sometimes on the overun the bike will sort of back fire and give you a fright (not scary). You will understand after it has happened.

Listen to the guys on here as they know thier Storms

Enjoy
Good advice IMHO.

Also if you change down to quickly in the lower gears while braking hard-ish with the front brake, as in approaching a roundabout etc, it's very easy to lock up the back wheel, I know from experience, on my test ride I did it twice :!:

Another thing you'll need to get used to is not having to rev it hard like an inline four to make quick progress, and changing from 1st to 2nd gear is best done ASAP for the smoothest change.

I think you'll be OK if you take things sensibly and don't get over confident or cocky with it too early on. After all you must have a fair amount of common sense for you to post your question in the first place :)

Chris.

PS. I nearly forgot :) Welcome aboard Mick :!: :D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote:

Also if you change down to quickly in the lower gears while braking hard-ish with the front brake, as in approaching a roundabout etc, it's very easy to lock up the back wheel, I know from experience, on my test ride I did it twice :!:
You can just keep a little pressure on the clutch lever if you go down two or more gears at once- it allows it to slip a bit and stops the rear locking.
Useful in the wet or if banked over.

And welcomaroonie.

(I know, but I feel so silly just saying "welcome" every time).
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Well fellas first off thanks for the welcome :mrgreen:

I have just brushed down the old Dianese leathers and going to buy a new lid on Saturday so things are looking positive. My mate is back off holiday Saturday so I think the deal must be done :D

A new Storm is on the horizon me thinks :mrgreen:
tentman

Post by tentman »

Hi
I have posted that I am picking up my new limited edition VTR on Sunday. What i didnt let you know is i am going from a RD 400 to the VTR. So I am in a similar position to Mick B. Its the torque and the shifting down the gears im a bit worried about. With the two stroke, which was heavily modified (ill put an image in for you) you could thrash it and change down with no problems....

Ill just be a wimp and see if that works well to start with..

My old rd400

And my new VTR

Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Could you not have kept the RD? That looks like a great bike.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Beamish wrote:Could you not have kept the RD? That looks like a great bike.
My thoughts as well.........Get the storm and keep the stroker as well! you can never have enough toys, and that one looks like it has had some serious mods done, shame to let it go.

Can I have it to add to my collection?
AMcQ
tentman

Post by tentman »

Hi
The RD was mad, im 40, fat and worn out so it had to go, i know ill never get anything as one off as that ever again.
If you want to see more about the rd then take a look at http://www.chequeredflagextremecycles.c ... 2&pageid=1 then scroll down the page until you get to the yams and the rd400 hybrid.

I didnt sell it for anywhere near what its up for now but there you go, i was happy with what i got.

Im hoping the VTR will still give me a buzz (to much im sure) and as ive never rode a twin its going to be a whole new way of riding.

Gary