1000 miles with the SP

General Bike chat
Beamish

1000 miles with the SP

Post by Beamish »

Well as the title suggests I have covered about 1000 miles and here are my findings.

I have now tuned into the dynamics of the bike and can now feel where and when it is most stable, it is a great handling machine extremely happy on fast sweepers where you can just throw it over, wind the throttle on gently at first then feed the power in or, hang off the bike stand it up a little more and bury the throttle to the stop :twisted: In the twisties I would struggle to stay with a good rider on a ZX6rr or similar as the weight takes some flicking over and I wouldnt even bother trying to stay with a latest gen Blade/R1 (well I might :P ), but it is still a tremendous handling machine and gives a great sense od achievement if you get it right. I have softened up the rear rebound comp as it was skipping over bumpy corners and stopping me been able to read the grip. Seems a lot better now but I am not a racer so its prob just in my head :oops: The engine is perfect once away from 30/40MPH streets. I find that to progress rapidly its best to leave him singing at around 6K RPM before you go for it and then match revs to gear on down changes to keep things smooth, I dont bother with the clutch shifting up if I am getting on it. The clutch and box are sweet, no problems at all. The gearing is way to tall though and I think down one tooth on the front + healer should be a better combo. I have already commented on the fuelling and its not bad but bumpy roads at 30mph are seriously hard work.
I was told before I bought one that the SP and the Firestorm are chalk and cheese but i have to disagree, I think there are lots of similar points in their characters. The engine on my red Storm with the filter and cans felt very similar to the SP but where the Storm started to tail off at around 8500-9500RPM the SP is making (or seat of pants) feeling to make its strongest wave of power. On the other hand though a serious amount of modding would be needed for a Storm to match the SP's handling. All in all this is the start of a beautiful frendship and I hope to meet with as many Storm/SP owners as soon as poss. You never know there may even be a few new faces :biggrin
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Jbrebel

Re: 1000 miles with the SP

Post by Jbrebel »

Good write up mate. Interesting...

:D
SP1's rock!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

FirestormMike wrote:He's hooked isn't he. :)
1000 miles already....
:D :D your not wrong.....This particular SP2 will not be one of the many low mileage examples available. :cool2
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

8) Good man! It's not an ornament!
SP1's rock!
Razor

Post by Razor »

Good write up, have to agree with you it's not town bike in any shape or form. Get it on the open road and it comes into it's own, which is a pure pleasure to ride, miles of smiles and thats what it's all about.
The handling is spot on but it does require a bit more rider input to get the most out of it.
I can't comment of the difference between a Storm and a SP1/2 because i've never riden a Storm, I just know that I won't be going back to an IL4 for a very long time.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Sounds great fun. Makes me even more peed off that I haven't had a bike for over a year now. Always wanted an SP. How do you find the rinding position compared to the storm?
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

I'd be interested Tim. Any opinions on different bikes are worth a read imo.

Like someone said the other week (can't remember who now...) quite a few of the members on this forum have various different bikes now :)
SP1's rock!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Sounds great fun. Makes me even more peed off that I haven't had a bike for over a year now. Always wanted an SP. How do you find the rinding position compared to the storm?
Very similar, if you find the Storm uncomfy on the wrists then the SP will hurt you they are two of a kind. The rearsets are not too high so its not a bad bike for hips and back (just my opinion FSM may disagree). The seat is rock solid though, totally hardcore.

I could do one on the CB1300 after 2000 miles but somehow i dont think the members of this forum would be quite so interested as they are in an SP2
Tim I am interested . I think most bikers like to hear the pros and cons of other models.
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

I could do one about the GSXR but i did the same with the last one adn this is identical!

I like the write up Jim, good work :wink:
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

mellis wrote:I could do one about the GSXR but i did the same with the last one adn this is identical!

I like the write up Jim, good work :wink:
Thank you, does your latest Gsxr feel exactly the same? I tend to find that no two bikes are totally alike, you happy to be IL4' in again? Suppose the last twin will put you off for life :eek2
Good luck on keeping your licence :wink:
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Beamish wrote:
Very similar, if you find the Storm uncomfy on the wrists then the SP will hurt you they are two of a kind.
I dunno...my 'Storm used to kill my wrists, but the SP was OK (not touring OK, but at least I could bend my wrist after a ride out)....maybe the clipon angle was a bit different.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Zakalwe wrote:
Beamish wrote:
Very similar, if you find the Storm uncomfy on the wrists then the SP will hurt you they are two of a kind.
I dunno...my 'Storm used to kill my wrists, but the SP was OK (not touring OK, but at least I could bend my wrist after a ride out)....maybe the clipon angle was a bit different.
My opinion my be slightly tainted though, I had a fair gap between the Storm and the SP so you are prob right.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Sounds like I'm going to have to rob a bank and buy one!!!
The Aprilia Tuono is another bike I had been thinking of (streetfightered RSV)
Renthals on an SP Like I did on my storms????
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Very good write-up Jim :!: :D

Glad too hear you are really pleased with this SP2, after all it was a bit of a gamble :!:

Chris.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

sirch345 wrote:Very good write-up Jim :!: :D

Glad too hear you are really pleased with this SP2, after all it was a bit of a gamble :!:

Chris.
It was a gamble Chris but it has always been on my list of 'bikes to own before you die' so eventually one would have turned up Casa del jimzy :lol: