Goodbye!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself

What's the first thing you'd do to a standard Storm?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:25 pm

Exhaust
67%
Bellypan
6%
Rearend+lights
No votes
RearSets
No votes
Other -
28%

Total votes: 18

LutonStorm

Goodbye!

Post by LutonStorm »

Well no. Actually it's another hello but I couldn't think of another version of "hello" that hadn't been used already!

Ok, been biking for a year and passed my DAS recently on the new test. Buggered the ride up by making a "poor" decision to overtake a parked van and not "expecting" the on-coming car to swerve into MY lane! ANYWAY.. Over that now and looking for someting OTHER than the screeming in-line 4's that shoot around Luton every day!
Hence the Storm. Been looking for a while and found one locally. Red, R reg- 23k and absolutely standard. Thats what I like. a "Micron" sticker hiding a crack in the front faring and a rusting seat mount that can be easily cured but that's it. Needs the 24k service so will get the CCTs checked at the same time.
Will post pics when i've figured out how to!

Got over the stigma that your first bike CAN'T be anything other than a 600 sports and realised I can kill myself on the 125 i've been riding for a year. So why not learn to REALLY ride on a proper bike. And it's not a FireBlade so I wont be dead by the weekend! No malace intended!!!

Have fun out there...
SK
marravtr

Re: Goodbye!

Post by marravtr »

ow do matey, welcome in 8)
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

ok, Have PhotoBucket, will travel.

Not too shabby for just over a grand? Nothing a tin of T-Cut and some lovin' wont fix!
Thanks for the welcome, ps
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

looks tidy mate, though your mirror's wont last leaning her against the wall on em!
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Good value mate and a nice looking bike, just a word of warning though, the Storm can bite just as easily as a Blade so take it easy for a while till you get used to the power delivery and the engine breaking.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

marravtr wrote:looks tidy mate, though your mirror's wont last leaning her against the wall on em!
Has Timbo had the sidestand away?

And welcome.

Micron fairing, eh?
Not all they're cracked up to be, IMHO.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

Good tip on takin' it easy. Certainly will be - Did the 500 bit of the DAS on a Suzuki VTwin and felt the engine brakin so have a small (ok, tiny) idea of the torque i've gotta get used too!

And yes, these are the stock photos of the bike from the shop. I've checked the mirror ends and they aren't scratched so i won't be smacking wrists yet!!

Micron are now officially making plastic parts too, and not just metal ones!!! If i remove it , is there a mend option on the panel or just a replace option?

Otherwise, can't wait to get on her. Is it ok to feel half nerves and half adrenal rush??

And is about £300 for a full service from a Honda dealer about the usual (inflated) price? He wants a further £70 for doing the CCTs wilst he's inside her!
Again, is that about right??
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Ow do and welcome :biggrin

The price you've quoted sounds about par for the course with a main stealer ship.

It cost me around 250 for a major on my TL-with a few extra's as I knew the mechanic/dealer :wink:-can't you find an independant that'll do it cheaper? Or have a stab yourself?

I do all my own servicing tbh. I've had to leave out on a couple of bits-ala TL-as I didn't have the space at the time.
SP1's rock!
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

Actually there is a local chap who i'm recommended - but he's also the seller so i'm looking for an independent opinion. When I suggested the CCTs would need checking his reply was "I've never had a problem with them" and that'sd contrary to what everyone else says. But locals all praise him for general servicing which he quoted at about £50-75 less than the stealership!

I'm also very tempted to get the Haynes and have a stab myself sometime. I've downloaded a version of the Honda Service Manual and thought i'd do some low level maintenence to start.

Cheers for the thoughts
SK
kevg

Post by kevg »

Hi Luton, welcome aboard, i'd change the cans first, get a good loud set of microns or blu flames and make the bike growl like it should, plenty of other cans to choose from as well.

i'd be carefull if your using the Haynes for changing the CCT's, i haven't done the job myself but i'm sure the manual is wrong about how to do this job, there are some good guides written by some of the members on here which will be more usefull to you.

don't be affraid to ask for help there are plenty of people here to help you out, do searches to, you'll generally find what your looking for.
cheerz

kev
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

Ahhh Timbo... thank you for the alternative welcome.
Konichiwa... Dom Origato, Guzaimass... Thank You, Very MuchBikerSan...

I'll deffo get the CCTs done then and get a good butchers at the Reg/Rec when I take possession. Oh, God... Can't wait.

Chatting to you all soon, and according to the survey so far...cans it is..... I work at 06:00 usually. Don't wanna get an ASBO for noise, but then I've gotta let the girl sing..!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

LutonStorm wrote:
I'll deffo get the CCTs done then and get a good butchers at the Reg/Rec when I take possession. Oh, God... Can't wait.

Chatting to you all soon, and according to the survey so far...cans it is..... I work at 06:00 usually. Don't wanna get an ASBO for noise, but then I've gotta let the girl sing..!
Welcome aboard LutonStorm :!: :D
That is what I would suggest CCT's first, followed by the rectifier, then the world is your oyster :D
Beamish wrote: just a word of warning though, the Storm can bite just as easily as a Blade so take it easy for a while till you get used to the power delivery and the engine breaking.
IMHO very good advice there from Beamish :!:

Chris.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Oops just noticed my spelling of engine BREAKING? Sometimes I make myself cringe.... engine *****braking****** twas not a freudian slip :D
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Re cracked fairing panels- you can ride it as is, they won't crack any further unless you drop it (or park it against a wall :D )

Repairs are possible, it'll then need a respray and stickers.
The "VTR" sticker on the side of the main fairing is only about £6, a lot cheaper than I'd imagined it would be.

Get out there!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

I promise i'm not being lazy but...
With regard to the fairings, where's the best place to get replacement items so I can get an idea of costs versus repair and spray? Nothing racey, just exact replacements or patterns.

cheers
SK