New to the world of the Storm

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
bigfatbloke-71

New to the world of the Storm

Post by bigfatbloke-71 »

I have ridden for the last 8 or so years and for for the few of them had VFR's, which I loved.

Do to a recent change of circs I had to sell the VFR and get something cheaper, but found a belting Storm for £1100.

I love it.

Ridden about 1000 miles on it in the last few weeks, but need to get the suspension set up. I have not touched it since I bought it, but the front is too hard and the back way too soft. This is because the preload if would all the way out and I am a fat git. What size C spanner does it need as I don't have one.

Only other thing I want to know is what tyres do people love - I am a fan of Avon storms on the VFR and hope they are as good on the Storm

Kev
Stratman

Re: New to the world of the Storm

Post by Stratman »

bigfatbloke-71 wrote:I have ridden for the last 8 or so years and for for the few of them had VFR's, which I loved.

Do to a recent change of circs I had to sell the VFR and get something cheaper, but found a belting Storm for £1100.

I love it.

Ridden about 1000 miles on it in the last few weeks, but need to get the suspension set up. I have not touched it since I bought it, but the front is too hard and the back way too soft. This is because the preload if would all the way out and I am a fat git. What size C spanner does it need as I don't have one.

Only other thing I want to know is what tyres do people love - I am a fan of Avon storms on the VFR and hope they are as good on the Storm

Kev
Have always used the Avons on mine for the last 9 years :)
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Kev :!: :D

I (as Stratman) use Avons too, I think it was Paul (Stratman) who put me on to them in the first place :D

Chris.
bigfatbloke-71

Post by bigfatbloke-71 »

Thanks for the reply's

Storms all round :biggrin
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Hi, and welcome.

I can recommend Hagon's remote reservoir shock- £375 all in, delivered.
The remote adjuster bit's an extra £125, but well worth it if you ever carry a pillion or lots of camping gear, as adjusting the normal one's a skinned knuckle job.

Front end can be anywhere from a change of oil to a full Roger rebuild- as already advised, search and ye shall find :wink:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi Kev (BFB -71)

Welcome to the forum straight jackets and Prozac available on request - You will need one or both at some time on here! You'll know it's time when either the nervous tick starts or your sides start splitting!

As you'll see if you check out the Workshop section there's plenty of help on here including at least one 'sticky' thread dedicated to suspension tuning.

There's obviously a lot of opinion on tyres - they're a very personal preference thing with most bikers no?

I know there's a few threads dedicated to preferred tyres too, not sure if all in 'Workshop' probably not all, including at least one 'poll' on tyres too.

Timbo wrote:Hi BFB, welcome to the forum.

Wished i had thought of your username when i joined as i am also of a more rotund shape :)

Tim
Bugger Tim you beat me to it! :cry:

Even before I saw your reply I was formulating some witty response including your good self! :lol:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:P Welcome Aboard :P

So is the 71 bit of your name a belt size or D.O.B?

It could change what I recommend on suspension settings :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Pete.L wrote::P Welcome Aboard :P

So is the 71 bit of your name a belt size or D.O.B?

It could change what I recommend on suspension settings :wink:

Pete.l

??What??

You can get age-related suspension settings now??

I want one :D
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigfatbloke-71

Post by bigfatbloke-71 »

The 71 is a year of birth thing :)

Thanks for the advice so far - will be more questions forthcoming.
Seven Of Nine Firestorm

Post by Seven Of Nine Firestorm »

Welcome to the forum bigfatbloke-71. Have to ask how are you finding the storm V2 compaired to the VFR inline 4's
bigfatbloke-71

Post by bigfatbloke-71 »

The VFR is not an IL4 but a V4.

The storm has loads more torque down low than the VFR, but simular up at the top.

The VFR was a doddle to tour on (Did Lands End to John O'Groats in a day 2 years ago) and is very easy everywhere.

Handling wise, my VFR had the edge as it had an Ohlins shocker on the back and springs and revalve on the front, for my weight. Also had it set up professionally, so it was awesome.

Once I have got the Storm set up properly I can make a proper comparision, but will be sticking new springs and oil in the front before next year.