thinking about running away

General Biker Banter
jurgen

thinking about running away

Post by jurgen »

Hi All

Well that's it i think i've had enough, loosing my job in 2 months ish and have had a brain wave, i've always wanted to go and travel so I'm thinking about taking my bike and hitting the road for about a month through europe. I was just wandering if anyone on here has done anything like this, or has any must see places that they think should be caught?

cheers

Jurgs
Jurgs
storminateacup

Re: thinking about running away

Post by storminateacup »

Yeah I did it back in '81 took to the skies in a small aeroplane intending to fly around most of Europe got as far as Jersey met a woman got married lost all my money, luckily I managed to lose her as well after 4 years of misery and came back and started all over again much wiser.

So my advice is go don't talk to any dark haired dark eyed sexy women only get your leg over your bike and you may get back unscathed.

Am I bitter of course I'm f###ing bitter :twisted:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Razor

Post by Razor »

I haven't done it but I have thought about it.
The farm I work on is closing down sept/oct, i'm not only going to be out of work but also need to find somewhere else to live, I live in a tied house i.e. it comes with the job, no job = no house :(
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Sorry to hear that Razor. Hope you get something sorted out.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jurgen,
IMHO if you're seriously thinking about it go for it, don't wish you did do it once you're tied down with commitments etc, because it'll be too late then.

Razor,
I'm sorry too hear that too, I'm sure something will turn up in both senses, although it probably doesn't feel like it at the moment :!:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Everyone's catching it lately, just being made redundant myself.

A few years back, I sold my share of a small business and took myself off on a windsurfing holiday for two weeks to Tenerife with a mate.

On the last day, flight wasn't until the afteroon, so we went for a last blast on the boards in the morning.

I lay on the sand, and decided to just stay there, and see what happened. My mate went and packed, and left for home, and I just hung around.

Got thrown out of the apartment after a week, but found that if I waited until the maids started cleaning one apartment, they left keys in several others in that row that they'd get round to next, so I "borrowed" a set of keys.

As the season was over, no-one was booked into this apartment for a while, so as long as I let myself in quietly and left early in the morning before the cleaners came round I had a free place to stay.

After that, it all went downhill, as I found a job selling timeshare, and that lasted about six months.

In the meantime, the girlfirend of the bloke I went out windsurfing with originally split up from him, so I sent her the keys to my flat back in the UK.

She stayed there, (and we'd always got on really well), and a few long telephone calls later.....

I flew back without telling anyone, about six months after going on a two-week holiday.

She had another bloke living in my flat with her, the place was a tip, etc, etc.

Long story short, we ended up getting together after that all blew over, and she eventually jilted me eleven days before the wedding.
I was livid, as I could only get half the deposit back on the limo.

So go for it, but I'd add redheads to the list of women to avoid......... :wink:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I think i'll jump on this moaning band-waggon as well :roll:

We are in the 90 day consultation period at work right now, the factory has announced 160 redundancies 8O (out of 500 workforce) ,so far they have got only around 50 volunteers :!: We are on short time working right now, we are losing a lot of money,the factory and the workers personally, and will be on short time working for months,we have been since last year.

I "think" my job will be safe, but ,in situations like this ,you just cant tell. :?

Within a few weeks everyone is going to get a letter ,saying either "your job is at risk" or "not at risk" :!: :!: Basically , outwith those who have already volunteered , the 100 or so who recieve the "at risk" letters are out of a job :!:

The volunteers are leaving with around £1k for every year worked,this includes holiday pay,12 weeks notice pay,and severence pay .

Ive worked there for 14 years ,so id leave with roughly £14k if i volunteered... 8O ,ive never had that kind of money in my life, i could buy myself a new garage , get my runway tarred or mono-blocked,etc etc,so much i could do with that kind of money :!:

So...do i jack in my job and take the money, hoping i can get work within a short period of time before the redundancy money runs out, or do i work away, week in, week out , but never having any spare money to get the things we'd like done :?:

As ive got 2 teenage kids, and my wife works only part time (min wage) ,Mortgage etc ,theres nowt really to think about ,theres NO way i can take a risk by volunteering, there are factories closing everywhere around here ,and not just in the Auto/Engineering industry either.

Of course, as i said above ,the decision could be taken out of my hands if i get one of those "at risk " letters :(
Stevie