Another new guy with a few questions...

General Bike chat
MattP

Another new guy with a few questions...

Post by MattP »

Hi all
I've just joined the world of the Storm and the first week has been a joy. It's the silver lining to a cloud that left my beautiful TT600 under a bus (I don't care what anyone says it's a wombles fantastic bike), the insurance gave me just the right money to buy a mint '99 Storm. A mate (Falco owner) twisted my arm and lo and behold I'm back on a twin (one of my previous was a 900 Monster).

Enough about me, here's the Q's:
Can you put a larger tank on the older bikes?
Has anyone got great suspension settings for 12.5st? - the front fork is sooo soft!!
Can you put any slip on cans without any engine adjustments (does the leaner running give you better tank range?) - I'm sure you've all got an opinion on the best buy.

That's enough for now, they'll be much more later

Cheers
Matt
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

You can put cans on the VTR with no adjustment.

Suspenstion settings - These are taken from "Performace Bikes"
http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/images/page_1.jpg
http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/images/page_2.jpg

The only real cure for the soft forks is a respring. I'm running with Ohlins linear rate springs at the moment and it has made a big difference. If you want them really sorted then send them off to Revolution ( http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk ). They will do a full respring and revalve on them to match your weight and riding style all for £200.

Al.
erion996

Post by erion996 »

hello i am also new here and i have a question will f4 forks work if you use the calipers?

p.s. great forum
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

If I'm right in thinking that those forks are off a CBR6 they will still need revalved and sprung due to the extra weight of the VTR so best to stick with the VTR forks IMHO.

Al.
erion996

Post by erion996 »

thanks for the info. i just bought it and not knowing that it had bent forks. does anyboady here have any forks for sale?

erion996
stormcloud

Post by stormcloud »

Dont know how much they'd cost, but some people have been rapt with the results from putting in 97-98 Fireblade forks. You get Compression damping adjustment as a bonus. Apparently they bolt right in and take the VTR calipers, disks, wheels etc.

Might be worth looking into.

Cheers, Stormcloud
erion996

Post by erion996 »

FIREBLADE IS THAT A CBR 900RR I AM FROM THE STATS WE CALL THEM DIFFERNT THINGS JUST WANT TO BE RIGHT.

ERION996
stormcloud

Post by stormcloud »

Yep, its the CBR900RR. Sorry about that. Here in OZ, a Racetech fork upgrade - springs/goldvalves and labour set up to individual spec is about half the price of a pair of 900RR forks. You dont get any Compression adjustment though...
I suppose you pays your money and you makes your choice.
Good luck.
There's info on the net by guys that have done the fork swap - let us know if you need/want some contact info..

Cheers.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Fireblade fork upgrade info -

http://www.vtwo.demon.co.uk/firestorm/bladeforks.htm

Pesonally I'd just get some new fork tubes and get them re-valved and sprung at Revolution. Even if you go for the fireblade forks you still have to ge them resprung to suit the extra weight of the VTR £££.

Al.