feeling good! (wheelie thread!!)

General Bike chat
Scott Malcolm

Post by Scott Malcolm »

Hey all,

I can ride 1st until the rev limiter kicks in. Having trouble changin' gears though. Can anyone roll on wheelie in 2nd? My bike doesn't seem to have the enough umph too. I can barely lift the tire with the clutch in 2nd unless I'm over 7 g's and got less than half a tank.

Scott

p.s. :D just found this forum and think it's great!
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Your all a bunch of flash bastids - I want to be able to do it but Im a big girls blouse (despite attending the wheelie school!)

:cry:
Loopy

Wheelies

Post by Loopy »

Yo Scott. It is all in your timing. My Storm will go up on its own in second if I am sitting upright. Just practice your timing. If you find your self giving the bars a huge tug, you are trying too hard and not using the right part of the power band.

The thought of you reving the knackers off your poor bike in first makes me cringe.

Have a look at this wheely on my KTM. I know it is easier to wheely than a road bike, but notice the lack of revs and lack of effort in lifting the front. My Storm goes up even easier because it has got much more power over a far wider rev range. Just keep practising. (On private roads of course !)

http://www.paul.lia.btinternet.co.uk/ktm.mpg
LOOPY
Scott Malcolm

Post by Scott Malcolm »

Loop,

where abouts are you in the rev range for 2nd gear roll ons? I've been all over. I also need to move my ass way back on the seat for 2nd gear snaps. Don't worry about my bike, I don't do it to often :lol:
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

the man is a complete loony.....

i can get the front in the air, but only if i give it loads of wrist from a standstill.....

how the hell do you actually do this whilst moving & then control the damm thing........

(seriously) i am actually interest in learning this.......loads of my mates can do it..........but not me....

someone help me !!!!
Scott Malcolm

Post by Scott Malcolm »

essexbloke wrote:the man is a complete loony.....

(seriously) i am actually interest in learning this.......loads of my mates can do it..........but not me....

someone help me !!!!
It's really just a matter of actually doing it. I couldn't do wheelies for a long time because I never actually tried too. I figured it was high time to start learning this year. Try and do wheelies every chance you get (where safe). Get the bike moving along in first and whack the throttle a bit. You'll begin to learn how much throttle=how much wheelie. If all you see is sky, apply the rear brake! Eventually you'll find that sweet spot, then you can start paying attention to throttle control to maintain it. Don't be afraid of it. My buddie (ZXR) is dying to learn wheelies, but he's scared to death everytime the front end get's an inch off the ground. I'm guessin' he'll never learn. Pratice, practice, practice.

Scott
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

cheers m8..guess what i'll be doing on the way home from work tonite !!!!!
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

essexbloke,

I Guess, snapping the throttle open, then thinking *uck whyed i do that as the thing goes skyward and either you butt lets go or ya back tyre, then it's all crossed up and ya nearly flipped it, fork seals go on the landing and then your left feeling cold and a little pain in ya stomach, but *uckin happy you will feel.

Del.
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Thats about the strength of it. But it is sooooo adictive you will have to do it again.
LOOPY
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Boo havnt had chance to try it out yet.....shitey weather at the mo.....

(thought it would be safer to try on dry tarmac for the meantime!!!)
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

I reckon thats about it for this year. I will be very surprised if we get a dry unsalted weekend before next spring. Miserable thought isnt it :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Every year I always plan to put my bike away for the winter but I have never managed it yet. Last winter I had my Varadero which was quite good fun in the wet. Sitting upright with big wide bars and loads of low down stomp from that big V twin we all love. Powersliding out of corners was as addictive as wheelies. So I sold it and bought the Supermoto so I could do both ! The salt is a bitch to the alloy on the KTM but it cleans up alright. For the first time in 30 years of riding I am lucky enough to have two great bikes at the same time so I think the Storm can rest easy over the winter and let the KTM take the abuse.

Does any one use their storm over the winter ? Is the alloy sh*te like on the Yamahas that I have had. (Last one was a TDM. Fab bike but the brake calipers would sieze up overnight if used on wet salted roads.) The Varadero stood up quite well so I would think the Storm wouldn't be too bad?
LOOPY
smokin joes

NEW BLOKE !!

Post by smokin joes »

Hi
new to this forum, I have a 15 toth front, and it just lifts off the throttle in first, but how do I master the "elevated gearchange" ?????

I NEED to do 100 yards !!(its my age I think)
Sex is like air. It only becomes really important when you aren't getting any.
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

dont look at me for advice on wheelies, i 'm relativly new at that game.....

Loop m8, i've only had my VT since July, but am planning on using as much as physically possible through winter.....(Unless its really shite...)

will let you know how it copes, but could be looking for a new one by next spring !!!!
Scott Malcolm

Post by Scott Malcolm »

What exactly do you gain from a 15 tooth sprocket? What's the stock sprocket, 16 tooth?
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

If you're gonna ride through winter then take my advice and pay particular attention to the front of the engine when cleaning. I was a bit lazy in that area and it showed BIG TIME. The finish corroded and looked shite after just a couple of weeks.

Another tip of mine is to spray castrol chain wax onto all your ally fasteners/allen bolts as it creates a watertight seal. Yeah it'll look pig ugly (it sets into a green wax) but it stops salt getting to the ally.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch