Manx GP - Isle of Man

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Manx GP - Isle of Man

Post by RedStormV »

Anyone interested?

Anyone going?

Anyone who's fancied the IOM and hasn't done it yet, I can highly recommend the Manx GP.

If you like the old classics, then this is the one for you!!!! Manx Nortons, Velo's, MV's the lot! and at speeds you wouldn't think possible (not with those brakes!) What an awesome sound they make too!

It'sd not just classic racing either, there's a full programme of racing from lightweights (125 250 400's) through to full factory Blades Gixxers et al. Won't mention Kwakkers cos they never do owt! :lol:

There's classic racing down at Castletown on a short course during the TT, but for the Manx, they do the full TT circuit.

We'll be camping at Peel as usual and spending far too much money in The Creek (pub) - but what the heck, life's not a rehearsal!

Might get to watch some awesome racing too!

Next year (2009) practice week starts 22nd of August

More info here Manx GP

Ferry bookings here: Steam racket

The atmosphere is a tad more chilled than that of the TT but still bloody brilliant.

The weather for the Manx is also generally more reliable (that said it was pretty poor this year but wasn't it everywhere!)

Police presence is increasing for the Manx too, but still not as much as that for the TT.

Well worth a week or a long weekend, if not the whole fortnight.
andy c

Post by andy c »

Graeme

do you know if the Manx is cheaper to go to than the TT
ferry crossing and Hotel costs ?

been to the TT a couple of times recently and fancy the Manx for a change

If we go it will proberbly for race week
Is that the wek after practise week 29th August ?

Dont fancy camping
too much stuff to take 2 of us on 1 bike
too cold
dont want to be wet all week

Andy
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Andy,

Probably, but not by much.

Ferry is probably a bit cheaper, depends really when you want to sail and return. Also keeping an eye out for 'specials' - although since 100th last year, they just seem to have hiked the prices and left them there! Oh and the £5 each way fuel surcharge is going up next year to £8 iirc.

I usually opt for the 02:15 sailing from Heysham, gets into Douglas around 05:45. Try to get afternoon sailing back into Liverpool then, gets in around 17:30 ish This tends to be one of the cheaper crossing.

I love it, wor lass hates it. She don't do boats and has great difficulty sleeping on 'em. We get there around 21:30, park bike up in the queue, walk up the road to the Duke Of Rothesay, have a few beers till kicking out, then meander back to the ferry terminal just in time to check in and get on board.

Once on, sleeping bag out, get head down for a few hours till it docks in Douglas, quick blat across the island to Peel, pitch tent, head down for another couple of hours, breakfast then out for a blast.

Hotel!!! 8O Cold!!! WTF - Camping is the way to go, especially for the Manx, OK we had a bit o' rain this August but didn't really spoil it too much, thankfully rain tended to be through the night. I would imagine hotels are same price for Manx as TT. What about 'Homestay'? cheaper than hotels.

TBH the weather tends to be more reliable for the Manx than it does for the TT. If you have a good TT you're lucky as you're probably aware. When it rains, it's a bad place to be even in hotels.

I see your point about 2 on 1 bike - but with a rack, a tank bag and some throw-overs, as long as you don't take the kitchen sink and a frame tent, you should have no bother. Our lass ended up with ruck sack on with clothes in, rest of gear was spread between rack etc. Although we did buy a tent specifically for the job a few years ago.

Aztec Duro Plus

Very light weight, poles are very small sections so they don't stick out, even the pegs are ultra lightweight.

Race week normally comes after practice week :roll: :lol:

Have I missed anything?