Bumpy as f**k

General Bike chat
AndyE

Bumpy as f**k

Post by AndyE »

Hi all

Where I live, most of the local roads are very bumpy, especially the minor white roads.

Admittedly my other bike is an enduro bike so the bumps get ironed out by the soft suspension.

Tonight I went out for a little 20-mile bimble around the local roads - around Santa Pod, Bozeat, Wellingborough etc.

On the VTR the bumps on the roads are sometimes so bad I can't even stay on the seat - riding roughshod instead by standing on the pegs, even at fairly low (30mph-ish) speeds.

Is this because the standard suspension is a bit basic (and 28,000 miles old)
Or is it likely to be adjusted too hard?

Anyone live in East Northamptonshire, West Cambs or North Beds fancy a ride of mine to see how it compares to yours?

Cheers!!
Andy
andyh

Post by andyh »

Hi Andy, I live about 25 mile away from you, could meet you tomorrow night around Northampton way if the weather stays fine :?: My Storm is still on the factory settings on the suspension, so you can compare it with that too. Cheers Andyh.
AndyE

Post by AndyE »

Hi Andy

Much appreciated - I am in London today and will probably get back too late - but I will definitely take you up on your kind offer for another night!

I'll drop you a PM to suggest some days.

Cheers!
Andy
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

I've got mine on softest settings and it's still bloody hard :evil:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
AndyE

Post by AndyE »

Hi Teacup

Interesting. I will probably turn it down to the softest setting on the shock and turn the damping down on the front and do a comparison.

I weigh about 13 stone - what do people have theirs set to?

Does a failed VTR shock usually go springy, too soft or too hard?

Cheers!
Andy
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Andy,

My usual roads are the same type as you describe
I therefore had my storm setup to cope
Penske shock on the rear
Blade forks at the front
It was brilliant!!

Went to Spain earlier in teh year and one stretch of road had the rest of the group going massively into reverse (Tuono, RSVR factory (Ohlins etc) and 07 R1)
My Storm just got on with dealing with it

As standard the rear shock is far too hard (not helped by ungreased linkages) and the front collapses onto the bump stops
Fit Ohlins springs and grease the linkages for a huge improvement in ride quality
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

What setting is your rear shock spring set at Andy :?:

To get anywhere close to the required static sag on the rear it will need to be on the softest setting :!:

Chris.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I don't think it will make much difference how he adjusts the shock, because at 28,000 miles it will be shagged anyway IMHO.

As many know I fitted a Hagon shock several years ago and it has done all I need it to do at a fraction of the cost of more exotic stuff. If I was a dedicated track goer then it may be lacking, but I'm not and it isn't! They will also rebuild them at reasonable cost.

You can fiddle all day with the standard shock, but the spring is too hard. Full stop. Fit a Hagon or other quality aftermarket shock and experience the joys of suspension again!

I have mine set fairly soft because I like it that way. On bumpy B roads I too watch the hardened sprots bike mates disappear backwards as they are set far too hard for the road.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Stratman wrote:I don't think it will make much difference how he adjusts the shock, because at 28,000 miles it will be shagged anyway IMHO.
I would be inclined to agree with you on that Paul, that the damping could have seen it's best days by now :wink:

Chris.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Buying the blade showed me what the VTR should have been. It is soft but does not get thrown out of shape on the bumpy stuff and...........the blade has 35K miles on it so the shock is probably buggered 8O
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
storm warning

Re: Bumpy as f**k

Post by storm warning »

Hi mate, i live in this area as well and don't have too many problems, but then might just ride like a girl, would like to be able to compare storms on some local roads my favourite being around Chelveston/ Kimbolton etc. I'm sure you know them. Let me know when you can make it.
AndyE

Post by AndyE »

Mr. Warning,

I've just got the bike up on blocks at the moment - inspecting the rear linkage and some of the bearings were siezed. Replacing them will hopefully make a nice difference to how it feels - I should have the bits in the post tomorrow.

I'll send you a message when I'm around for a ride over the next couple of weeks.

Cheers!
Andy
AndyE

Post by AndyE »

Update:

Serviced the rear linkage. One of the bearings in the lower dogbone linkage was totally siezed, and I had to hammer the bolt out with a drift.

New bearings and greased the others, it's much better. I'm stunned at the difference fixing one siezed bearing has made.

If you haven't looked at your various linkages, do it now!

Cheers
Andy