Rear wheel bearing(s)

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RQ

Rear wheel bearing(s)

Post by RQ »

Ok guys, the usual is happening to me, get one fixed and the other breaks down.......
Just got the car back on the road when I noticed that the rear wheel on the Storm wobbles a bit, best bit is that I'm sure it has been at it for a while now :oops: !
How big a job is it, how many are there, and is it "Simple"?
Ronan.
Matthew

STOP RIDING IMMEDIATELY

Post by Matthew »

STOP RIDING IMMEDIATELY:

I just found the same on my bike. Just a tad of side play on the rear rim. Took off the wheel to have a new tyre fitted (not because of the play).
I found the inner race was about to fall out. Took out the seal and the balls fell out with loads of cage debris. This debris screws up the seal too.

The good news is that replacement is cheap. Replace both bearings as a pair, and you will need new seal(s) if the cage had fallen apart like mine.
There is a third larger bearing in the sprocket which is advisable to place at the same time, but this is not so dangerous if it fails. Failure of the other two will allow the wheel to collapse in spindle - hence my advice STOP RIDING IT

The new bearings are around £8 each from any bearing shop. The seals are difficult to find and the Honda seal is £10 each.

The inner race is used to knock out the old bearing. If the bearing has collapsed like mine then you will need a TIG welder to attach a plate suitable for hammering it out. At this point you will need to pay someone.

With the wheel off the bike, the whole deal for replacing both bearings and removal/fitting and balancing of tyre was just one hour of labour
from Dave Wood in Aylesbury. Brilliant service.

My failure was at 15,000 miles by the way. Anyone beat that?
RQ

Post by RQ »

Thanks Matthew, I'm thinking that I'll just bring the wheel to a dealer now and get them to do the job !

RQ.