ebay shilling aka bid padding,

Best deals in town
chuxsta

ebay shilling aka bid padding,

Post by chuxsta »

this might be common knowledge to most but its been a good long time since i fequented ebay..
i used to use it not long after it started and it was all personal sales..
and bid padding and shilling was very rare..

but nearly every item i have shown interest in appears to be padded after i bid...

and after reading Ebays policys this is not tolerated..
so im gonna try and haggle these shillers with threating to shop them unless they talk rock bottom prices...

in most cases if they have a low score they wont care but for the power selllers with a good rep built up could loose it all and be banned if they are shopped for this...

a few i have messaged and suggested they are shilling and i would like to talk turkey on a buy now price and so far every one has messaged me back almost instantly wanting an offer....

will keep you posted :P
yorkylancs

Post by yorkylancs »

Bid padding and shilling,wots that then?Spend a lot of time on ebay,any advice helps,espesh if it means not getting fleeced.. :D
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

yorkylancs wrote:Bid padding and shilling,wots that then?Spend a lot of time on ebay,any advice helps,espesh if it means not getting fleeced.. :D
its when false bids are put in by their friends, or bogus accounts the seller makes to pad out the cost..

like when you see a top bollock item stating NO RESERVE
and its at 0.99p
if you bid on it you get outbid by some one called bidder2 then some one called bidder3...

bet you a pound to a pinch of sh1t that those accounts are bogus accounts for that person not wanting their item brand new never used worth £40 at least selling to some one for £5
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

in some cases they might actually be legit accounts, maybe shops looking for bargains and they set up different accounts to bid on different items..

but in some of the cases its blatant shilling..
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Bidders ID's are anonymous on ebay, hence the "bidder2" "bidder3" stuff.

Problem with shilling is proving it.

Ebay don't care, they get their fees whatever happens. Reports will get filed in the "low priority" folder. This is the bucket shaped metal one near the door.

How to avoid it best is by sniping. Only ever bid on something at the last second you dare.

Set a max price you'll pay and just bid that with 10 seconds left to go = instant win at a price you're happy with*. Very rarely you might lose out to a pro sniper or bot program, but I've yet to miss something I wanted that was less than what I wanted to pay.

(* with auto proxy bidding, you will only pay the highest bid needed to win, up to your max)
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

Kitch wrote:Bidders ID's are anonymous on ebay, hence the "bidder2" "bidder3" stuff.

Problem with shilling is proving it.

Ebay don't care, they get their fees whatever happens. Reports will get filed in the "low priority" folder. This is the bucket shaped metal one near the door.

How to avoid it best is by sniping. Only ever bid on something at the last second you dare.

Set a max price you'll pay and just bid that with 10 seconds left to go = instant win at a price you're happy with*. Very rarely you might lose out to a pro sniper or bot program, but I've yet to miss something I wanted that was less than what I wanted to pay.

(* with auto proxy bidding, you will only pay the highest bid needed to win, up to your max)
as much as i admire the programmers that make any bot programme its becoming so freaking annoying they are in the games i play and now genral sites all the name of making money with out doing any thing for it..
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

another mystery solved..

i should stick to what i do best, getting drunk and apologising for what ever it was i did i shouldnt of..... cause detective work aint my bag...

miss marples job is safe for now..

it appears that the names bidder 1 bidder 2 are what show if you wish to not have your name shown while bidding...

although this can obviously be used by the seller to pad the sales its also a feature of ebay.. ( so im told... although i have not looked into it.. )
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi,

The Bidder1, Bidder2 thing also comes in automatically when bids on an auction price reach £100 - another security thing to stop people pestering you if you win or something.

If you're watching the auction early on you can note who's 1st 2nd etc for if it beats £100 but why bother? If you want it bad enough you'll bid, if not you won't.

I know what you mean about Bots and Shilling though - I'll stick with Sniping as Kitch says. There's a risk you may not win but what they hell gives me a rush just counting down the seconds!

:wink:
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Just for info I have a mate who just about earns a living off ebay and he got a right bo***** off them for creating a seperate account and bidding. They do police this type of dodgy behaviour. He could not trade for a while and had to appeal to get his buisness back on line. He is a dodgy Manc geezer anyway...He makes me laugh big time, and I like the lad but would not by a disposable lighter off the bugger :lol: :lol:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

I always try to snipe if there is something I really want. It also means you don't get sucked in to paying more than you think is sensible.
I've seen second hand dubious origin stuff sell for more than I can buy it new.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
warby221

Post by warby221 »

All that glitters on ebay is not always gold :evil:

Cautionary tail

A few years back I had an old gpz 600 and the rubber gators on the mirrors had perished

So had a look on ebay see if I could find any
there was some new pattern ones at £19.00 being sold by a well known internet part seller

thought to myself old stock being sold off cheaper

just for the Hell of it I looked on there site low and behold the same mirrors off the site were £16.00 and the bloody p&p was less to
:x :x :x